SV1000 vs SV650 ... seems like a natural upgrade at only pennys for cost...

Thread: SV1000 vs SV650 ... seems like a natural upgrade at only pennys for cost...

SV1000 vs SV650 ... seems like a natural upgrade at only pennys for cost...

So I was quoting insurance rates thru the TD MM site this afternoon looking at dif bikes on trader since I'm down to 2 bikes, I haven't decided if I want to go back up to 3 bikes or not ... I looked at an SV650 as an around town and track tool and thought hey lets check the SV1000 at the same time ... its peanuts to upgrade to the litre bike ... just thought I'd share in case someone is on a 650 thinking of going to a 600 SS the SV1K should have similar power but alot more torque ... so bang for the buck should be same or better... ? The difference is only $15 bucks !!! and its not like I played around with the types of coverage, I left full coverage incl. collision on both as well as the same deductibles...

Screen shots:
    '03 SV650

'05 SV1000

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

Re: SV1000 vs SV650 ... seems like a natural upgrade at only pennys for cost...

Quote Originally Posted by chiller View Post
    So I was quoting insurance rates thru the TD MM site this afternoon looking at dif bikes on trader since I'm down to 2 bikes, I haven't decided if I want to go back up to 3 bikes or not ... I looked at an SV650 as an around town and track tool and thought hey lets check the SV1000 at the same time ... its peanuts to upgrade to the litre bike ... just thought I'd share in case someone is on a 650 thinking of going to a 600 SS the SV1K should have similar power but alot more torque ... so bang for the buck should be same or better... ? The difference is only $15 bucks !!! and its not like I played around with the types of coverage, I left full coverage incl. collision on both as well as the same deductibles...
    I can't see the screenshots, but is it $15/yr or $15/mo difference?
    Last edited by VifferFun; 04-06-2010 at 08:26 AM.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    I can't see the screenshots, but is it $15/yr or $15/mo difference?
    /year, surprisingly...

Proud owner of a 2001 Kawi 250 (low side count: 3)
    UWaterloo '13-14 - Fin. Analysis, Com. Sci. (SE) Double
    (don't hate on the sig...ye have been warned...)

I have both bikes and mine difference is about $10.00 more yearly for the SV1ks.
    ~~I rather be riding my bike & thinkin of GOD than sitting in Gurdwara thinkin of my bike!!

03 SV1000s
    02 SV650s
    02 SV650s project - LF: any parts. PM pls. Thnx!
    Sold 2001 Ninja 500r

Quote Originally Posted by RLapin View Post
    /year, surprisingly...
    yes... VERY surprising when I looked them up I figured ... ok an SS will probably be double and since the SV1k isn't an SS it'd be maybe 50% more ... I didn't figure $15 / year more ...

Quote Originally Posted by gAbRoO View Post
    I have both bikes and mine difference is about $10.00 more yearly for the SV1ks.
    yeah wow ... i wonder why the difference is so small ? seems like a really good 'bang for buck' upgrade if you ride the 650 (in terms of insurance dollars)...

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

Quote Originally Posted by RLapin View Post
    /year, surprisingly...
    Strange indeed. I checked the CLEAR Vehicle rate groups (AB-CL-CM) and the two bikes are similar, but the SV650 should be cheaper based on this:

2005 SV1000: 04-27-24
    2003 SV650: 03-23-19

(For explanation of CLEAR, you can do a search).

I don't know if TD is using CLEAR rate groups for pricing motorcycle insurance, or if they use other relative cost measures such as MSRP and displacement.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Hey now... you need to shout louder!! resale on the sv1k sucks! and my rate this year on the sv1ks with full coverage is even lower than you posted!

Mebbe I'm a bit older... but after only 2 yrs insured (now at age 43) my quote from TD was $755 on a 2007 SV1K down from nearly $1400 last yr with SF full coverage 500 deductibles iirc.

Should add... at the time I bought the bike new, I was shopping for insurance and checking my options... for a guy with basically no insurance history on a bike (last rode a bike 20 yrs ago) it was costing me double to insure a new 600ss vs the SV1KS.

If ppl only knew how good a deal the sv1ks is... well hell then insurance wouldn't be affordable... nvm.. nothing to see here!
    Last edited by Skurj; 04-15-2010 at 08:23 PM.

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

But its not a supersport... really...

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

That looks awesome. I am hoping to get a 650 or 1000 soon.