Track Tires. - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Track Tires.

Re: Track Tires.

Said it before will try one more time.
    FORGET STREET TIRES
    Why would you risk your ***** and your investment (bike,helmet,gloves,boots, etc) to save $80? Makes no sense. Get the right tool for the job.
    There is a HUGE difference between the two. Track tires will improve your safety,confidence, and learning curve. What happens when you get there and outpace your street tires?
    All the manufacturers make DOT approved race rubber.
    If you feel that you dont have the skill to utilize the race tires how are you going to control street tires when they are sliding all over the place as you get faster than them?

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    FORGET STREET TIRES
    Why would you risk your ***** and your investment (bike,helmet,gloves,boots, etc) to save $80? Makes no sense. Get the right tool for the job.
    There is a HUGE difference between the two. Track tires will improve your safety,confidence, and learning curve. What happens when you get there and outpace your street tires?
    If you feel that you dont have the skill to utilize the race tires how are you going to control street tires when they are sliding all over the place as you get faster than them?

done! I agree.

bt 003rs it is....would they be enough??
    Last edited by frekeyguy; 04-09-2010 at 08:02 AM.

I'll chime in and recommend a set of Pirelli DOT tires (Supercorsa) designed for the track. Saving money on your tires at track days isn't really saving money...
    Last edited by Shaman; 04-09-2010 at 08:09 AM.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

I run the BT 003 RS on my Magna pictured here and on my CBR 1000 and they work very well.
    Tire development has come so far in the last 5 years that street tires work very well, and are much more competent than 85% of track riders.

I ran 1:18.06 on the BT016 at TMP (street tire) on my old trackbike and there was still room for improvement. Lap record was at 1:14 for a long time till Jodi Christie showed up.

I was running the BT002 on my CBR 1000RR and was finding a lot of wheelspin on corner exits at Calabogie on the corners where the exit was downhill. I switched over to the BT003RS tires and the difference was admazing.

If going Michelin look at the Pilot Power Pure. I had the chance to try these the other day - WOW!

Donald
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

Quote Originally Posted by toastman View Post
    I was running the BT002 on my CBR 1000RR and was finding a lot of wheelspin on corner exits at Calabogie on the corners where the exit was downhill. I switched over to the BT003RS tires and the difference was admazing.
    This is why track tires work better. Disregard the earlier paragraphs.

If going Michelin look at the Pilot Power Pure. I had the chance to try these the other day - WOW!
    Yep. Best sports tire made at the moment.
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F

The BT003RS is a hypersports street tire, not a track specific tire
    The RS stands for Racing Street

Donald
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

If cost is the issue, buy some good scrubs. I have some sets of Dunlops and Pirelli's with super low laps. 140$ for flawless Pirelli 180's or 160$ for Dunlop or Bridgestone 190's. I actually have a set of 180 Supercorsas from Jody Christie that has "7 Laps" written on it.

Using good quality scrubs is the most cost effective way to figure out what tire works best for you.
    DUNLOP GP-A Trackday Special !! 219.99$ a set!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    Yep. Best sports tire made at the moment.

I usually agree with Shaman unreservedly. He keeps Turbodish under control, which is a service to us all!

But in this instance, lets agree to disagree. Read some articles on the Dunlop Q2 before you open your wallet. I cant wait to see a "hypersport" tire shootout. My money is on the Dunlop.
    DUNLOP GP-A Trackday Special !! 219.99$ a set!

Quote Originally Posted by Recidivist View Post
    But in this instance, lets agree to disagree. Read some articles on the Dunlop Q2 before you open your wallet. I cant wait to see a "hypersport" tire shootout. My money is on the Dunlop.
    I like the cut of your jib, sir. Let the battle begin, I say!
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    FORGET STREET TIRES
    I agree, and here is why;

I was running Pirelli Diablo Corsa's back in 2004, the one they said was 30% street 70% track. They were working great until I got in too deep once, had to lean a bit more than normal and tucked the front. Cost $2000 to repair my bike.

The next season I was running Supercorsa Pro's, got into one corner WAY deeper than the crash in 2004 and was able to lean it to the limit, dragging the peg all the way through the corner, no problem with the tire.

I agree that SS street tires do work fine, most of the time at most paces, but as Caboose said before, if you get in too deep and need to push past the limit of the street tire... see above.

-Dave
    -Dave
    2003 SV650S track bike, 2001 CBR929RR street bike

I usually agree with Shaman unreservedly. He
    keeps Turbodish under control, which is a service to us all!

If cost is the issue, buy some good scrubs. I have some sets of Dunlops and Pirelli's with super low laps. 140$ for flawless Pirelli 180's or 160$ for Dunlop or Bridgestone 190's. I actually have a set of 180 Supercorsas from Jody Christie that has "7 Laps" written on it.
    7 laps by Christie = 70 laps for most track day riders . . .
    2002 FZS1000

-------------
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Wow, lots of interesting points here but let's consider the OP's question/situation.

- never been on track before
    - older GSXR 600
    - probably doesn't have tire warmers
    - not looking to race
    - only doing 2-3 trackdays this year.

I'd be picking up the set of regular PP's.

- They're designed for multiple heat cycles (no need for tire warmers).
    - They are more than adequate for "learning" the track on (which takes a solid day if not a second track day).
    - You don't have to worry about rounding off your more expensive "track" tires on the street. If your really worried about the front end sliding on you, get a 2CT front like murf said earlier.

Don't waste your money! Most people that speak up about tires are those that race and or have dedicated track bikes.

Sure traction is VERY important, but only when you are gonna need it the most. Green/beginner group isn't where you'll need it the most. You'll be learning too much about the bike to be wondering about your tires...

Cheers

Can't disagree more. Tires are the only thing between your bike and the road, and newbs make the kind of mistakes that will push a street tire beyond its capabilities. It's not all about the speed they're travelling, it's about things like panic braking, inappropriate throttle, under-utilizing the tire's sweet spot by properly weighting it, etc.

Track-oriented tires also tend to give more feedback, because they're not built to take potholes and tramlines, so the carcasses can be lighter. Some of them have omni-directional carcasses and can be flipped too, so you can get extra time out of the tire at, say, the Shannonville Nelson layout.
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F

Now I am getting conflicting opinions......

im at most a mid pack rider on the street, I just did a suspensiopn upgrade to my street gsxr....but i'll say im mid pack rider at most.

the bike that's getting track prepped

- '97 gsxr 600 with a set of 750 inverted forks (stock internals)
    - stock rear shock
    - never seen a track
    - do not have tire warmers
    - I AM VERY GREEN
    - the bike has its mild upgrades, filter, pipe, etc.
    - I will get the suspension setup.

But im not looking at buying a generator, tire warmers etc yet....

So would the BT-003RS not work without tire warmers?

I dont mind using a PP2 front with a PP rear.

The thing I dont want to be doing is, spending $250-$350 on tires and be mad about making a wrong decision.

Still not clear about the pros/cons about PP2 front/ PP rear vs. BT-003RS vs. Corsa III?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    Can't disagree more. Tires are the only thing between your bike and the road, and newbs make the kind of mistakes that will push a street tire beyond its capabilities. It's not all about the speed they're travelling, it's about things like panic braking, inappropriate throttle, under-utilizing the tire's sweet spot by properly weighting it, etc.

Track-oriented tires also tend to give more feedback, because they're not built to take potholes and tramlines, so the carcasses can be lighter. Some of them have omni-directional carcasses and can be flipped too, so you can get extra time out of the tire at, say, the Shannonville Nelson layout.
    so your saying , get what tire? and why?

Also what does this mean? "Some of them have omni-directional carcasses and can be flipped too, so you can get extra time out of the tire at, say, the Shannonville Nelson layout."

This is the second thread I've read through and the confusion is just being magnified.

90% of people think the only difference between a "track" tire and a "street" tire is slick vs treaded. A lot of the track newbies are oblivious to what the experienced guys are actually saying.

I agree 100% that a true street tire (like a 2CT) can be problematic. When I had them, they were letting go quite often and I wasn't going that fast.

A treaded track tire on the other hand (like the aforementioned 003R, which is what I've moved to) should do double duty just fine. Watch out for obstructions in the road (which you should be doing anyway) and you'll be ok.

I don't think its necessary to have to get full blown slicks and tire warmers for 2-3 trackdays.

Can someone suggest some good tires that can be used on the street?

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    so your saying , get what tire? and why?

Also what does this mean? "Some of them have omni-directional carcasses and can be flipped too, so you can get extra time out of the tire at, say, the Shannonville Nelson layout."
    For a variety of track tires the only difference from left to right is the direction of the tread sipes, with the slicks there is no difference at all. It means that you run the rear tires backwards with no problems.

I do this often. Since all tracks will have more turns one direction you tend to wear out one side of the rear far sooner than the other. If you flip the tire earlier you can extend the useful life of a rear tire.

I know of a few ppl who have flipped fronts but Dunlop fronts last so long that i don't need to.

Pilot Powers are a single compound tire. The Power Pure, the Corsa III and the BT003RS are multi compound tires that give improved grip on the edges. Elky has made his opinion know, as have i, and Shaman. No one is putting a gun to your head and not everyone will agree. However i tend to think traction is like condoms. It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. All these tires will work fine without tire warmers, you just need to give them a few warm up laps.

There's not much more we can write here that ins't just repeating what we've already written. It's up to you to make a decision now.

What do you guys think of a BT016 on the track? I love the tire as a street tire. It costs the same as a BT003 would cost. Thoughts anyone?

Street Tire /= DOT Race Tire /= Slick /= Rains, these are all very different animals.

Go for a DOT race tire for what it sounds like you are going to be doing.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)