Track Tires. - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Track Tires.

Re: Track Tires.

i really appriciate all your opinions, makes making a decision easier.

i think im going to stick with the bt-003 rs. a few bucks more than the pp2/pp combo, but i think it will make it easier for me to learn.

and I wouldn't mind having the extra grip......maybe even get a half decent lap time

how much do slicks go for? $$?

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    how much do slicks go for? $$?
    One thing nobody mentioned: you need a racing license to buy slicks from most manufacturers (can't say all, cuz I don't know). They make a limited amount of them each year, so they reserve them for licensed riders.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

what about

Dunlop 211GP and DUNLOP GP-A Trackday Special !! 1 front and 2 rears for 354.90 + tax!!

vs. the BT-003 RS?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    One thing nobody mentioned: you need a racing license to buy slicks from most manufacturers (can't say all, cuz I don't know). They make a limited amount of them each year, so they reserve them for licensed riders.
    really now... so how do you explain all those riders at track days who do not have a race licence yet ride on slicks?
    BUY MY BIKE!
    2007 Honda CRF 150R Big Wheel Supermoto with dirt wheels, $3600

Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt. - William Shakespare

Another vote for hypersport tires in this case... any model mentioned should do. DOT's and/or slicks may give you extra grip, but I doubt that you need it, and hypersports may give you the best bang for buck (use them for a few trackdays then retire to street).

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    really now... so how do you explain all those riders at track days who do not have a race licence yet ride on slicks?
    I didn't say they can't be bought, and I don't know if all manufacturers have the same "rules," but this is how it's supposed to work. Doubtful that all dealers are following the rules, either.

Or the licensed guys are selling tires to their friends. I've done it twice now, can't see why others wouldn't be doing it.
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F

Where do you get this information from Shaman??

You really need to start checking facts before you post things, your information is NOTHING but false and inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Where do you get this information from Shaman??
    Oh really? Then you may wish to tell that to the guy that told me it. He sells a lot of Michelins so it shouldn't be that hard to figure out who it is. Damn sure knows a lot more about the tire industry than I do. Maybe he was bullshitting me, you're saying?
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F

^^
    hey, what do you know about tires???
    wait...aren't you supposed to be RACING right now
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    Oh really? Then you may wish to tell that to the guy that told me it. He sells a lot of Michelins so it shouldn't be that hard to figure out who it is. Damn sure knows a lot more about the tire industry than I do. Maybe he was bullshitting me, you're saying?
    no idea who you're talking about, what's a michelin?

what about

Dunlop 211GP and DUNLOP GP-A Trackday Special !! 1 front and 2 rears for 354.90 + tax!!

vs. the BT-003 RS?
    I like dunlops.

The 211's are arguably the best tire currently available but they are priced accordingly. The GPA's are a very good DOT race tire. The 003RS is a mix street/track tire whereas the GPA is intended to be a track only tire so it likely won't last as long as the 003RS under street conditions. That being said, getting two rears and a front for that price is hard to argue with.

Shamless plug for my Dunlops:

My Dunlop deal I have going gives you 2 dual compound GP-A med/soft rears and a med GPA front. All three tires for 354$ plus tire tax & taxes. It works out to $420 taxes in. At your pace you should get at least 2 or 3 days out of each rear. Even if you only do 2 days per rear, your tire cost is still only 105$ per trackday, which is unbelievably cheap. Also, if you buy a set of 3, I mount and balance your second rear for free, which saves you another 15$. My suggestion is to put your new tires on before your trackday, then cook them off on the street. GP-A's will likely get around 3-4000km on the street, but you get 2 of them so who cares!

The GP-As I have are 190/55, but measure around 185cm and will fit any 600 '99 and newer

Just something to think about. Dave
    DUNLOP GP-A Trackday Special !! 219.99$ a set!

i can mount my own tires, no issues with mounting/balancing tires.

I just bought a few sets of pilot road 2's, paid $338.50/ set tax in, so im in no need of street tires. Not to mention my piles of 'pretty good' rubber i have laying around.

Shouldn't I stick with a 180/55 rear, insted of 190/50?!

I just bought a few sets of pilot road 2's, paid $338.50/ set tax in, so im in no need of street tires. Not to mention my piles of 'pretty good' rubber i have laying around.

Dunlop does not offer a 180/55 rear race tire. The 190/55 is suitable for use on a 5.5" rim so it will work for you just fine.

I just bought a few sets of pilot road 2's, paid $338.50/ set tax in, so im in no need of street tires. Not to mention my piles of 'pretty good' rubber i have laying around!
    Even better! If you don't need them for street, when youre finished with your GP-A's you can sell them off as scrubs. Heck, if theyre good, I'll buy them back off you!
    DUNLOP GP-A Trackday Special !! 219.99$ a set!

why didn't you say that you already have street tires????

there's NO reason NOT to get proper DOTs or slicks for the track if you already have street rubber
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

Quote Originally Posted by Recidivist View Post
    Shamless plug for my Dunlops:

My Dunlop deal I have going gives you 2 dual compound GP-A med/soft rears and a med GPA front. All three tires for 354$ plus tire tax & taxes. It works out to $420 taxes in. At your pace you should get at least 2 or 3 days out of each rear. Even if you only do 2 days per rear, your tire cost is still only 105$ per trackday, which is unbelievably cheap. Also, if you buy a set of 3, I mount and balance your second rear for free, which saves you another 15$. My suggestion is to put your new tires on before your trackday, then cook them off on the street. GP-A's will likely get around 3-4000km on the street, but you get 2 of them so who cares!

The GP-As I have are 190/55, but measure around 185cm and will fit any 600 '99 and newer

Just something to think about. Dave

Thats a pretty good deal...hmmmm
    NOMFuP, Not My ****ing Problem. - Malcom Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by georgy View Post
    why didn't you say that you already have street tires????

there's NO reason NOT to get proper DOTs or slicks for the track if you already have street rubber
    sorry, I didnt think about that one.

I have 2 bikes, both clean title jobbers....

'97 srad 600, stock with minor mods, filter, pipe, stock jets, with a same gen inverted fork swap. EBC HH pads, stock break lines (will upgrade soonish) , 520 conversion with +1 rear , aluminium sprockets---> This is the track bike.

'98 srad 600, with full exhaust, filter, stock jets, with a 04/05 636 front forks, 05/06 zx10 master 05/06 radial callipers, msr raptor quick pull, SS.brake lines front/back.....525 with steel sprockets etc etc ---> street bike.

one reason to not have slicks is because you don't want to buy a generator and tire warmers.