Big trip on a 250 - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Big trip on a 250

Re: Big trip on a 250

Quote Originally Posted by Germax View Post
    Get sheepskin in IKEA. It is about 40$.
    You will be glad you did every day of the ride
    Get the gel seat pad from Crappy tire instead. Sheep skin wil not be comfy when it get wet.

Also remember to re-waterproof your gears, tent.

Give me time, money and I will go with a 250 to cali anytime.
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Quote Originally Posted by beemerrider View Post
    I am the old man....been riding for 30 years, was a m/c instr. for 7 years at humber college. Been all over the states and Canada....experience counts for something no? Long distance touring/riding is a lot of fun when you are on the proper bike. I just cannot see doing a big trip like that on a 250. Heck we used those bikes to train students, so yeah, it is a baby/beginner bike. It's all about comfort when doing distance riding and a 250, IMHO is just not comfortable. I have a BMW K1200LT with over 112,000 km's on it. The smallest bike I have ever had was a 750. Don't get me wrong, I am very proud and happy that my daughter rides, but I just cannot see her doing such a big trip on such a small bike. Safety also comes to mind when doing a big ride and I just do not think that a 250cc bike is big or safe enough to do such a trip.
    Rant off!
    In a way, I too am "the old man". Been riding 30+ years as well.
    Sure the big Beemer would be a much more comfortable ride but I still think the 250 is easily up to the task. There's alway somebody each year that completes the IronButt on a small displacement bike.

If the choice is to do it on the 250 or not at all - I'd be going for it.
    ride - if you want to

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Back in the day, people wouldn't even question if a 250 was big enough for touring. They'd just go out and do it.
    Wasn't Persig (Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance) and his late son a C77 or some other sub 250cc Honda?

Just realized Kawigirl is a little new to the hobby. The 250 is up to the task, I'm sure, but having only 4000kms of riding, ever, seams a little thin. That said how do you get experience w/o riding?
    ride - if you want to

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    Wasn't Persig (Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance) and his late son a C77 or some other sub 250cc Honda?

Just realized Kawigirl is a little new to the hobby. The 250 is up to the task, I'm sure, but having only 4000kms of riding, ever, seams a little thin. That said how do you get experience w/o riding?
    I think Persig use a Honda Dream, which has a 305 cc engine. I'd bet it had less than half the power of today's 250 cc bikes.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Quote Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
    I think Persig use a Honda Dream, which has a 305 cc engine. I'd bet it had less than half the power of today's 250 cc bikes.
    Yeah, and he 2-upped with his son.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Yeah, and he 2-upped with his son.
    And a crap load of luggage. I've seen pictures of their rig from that trip. From the book I remember him commenting how much more powerful this bike was compared to his original touring bike.

Last edited by RichinOville; 04-10-2010 at 06:24 AM.

That just looks like alot of fun

Quote Originally Posted by retrogrouch View Post
    so how did people tour cross-country before luxotourers were invented? Sure a big, powerful bike that's purpose built for the long haul is going to be more comfortable but a 250 is plenty adequate, especially if the rider is somewhat light herself. I can't see myself ever touring on a goldwing or glide – to me, they're not bikes, they are 2-wheeled cars.

+100
    Knowledge Without Mileage is Useless

*worry about your own spelling not mine.