How can I learn to ride a motorcycle without knowing how to ride a bicycle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I learn to ride a motorcycle without knowing how to ride a bicycle?

Question How can I learn to ride a motorcycle without knowing how to ride a bicycle?

Hi all,

Last weekend I went to Humber College to take my Motorcycle Safety Course. I never rode a bicycle when I was a kid (social anxiety A.K.A. shyness problems). So I could not balance myself on the motorcycle and had to leave the course I was advised to practice on a bicycle and even use adult training wheels if need, and I'm going to do so. I was wondering if anyone can give me some more advice or share similar experiences.

Thanks,
    Zhubin

Re: How can I learn to ride a motorcycle without knowing how to ride a bicycle?

learn bicycle.. it will make your life easier..

learning bicycle will take you a week,,
    To Achive The Possible, We Must Attempt The Impossible.
    -----------
    02 Suzuki GSX-R600 - Sold

oh mannnnn did they refund your money?????????

Quote Originally Posted by zhoozhoo View Post
    Hi all,

Last weekend I went to Humber College to take my Motorcycle Safety Course. I never rode a bicycle when I was a kid (social anxiety A.K.A. shyness problems). So I could not balance myself on the motorcycle and had to leave the course I was advised to practice on a bicycle and even use adult training wheels if need, and I'm going to do so. I was wondering if anyone can give me some more advice or share similar experiences.

Thanks,
    Zhubin

I dont think there is an easier (and less costly) way to learn balance on motorcycle other than riding a bicycle.

Dropping a $100 bicycle vs. a $3000 motorcycle.

You missed out on your childhood! jk.
    '01 SV650s
    '04 GS500
    '03 SV650s
    '07 GSX-R 600

Hey.. Sorry to hear about leaving the course. This probably didn't make it any easier for you.

Anyways.. In my experience, balance is in large degree a matter of getting used to the "balancing" situation. The first reaction to the possibility of losing balance is the fear of falling. This causes the muscles to tense and body to become rigid. When we get used to it, the body relaxes and it becomes much easier to make small movements to correct the balance.

It's always the hardest at the beginning, so don't worry about it. Practice some more.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

I can relate to zhoozhoo. I was in my late teens and everyone I knew had a bicycle and could ride it except me. They would make fun of me a lot. One day I was so angry and determined to learn how to ride that I took a bicycle up a steep hill that goes straight on to a busy road and told myself that I'm either going to learn or die trying (I was still in a angry state of mind). So got on the bike and started rolling down the hill and the fear of dying in traffic combined with rage helped me balance and even control the bike as I just managed to stop short of the main road. And there you have it, in less than a minute I went from not being able to balance and falling every 5 seconds to being able to ride it properly.

Now please don't attempt the same. I'm just trying to show you that its all in the mind and if you can set aside the fears and replace it with determination you should grasp it pretty fast. If you could find a small decline to start, it helps as it'll get the cycle rolling for you and all you need to worry is balance. The main issue with most is the start - the combination of starting push/speed, balance and control. Once you get balance and control then on a level ground all you've to worry about is the start. At least then you have sense of balance and its only about the push/speed to get it rolling. BTW this is all bicycle tips and not for a motorbike
    Last edited by getfunky; 04-09-2010 at 12:00 PM.

99% people who ride bikes, ride or rode a bicycle. Balance is extremely important on a motorcycle so you will have to practice and overcome your fears.
    Get yourself a cheap, used bicycle. Put some knee and elbow protection on, as well as a helmet and gloves and practice as much as you can. Once you stop worrying about falling, you will find your balance.

I have a similar problem with swimming, I'm afraid of drowning so I tense up and I drown.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

i've never run into someone with an issue such as this... however, i agree- maybe you should try learning balance on a bike first...?

momentum is your friend; the slower you go, the harder it is to keep it straight and upright.

good luck!

2007 Lotus Exige S ~ the grocery-getter
    2004 ZX6R ~ the daily commuter (sold)
    2005 GSXR 1000 ~ the scary thing in my garage (sold to my insurer lol)
    2007 GSXR 1000 ~ the newer scary thing in my garage

Damn, I didn't even know you needed to know how to ride a bike before learning how to ride a motorcycle...that's pretty sad =(
    Hopefully they'll let you do it again for free when you learn =)

Proud owner of a 2001 Kawi 250 (low side count: 3)
    UWaterloo '13-14 - Fin. Analysis, Com. Sci. (SE) Double
    (don't hate on the sig...ye have been warned...)

Quote Originally Posted by ginxer86 View Post
    oh mannnnn did they refund your money?????????
    Luckily the offered to reschedule the course. I'm supposed to call them and reschedule when I feel ready.

Quote Originally Posted by RLapin View Post
    Damn, I didn't even know you needed to know how to ride a bike before learning how to ride a motorcycle...that's pretty sad =(
    Hopefully they'll let you do it again for free when you learn =)
    Me neither, I had no idea. Then at the first lesson when you are supposed to sit on the bike and someone pushes you I realized I couldn't keep my balance. I felt pretty frustrated because I was the only one of 80 students with this problem. I'm also tall - 6'2" - that makes it more difficult.

ha ha who'da thunk you have to ride a bike first.

I wuda thot: learn to ride motorcycle first and THEN learn to ride a bicycle.
    * It's about safety, stupid.

i didnt learn to ride a bicycle until much later as well. I had bikes when i was little, but for some reason the balance never really 'clicked' with me. It wasnt until i was at a friend's house in my teens and her sister's older boyfriend wanted us all to go for a bike ride. When I told him I couldnt ride one, he took me out right away and wouldnt take no for an answer. He went through baby steps lol... exactly what to do, where to lean, how to turn the wheel when i'm falling over... blah blah blah. Seriously, if it werent for that guy, i wouldnt be on a bike today

Quote Originally Posted by zhoozhoo View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks,
    Zhubin
    Try and use some of the same principles, eyes forward, relax your grip on the bars...look where you want to go(this is the key). Your going to need someone who is willing to dedicate a mornings worth of pushing to get you to that balance zone. Find a quiet parking lot that is flat and away from any traffic

My son was a slow learner, balanced challanged but he never gave up. Hang in there and get a good friend to help and teach you.

wow, but........wow...sorry to hear.

I was building ramps and doing stunts on my bike since I was 5! My motorcycle instructers were convinced I rode a motorcycle before my course because I picked up really quickly. I was like "nope" this is my first time on a bike. I was riding bicycles with baseball cards in the spokes for so long it was only a matter of time before I got a real bike, it felt natural because I was used to balancing a bike because of all those years of playing chicken.

first one to put their foot down loses! lol I loved my childhood.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

I just wanted to say good luck, and wish you the best!

Riding a bicycle is a lot of fun. Even if you fall, don't get discouraged!

+1

Goodluck and have fun!

Balance is fundamental, you may even want to start on a scooter (razor) and then progress to a Bike. I would ride the bike for at least a year before I attempting to ride a motorcycle.

There are a lot of things we learn on a bike that will be needed when you ride a motorcycle like counter steering leaning when we need to tighten a corner etc.

Good luck and enjoy

Some people would have gone out and decided to learn how to balance on an R1.. Those threads are more fun..

How to ride a bike in six easy steps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPfR_VjVcZ8

Or Get a helmet, borrow a friend's bike, find a grassy field and ask a friend to teach you.
    Sleeping is my drug,
    My bed is my dealer,
    and my alarm clock
    is the police.