Big trip on a 250 - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Big trip on a 250

Re: Big trip on a 250

Quote Originally Posted by Kawigirl997 View Post
    So I was wondering what all of your thoughts are on taking a Ninja 250 on a big bike trip. Do you think it can handle it or should the trip be put off until I get a bigger bike. The trip is about 28 days riding down to California and back to Hamilton, thoughts?
    I would suggest you go for it! Bikes with less capabilities have gone around the world. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to go across North America.

When are you thinking of going and what route are you taking? I'd suggest avoiding superslabbing as much as possible. Are you camping or hotelling?

Packing light and smart will be the key either way. I would strongly suggest you look at http://www.onebag.com/ to get some ideas about packing light. That site isn't about motorcycling at all but the tips are very useful.

I'd also look hard into Tilley travel clothes. It will help you pack light and be very comfy.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Quote Originally Posted by beemerrider View Post
    Safety also comes to mind when doing a big ride and I just do not think that a 250cc bike is big or safe enough to do such a trip.
    Rant off!
    Not safe enough? I respect your experience but I take issue with this. The bike has fairly modern suspension and brakes. If you're saying it's not fast enough to be safe that's just plain flawed logic, it's faster than my Civic lol.
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B2
    2001 Kawasaki EX250-H (SOLD)

This bike is quite safe I find, On my old 250 I did, 18+ hours worth of touring in a day, its solid, as comfertable as any other sport style bike, and as mentioned before, modern brakes and shocks.
    The wind is not bad, in a year their was one day where I felt the wind was catching me to the point where my riding was affected and it was a massive wind storm catching me on the side in the twistys, and most bikes would have been caught out.

I say do it, but as I said before, know your bike is not avail in the states so parts will be hard to come by!
    Yes I have bad Spelling, Yes I have bad grammar, and no, I don’t care if it bugs you.

88 Suzuki Kantana-Crashed@ 69K
    01- Kawi zzr250 18K-sold
    87/02 Honda hurricane/600rr hybrid. 76K still going.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    One of the best threads I have ever read was by a group of 4 hi school grads. Their last hurrah before college. Each bought a bike costing $600 or less. They went from CT to LA and back. Took over a month if I recall. they camped, stayed at friend's palces. They shhopped at grocery stores and cooked over open fires. Ran into tornadoes in the prairies, bike problems all along the way cold and hot nights and days. It is the stuff great memories are made of. These 4 guys had more adventure than a hundred guys on $25,000 BMW GS's with the best suits and GPS's and luggage systems in the world.
    Go have an adventure-you'll never regret it!
    I have that thread bookmarked lol, great write up and well worth the time to read.

Title says it all: "Cross Country on a $50 bike: NY-SF and back"

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...+united+states
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B2

Quote Originally Posted by beemerrider View Post
    I have a BMW K1200LT with over 112,000 km's on it. The smallest bike I have ever had was a 750. Don't get me wrong, I am very proud and happy that my daughter rides, but I just cannot see her doing such a big trip on such a small bike.
    So how did people tour cross-country before luxotourers were invented? Sure a big, powerful bike that's purpose built for the long haul is going to be more comfortable but a 250 is plenty adequate, especially if the rider is somewhat light herself. I can't see myself ever touring on a Goldwing or Glide – to me, they're not bikes, they are 2-wheeled cars.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Get sheepskin in IKEA. It is about 40$.
    You will be glad you did every day of the ride

I think you should be fine.

I'm planning a large trip on my CBR125
    And I'm going for it.
    '08 Hurricane White CBR125R - SOLD
    '11 Metallic Black CBR 250RA

Quote Originally Posted by calvin_chan View Post
    I'm planning a large trip on my CBR125
    And I'm going for it.
    That's the spirit!
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Ijust read a thread about a pair of 16 yr old boys who rode around Lake Superior on 50 cc and 70cc bikes. In a week. Camped under a tarp, sleeping bags right on the ground. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, washed clothes in gas station restrooms.

A Ninja 250 is plenty large enough to ride anywhere on this planet that is paved. It can maintain a safe speed with traffic anywhere, is over 325 lbs so it is heavy enough not to be tossed around by weather, but plenty light enough for this particular rider to manage should she need to push it or pick it up etc. It also has a benefit of very good fuel economy, and a reliable platform. It is powerful enough to move rider and luggage along smartly in city traffic or to maintain highway speed laden. It is designed as a bike capable of 2 up riding, so almost any weight in luggage will be easy for the bike to pull. In hi school I had a buddy with a 91 Ninja 250, and he was 6'2" and 280 lbs. He and his girlfriend rode it al over God's green earth 2 up. And he often chased my CBR600 around at 180 indicated kmh....ANd it never hiccupped.

Back when I had that 89 CBR600, ( I was 17 at the time)I rode it almost 90,000 kms in 3 yrs. All yr round. I rode in weather that most riders never encounter even once, like blizzards etc, and I didn't accidentally happen upon it , I ventured out into it every single day, regardless of the current conditions. Ridden well, A modern sportbike is as capable of going anywhere anytime as anything else, if less comfortably. Comfort is the only real sacrifice the little Ninja will make you give up. And not much really since the baby Ninja has such an upright riding position, it seats the rider more like a standard naked bike than a sportbike. Touring windscreens are 4-5" taller than stock. Snowmobile heated grips are less than $40. There are some awesome soft luggage systems out there too (Giant Loop Great Basin for example). Add a Wolfman waterproof duffel and you'll have waterproof stroage space that will rival that big BMW of Daddy's. And the Great Basin has been crash tested etc, and will probably survive better than the bike in a fall. In fact, I think an 800 lb bike would be a hindrance when touring, rather than a help. I can't imagine having to cope with all that weight and size all the time. Every gas station, every parking lot, every gravel road. Out on the Interstate is the only time it's size would be a help. Oh and it's weather protection would be welcome in the rain. But a good rain gear can do miracles.

Am I correct in my thinking this is less about the bike of choice for a journey, and more about Daddy's little girl going off into the wild unshielded........................................ ?
    Last edited by omnivore; 04-07-2010 at 10:08 AM.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

This is a great thread.

My two cents. The bike being too small depends a lot on the people you ask. I went on a trip to Washington DC last year on my EX500 and when newer/younger riders heard it they said:

"Man, that's dangerous to take a trip on the highway with such a small bike"

I think the EX is the perfect size myself and was no worse than any other bike (save the goldwing) taking the same trip.

Older guys seem to be of a different opinion. Their response is:

"Oh man, I remember riding to Vancouver on a 250 back in the seventies. Best time ever!"

I think we tend to get spoiled by the power of bikes now days and forget that 20hp was plenty for a cross country trip 30 years ago. A Ninja 250 is exponentially better than anything 30 years ago so my opinion is take it and ride the wheels off it. Just because you can use a 700 pound, 150 hp behemoth to ride cross country doesn't mean you NEED it.

I would suggest you try a long weekend trip first. That way, you can make adjustments to the bike that will enhance the experience.

Oomis - "It's a brilliant character bike. It won't be the fastest bike on the street, nor the lightest, nor the best handling, but with pipes it'll sound like God's coming to dinner and he doesn't like what's on the table."

Hmmm, back in the day my dad toured around Europe with my mom on the back on a Honda CB 175cc bike (or something of that nature) So I'm sure a trip on a modern 250 could be done.

Heck, I took my 250 on a weeklong trip in the states and it was just fine.

Sounds like an awesome adventure and I say go for it!
    Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do. - David Brent

Any thoughts on how high the rpm is while cruising at highway speeds for a long period of time?

my 2 cents, in the past people rode bikes of similar cc's and smaller all over creation and had great adventures. those bikes were nowhere near as reliable and bulletproof as the current crop of small bikes. i would think that if the bike is safe enough to ride around locally where you would ride everything from the 401 to city streets and everything in between then why would it not be safe on a trip across the continent? the fuel mileage on those small bikes is supposed to be excellent, they are more comfortable than the 600's, the rider loves her bike trusts it and is comfortable. sounds like a winning combo to me!
    i am a big bike guy i ride a valkyrie interstate, i love the bike and i would not hesitate to cross the country. i dont see why the tires or the chain and sprockets would be an issue if they are in good to excellent condition at the start of the trip. pack light and smart and go have the time of your life!
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

Dinh250R, the bike has a 6th gear doesn't it? If you're just cruising along (not rushing) put 'er in 6th and let her roll. If you wanna haul *** you'll probably want to stay in 5th (?).

While we're mentioning crazy trips on less than "touring" machines:
    http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/hall...age.asp?id=285
    The Van Buren sisters, travelled on Indians, from New York to San Francisco... in 1916! Back when roads weren't paved, suspension was crap, women weren't supposed to be doing that kind of thing (or even had the right to vote).

My body hurts just thinking about it, but you gotta figure if a couple chicks could do it back then, on a bike with 1916 technology, there's no reason why kawigirl shouldn't be able to today. Hope that motivates ya =)

My bike is at 9500 rpms at 120 indicated. Everyone thinks that's screaming, but it's all relative, redline is 14 000

She'll do that all day no problem, some report a little oil usage at high speed (blows into the air box via the crankcase breather), but I've never had a problem.

I've cruised at 130 and approx. 10 000rpm from here to Windsor straight before (no stops once). The upright position is mighty comfy, only my knees get me a bit cuz I'm 6'1"
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B2

i hear what dad is saying as i feel the same way, our experience tells us this is not a good idea. we have to remember technology improves in the motorcycling world by leaps and bounds every year and it takes our road worn experience and it laughs in the face of it. the fact is it is all very possible on a bike of that size. the crosswind issue is an issue with all bikes regardless of weight and size. if you have done your job you have imparted all the wisdom you can now you have to let her do her thing and find out on her own! sorry dad time to back off. mean that in the nicest way.
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

For my 2cents.
    I'd say try some local mid-range trips so you have a better idea of what to expect on long days riding.
    Give your self some extra time in case you want to change up your pace once you get going.
    Pick up an Icon MilSpec Vest or something similar for extra visibility because there will be days when you will need to travel at dusk, or in rain or fog.
    I'm not sure of the service interval for your bike, but it couldn't hurt to get it serviced just before you go so that you might be able to avoid taking it into a shop on route.

As for the size of the bike, I bet at your size on a 250 you will be fine. I had to look up the specs of the ZZR250. Something like 42hp and 22lbs of torque. You'll be laughing. My bike, a Ural, only has 38hp and 38lbs of torque, but weighs 800lbs empty. Oh ya, and only 4 forward gears. With no wind and no hills it will do short bursts up to 120kmph, but is only comfortable doing long distances at 90 to 100kmph. I did a very fun 5,000km, 12 day trip to the east coast last summer without many problems. Although, I could have done without the severe headwind for the last 4 days on the way home.

If I had the time, I would do the trip you are planning, even on my underpowered, overweight bike.

Quote Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
    I would suggest you go for it! Bikes with less capabilities have gone around the world. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to go across North America.

When are you thinking of going and what route are you taking? I'd suggest avoiding superslabbing as much as possible. Are you camping or hotelling?

Packing light and smart will be the key either way. I would strongly suggest you look at http://www.onebag.com/ to get some ideas about packing light. That site isn't about motorcycling at all but the tips are very useful.

I'd also look hard into Tilley travel clothes. It will help you pack light and be very comfy.

..Tom
    I'm with V-Tom on this. Stay on the highways and off the Interstate. The riding is more interesting scenery wise and it's a lot calmer on the nerves. You might want to also invest in a Throttle Rocker, just to give your right hand a rest from time to time. I left on a trip to Reno and ended up picking one up in West Yellowstone because I was getting numbness in my right hand from gripping the throttle for hours and hours.

I'm itching to do a big trip myself right now but this probably won't be the year for it.
    Steve Abbott

I agree with most here that taking a day trip somewhere on your bike would be the best "Practice Run." Maybe up to Tobermory and Algonquin then back?

Hell....if you are going after I take my trip you can tag along to get a feel for long journeys. http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=109150

I took a trip to the Cabot Trail and back last summer and I was very nervous taking my VF500. It's an old bike and isn't know for it's reliability. Long hauls at high rpms on the trans canada.

But it turned out to be a great trip! An amazing adventure, with beautiful landscapes.
    I brought chain lube and Oil with me and just made sure to lube the chain before checking in to the motel at night. Check my oil every day. No problems.

Going to California would make a great trip! I respect you for taking the first step and planning/researching.

Is a 250 a small bike? Yes.
    Is it too small to make the journey. No.

I say go for it
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

beemerrider

Am I correct in my thinking this is less about the bike of choice for a journey, and more about Daddy's little girl going off into the wild unshielded........................................ ?[/QUOTE]

A little of both. She just got her license last summer, in the middle of summer. She just does not have the experience yet for such a big trip. There is so much thst she has to learn. I did not go on a big trip until i had 3 years riding under my belt. I agree with you all that short weekend trips are in order, but I don't mean to Niagara Falls. Go to Sault Ste Marie or chapleau, somewhere where it will take 8-10 hrs to get there. I am sorry guys, but I still think a 250 is too small a bike for such a big trip. Someone said to bring tires because they might not be available in the states. Where the heck would you put them? Pack light..definitely!!! Kawigirl, why don't we go for a weekend trip and see how you fare?
    The Old Man(with experience)
    Last edited by beemerrider; 04-07-2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: spelling