Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist! - Page 16

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist!

Re: Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist!

Quote Originally Posted by fba218 View Post
    Hi All,

Just got a few general questions here hopefully someone can answer me since I am having my exam in few days...

1. When riding in community normally the lane will be wider, which can possibly fit two cars. Where should I am riding?? In the middle right tire track?

2. When I am asked to perform emergency stop, how far away from the curb should I stop my bike?? 1/2 a meter? Also, if there is a "no parking" sign along the road can I still do emergency stop? I am guessing is yes as long as there is no fire holes there. And should I leave the signal on after I put down my kick stand?

Thanks in advance.
    1. Yes in the right tire track
    2. Park as close as you can. no parking signs ignore. Definetly leave the signal on. I got off the bike as well thought there are differing opinions on that.
    My intstucter was a nice enough guy but when I asked him about blocking postion he said he ddin't have time to give lessons.
    I passed with only three negative marks. 25 is the failure point.
    Aurora was a long drvie but it was well worth it!
    2001 GSXR 750
    2001 Katana 600 sold
    1989 GS 500E sold

Quote Originally Posted by 80'sGuy View Post
    1. Yes in the right tire track
    2. Park as close as you can. no parking signs ignore. Definetly leave the signal on. I got off the bike as well thought there are differing opinions on that.
    My intstucter was a nice enough guy but when I asked him about blocking postion he said he ddin't have time to give lessons.
    I passed with only three negative marks. 25 is the failure point.
    Aurora was a long drvie but it was well worth it!
    Would you not always want to be in the left side tire track to ensure that you are in a dominant blocking position?
    I understood that the only time you want to be in the right side track is when driving over a hill, or a blind curve when you can not see what is ahead of you?

Thumbs up Re: Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist!

Passed this morning at Metro East with 2 marks off (forgot 4-ways at roadside stop)!
    Strangely enough the 2 examiners were from Downsview and told me that the easiest center for testing was Oshawa.

Good guys. Told me the route we were taking, all the lane changes they would do and what they were looking for safety wise prior to leaving the site.

Doing my test on Friday on our Vespa. Should be simple with the automatic tranny, but am concerned about the highway. The scooter does get blown around, and I tend to stay in the right lane.

Anyone see any differences between what has been reported here, and doing the exam on a scooter?

Re: Stopping

Quote Originally Posted by Car2Slo View Post
    You're talking about the emergency stop part of the test?

If so yes. I was told the most common mistake during this portion is people forgetting to put the stand down. The tester will ask you to make an emergency stop at any point (except highway I believe) of the test.

The process is as follows;

1. Check your surroundings.
    2. Check that it is safe/legal to pull over (ie. don't stop at a fire hydrant or no stopping zone)
    3. Signal and pull over safely.
    4. Park bike a safe distance to the curb (i.e. 2-3'). Parallel to curb but watch for slopes and act accordingly.h
    5. Put bike into neutral.
    6. Check with tester before if they want you to shut of bike (some say leave it running). Shut it off if wanted.
    7. Put down stand. Make sure bike is stable
    8. Check around you.
    9. Get off bike (step behind bike)
    10. Tester will ask you to continue.
    11. Check surroundings
    12. Get on bike, put up stand, start bike if off
    13. Shut off signal.
    14. Shoulder check
    15. Signal other way
    16. Shoulder check and merge back onto street.
    17. Don't forget to shut off signal (other error common to this portion).

That should be it, but it's been some time since I've done this.
    Quick question... should i use my 4-ways at any point during the emergency stop?

Regarding 4 - Ways. You put them on when your bike is pulled over.

Signal - Pull Over - 4 Ways

Or Just tell them your bike is not equipped with 4 Ways. 4Ways are not required.

I got my GM yesterday at aurora.

I did no residential, no emergency stop... but got dinged in that section...lol... maybe my final pull into the parking spot is my emergency stop...

oh well, as long as i pass! Thanks for the checklist and the routes.. There were some constructions going on so my route is a bit different then what was posted.

Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread, just passed the test at Downsview.

For those that care to know some of the routes, instructor took me to:

Sheppard to Allen, 410 West to Keele, north on Keele, west into a residential street, back onto Keele, East on sheppard and back into the Downsview testing center.

Thumbs up Re: Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist!

I passed! I got my GM in BRAMPTON on Friday (July 31st)

I want to add my thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread - the info was really helpful to this old lady.

A special thanks to the two ppl who posted maps of the BRAMPTON ROUTE (most recent was on p. 27 of this thread). My route was very similar:

1. Business portion: right on First Gulf Blvd, right on Kennedy, right on Steeles.
    2. Highway portion: east on Steeles, get on Hwy 410 north, exit at Clark Blvd and turn left, get on Hwy 410 south, exit at Steeles turning right
    3. Residential portion: north on Kennedy Rd, left on Rambler, *right* on Bartely Bull and then a winding route through some neighbourhoods (made emegency road-side stop in the residential portion); ending back at Orchard Dr, then left on Steeles.

Good luck to all who follow and keep this thread going!

Burlington during the week / Pickering most weekends

Passed in Burlington today. Thanks for the tips. The tester came off hard at first, but ended up being a nice guy.

He said it's not true that they have a quota or try to fail people.

Here is a map of which section of the highway they take you on. Coming back to the testing center is the same way you came from.

http://tinyurl.com/llwxpa

Best of luck!
    Forget world peace. Visualize using your turn signal.

Passed in Hamilton.

Got dinged a number of times for not checking my blind spot on my turns. Tester said I needed to move my head more. Jeeze - I thought I was!

Here's the route:

http://tinyurl.com/m8khuc

He asked if I had 4-way flashers (nope). He told me that we'd take the highway for 1 exit. He told me to do a lane change when it was safe to do so - both going, and returning.

We did the emergency stop in the residential area off Fruitland Rd - in a No Parking zone. Not a problem.

Headphone worked well. I had no problems hearing him. If I couldn't hear him, I was to point to my ear. Glad to know that they plan for that!

Best of luck to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by mjavor View Post
    Passed in Burlington today. Thanks for the tips. The tester came off hard at first, but ended up being a nice guy.

He said it's not true that they have a quota or try to fail people.

Here is a map of which section of the highway they take you on. Coming back to the testing center is the same way you came from.

http://tinyurl.com/llwxpa

Best of luck!
    Thanks for the map and congrats on the pass.

I am taking my test in Burlington next week, I have a cruiser with fairly loud pipes and usually wear a half helmet, will this be OK or should I wear a full face?

Cheers

Jthree

For emergency stop, what if the place they ask u to do it has signs saying no parking between 8am-4pm? and which side of bike do u get off? normally always on the left but for this should u get off right side so away from traffic?
    Last edited by apstndp; 08-08-2009 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by apstndp View Post
    For emergency stop, what if the place they ask u to do it has signs saying no parking between 8am-4pm? and which side of bike do u get off? normally always on the left but for this should u get off right side so away from traffic?
    you should always get off on the left, but do a quick shoulder check before doing so. If the road sign prohibits you to park during certain hours then you must obey it.
    Freedom of speech is wonderful - right up there with the freedom not to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    you should always get off on the left, but do a quick shoulder check before doing so. If the road sign prohibits you to park during certain hours then you must obey it.

but that means there no place to pull over for the next 3 blocks? kind of defeats the purpose of emergency stop?

Another big thanks for all the great advice posted in this thread. I just came back from my test in Brampton where I passed. To be honest, I thought I could have done things better but the instructor told me that I did "excellent" and that I must have "really prepared". Lol. The only preparation I did was reading this thread. I lost 4 marks.

My bike has really loud pipes but I was able to hear with my full face. I did use an ear plug in my other ear just to be safe. I would advise against a half helmet since the ear peice wraps over your ear and could fall out with the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    If the road sign prohibits you to park during certain hours then you must obey it.
    I don't know if I agree with that statement as well as the person who mentioned not stopping in front of a fire hydrant. This is an EMERGENCY road side stop. You are not parking the bike and going for lunch.

They just want to see you safely pull the bike over. They aren't trying to trick you into losing marks over where you stop.

Okay, let me post some more details here since others may benefit from it:

- The instructor gave his highway instructions before we started the test. Get on the highway, when it is safe to do so change lanes to the left, then change back and take the next exit off the Hwy (Hwy 410). Same thing on the way back. Make sure you understand this as he will not repeat this once you are on the highway (you probably couldn't hear anyways with the wind).
    - We did 2 roadside stops with both being on a residential street and within 30 seconds of each other. My hazards weren't working before the test so he just told me to shut off the bike and get off.
    - Just move your head ALOT. Do lots of mirror checks, left-right-left through intersections, AND shoulder checks whenever you are turning.
    - Lane position. As said numerous times before just keep in your blocking position and you will be fine.

Thanks JB and congrats on the pass. Good advice on the helmet as I would have gone with the half helmet otherwise.
    Just curious... What bike and what pipes do you have?

Cheers

Jthree

Quote Originally Posted by Jthree View Post
    Just curious... What bike and what pipes do you have?
    I've got a Night Rod Special with a CFR but I borrowed my friend's bike, which is the same bike, but with a Thunderheader.

What are you riding and how loud are we talking about?