Track Tires. - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Track Tires.

Re: Track Tires.

Ya I figured.

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    Well I was racing on slicks before there were tire warmers? What does that tell me? Not sure just sayin......
    I still prefer slicks. Better traction and they last longer. However DOT race tires are better than street tires (for track use).
    Warmers are better than no warmers .......
    We all make trade offs and use the best information available to make the best decisions we can.
    Ya but, tires also lasted much longer back a few years. Now the carcass's are so thin the side wall of the tire is actually part of the suspension.
    So when we had harder tires,, and racing,,, everyone was in the same boat.,, no warmers. So all was equal.
    Now the tires have such a short life you need "every" possible way you can to stretch them.
    That being said,, for "most" guys doing track days with out warmers. A good DOT will heat up quicker abd offer more options with damp or wet tracks.

The best tire, is the one you get the best deal on and is set up for your bike and your riding style. Doesn't matter what tire with a poor set up and over aggression you can toast a tire pretty quick,,some much faster then others.
    bickleracing@sympatico.ca
    If you PM me it may take longer!

Quote Originally Posted by georgy View Post
    So, are you saying that after 3-4 warm up laps, a brand new slick tire will have less grip than a brand new DOT tire (if no warmers are used)?
    Well, it takes 45 minutes at 20 C to heat soak a tire with warmers,,,ANY warmer.
    So TMP you do what 1:25's just say,,, four laps that's under 6 minutes.
    How could you heat soak the tire? Sure you may get surface heat. But the tire isn't working as it should.
    You have maybe one corner,, corner "one" that builds heat. The rest are hard ,in turn, hard out. Those corners do not build heat. You are not loading the tire for long enough time to generate heat. The pavement is a bit better then Shannonville so I would say you would generate slightly more heat.
    A DOT has grooves so the rubber flexes more and heats up quicker.. SO yes if it's above 15 C a DOT should, pending your riding style generate more heat.
    A slick will take longer to heat up with out warmers.

See here is the thing I used PP2ct's for my track days last year and never even had a slip. I didn't get my knee down either though I was thinking of starting off with a set of Pilot Pures, almost a dot track tire but still get some millage out of them. And once these make it to my street bike get a set of dot race tires. Although that GPA deal I saw on here looks real good too. I don't know, thats the problem I guess. Now how are the GPA's in the wet? If I was to put them on my street bike would they be **** in the rain or what?
    Last edited by Duckriders4r; 04-11-2010 at 08:37 PM.
    2007 Ducati S4R Street
    2004 Kawasaki zx10 Track
    1987 Ninja 750 Gone
    1984 Seca 400 Gone

Quote Originally Posted by john bickle View Post
    Well, it takes 45 minutes at 20 C to heat soak a tire with warmers,,,ANY warmer.
    So TMP you do what 1:25's just say,,, four laps that's under 6 minutes.
    How could you heat soak the tire? Sure you may get surface heat. But the tire isn't working as it should.
    You have maybe one corner,, corner "one" that builds heat. The rest are hard ,in turn, hard out. Those corners do not build heat. You are not loading the tire for long enough time to generate heat. The pavement is a bit better then Shannonville so I would say you would generate slightly more heat.
    A DOT has grooves so the rubber flexes more and heats up quicker.. SO yes if it's above 15 C a DOT should, pending your riding style generate more heat.
    A slick will take longer to heat up with out warmers.
    Thanks John.I think this explains why my tires (bt003r) usually look polished at TMP versus balled up at Mosport.I don't use warmers.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    Thanks John.I think this explains why my tires (bt003r) usually look polished at TMP versus balled up at Mosport.I don't use warmers.
    Ya Mosport as with Calabogie,will show you a huge variance in readings.
    It has some really fast corners were you load the tire for long periods of time. That is how you build heat or maintain it.
    At TMP or Shannonville, the pavement is polished more and you have very short portions of time leaned over. So no real side load to build heat.
    In a perfect world everyone would use warmers but, if you can't use warmers you will get better use out of DOT's on today's tires. NOt to mention be able to get use of a greater variety of track conditions.

BT003RS

They work on my Magna running 1:27 and my CBR 1000 which runs under 1:20

A true racer I am certainly not, just a track day junkie

At 1:35 you should get easily 6 days

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Duckriders4r View Post
    Ok then, looking for advice on a dot track tire, which one? I am just starting to get out of green group into yellow?(intermediate) and I have a zx10r. And what kind of life can i expect out of them for someone who blazes though TMP at 1:35? And no warmers.