My experience so far claiming with Jevco - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My experience so far claiming with Jevco

Re: My experience so far claiming with Jevco

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post
    No. Many brokers are available throughout long weekends for emergency's via email and cell phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by 31Smokinjoe View Post
    I have dealt with different insurance companies in the past and have found the best thing to do if possible is to go through the broker. You are just a number to the companies but you are a customer to the broker.
    hmm, sounds like the customer may have more leverage here then if the insurance company's same but it's brokers that vary in service. Thanks Avi

Sorry about the lag in reply, had a long and exhausting day. I contacted my broker yesterday, he started the ball rolling as well. this morning the insurance adjuster called me, we will be meeting tomorrow. Updates may be slow from this point until things are finalized. I am also on the search for bikes that are similar to mine in similar condition to what mine was before the accident.

Most of my experience prior with insurance has been with companies that don't use brokers like RBC or crown run insurance (ie icbc and sgi) that use brokers but you deal directly with the company for any claims. I can tell you dealing with SGI was way better than dealing with RBC.
    Last edited by CruisnGrrl; 04-06-2010 at 10:48 PM.
    x

jevco here

Spoke to the adjuster yesterday, he took my statement and said he would have the appraiser call me and to look for some prices on bikes, jackets and helmets.

What was disappointing is that my phone/gps and my camera will not be covered. I was informed to claim through my house insurance. My deductible on the house insurance is more than the cost of the two combined. Makes me mad because we pay outrageous rates for insurance (more than most provinces) and our coverages are worse and it's all government mandated.

I missed a day and a 1/2 of work so far because of this accident and I could actually use a little more time off but your accident benefits do not cover your lost wages for the first 5 days. I would not be surprised if they had to be 5 consecutive days too (yay for moving goal posts).

Also if I do claim for damages to my health the first 30 or 35 THOUSAND is not payable by the insurance company. Now soft tissue generally heals but not the same way as before. anyone that has had a sports injury will be able to tell you this.

Mileage to my doctor, the 10% of drugs that my company plan does not pay for and the stuff like chiropractor that my company doesn't cover gets "topped up". The taxi ride home from the hospital should be covered.

Here's a pic of my camera.

Yeah that's not a special effect, the camera is bent. It still takes pics but the display glass is broken. Thats a SD1000 series camera, I'd buy another if insurance covered it.

My phone is doing odd things, almost like a sensor is broken inside, it's behaving like I'm opening it or pulling out the stylus.
    I would have less issues with claiming my camera and phone on my home policy if they covered the deductible and rate increase on my home policy. I will have to look in my policy to see where personal effects like that are exempted.
    x

You may wish to advise your adjuster that regarding Direct Compensation Property Damage, section 6.2 of the Ontario Automobile Policy states:

We will pay the cost of damage to the automobile, its equipment, contents and for loss of use of the automobile or contents arising from an accident for which another person would have been legally responsible

Avi
    Twitter @Avi_Singh_
    www.avisingh.com

Thanks Avi!

I think the part that bugs me most about them trying to deny the claim is it's not like i'm trying to claim something that wasn't in the crash with me. I have an old iBook G3 I bought in a lot of computer parts and it looks like it's been in a car accident, I could get away with claiming it but I'm not.
    Last edited by CruisnGrrl; 04-08-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    x

I try to stay away from these smaller Insurance Co's for the exact reason the OP is describing in here. I'd rather pay a little more in my insurance and get a reputable company than these half A** companies like Jevco.

Insurance is just like anything else you buy. You get what you pay for.

Hopefully your broker is half decent and will help out..

Good luck.
    Last edited by 250R-ICE; 04-08-2010 at 01:38 PM.

Banned

call a lawyer.

i've been fighting with kingsway for 5 1/2 years now (accident claim), and with the merge with jevco they tried to claim that this was needingto delay my claim for a few months. what BS.

Quote Originally Posted by rukus View Post
    call a lawyer.

i've been fighting with kingsway for 5 1/2 years now (accident claim), and with the merge with jevco they tried to claim that this was needingto delay my claim for a few months. what BS.
    I don't think that's necessary in this case. The OP isn't injured. The wording of the policy is pretty clear, the OP just needs to call it to the adjusters attention that they have read the policy. Having a broker make a couple calls on your behalf would likely be helpful as well.

Follow what Avi advises first.

Check out the Ontario Automobile Policy (OAP1), 6.1, pp37 that Avi has referenced. It is very clear. Contents are covered. This is by Ontario law.

If you are still unsatisfied then there is recourse with the FSCO, where you can file a complaint under the watchful eye of the Financial Services Ombudsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post
    I don't think that's necessary in this case. The OP isn't injured. The wording of the policy is pretty clear, the OP just needs to call it to the adjusters attention that they have read the policy. Having a broker make a couple calls on your behalf would likely be helpful as well.
    Well I do have soft tissue injuries but they aren't substantial enough to warrant monetary compensation above $30,000 they do warrant physiotherapy which I will be taking advantage of.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    Well I do have soft tissue injuries but they aren't substantial enough to warrant monetary compensation above $30,000 they do warrant physiotherapy which I will be taking advantage of.
    If you haven't already, I'd suggest reading your policy carefully to know exactly what you are and are not covered for. If you do not have a copy of the Ontario Automobile Policy feel free to email me and I'll send you a copy.

Avi
    Twitter @Avi_Singh_
    www.avisingh.com

It's funny, the insurance company for the guy that hit me seems to have more concern for me than my own insurance company. They contacted me today by letter after failing to make contact by phone (dunno what number they called) to make sure I was doing ok, the person even put her home # on it.
    x

which company was that? switch to them after.

Damn looks like Jevco is a fail as an insurance company... poor customer service probably due to not having in house adjusters... its good to see one of the insurance companys is looking after you
    2006 Suzuki GS500f Sold
    2008 Kawasaki ZZR600

Sounds about right. No hold up's getting you signed up and taking your money, however when it comes time to claim it's all on YOU to harass them and make sure they do it right. Reminds me of the kinda friend you lend money too, then gives you a hard time when you ask when he's going to pay you back.

" Run as fast as you can, then jump and slide on the pavement. Now think of traveling at 80 MPH and doing the same. Don't be a squid, wear proper gear. "

If you need any other assistance regarding your recovery and therapy, I'd recommend Dr. Ian Eix at Highside Healthcare.

He knows Motorcycle specific injuries, and even does on site care at the track.

here's his details.
    Dr. Ian Eix
    416-577-4349
    dricedc@sympatico.ca

My experience with Jevco & the assigned adjusters (Pinnacle) is the exact opposite of Crusingirl. Even when I found more damage over the winter it was painless dealing with the adjuster/insurance getting it fixed.

I hope it turns around for you & all works out.
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

Saw the appraiser today. the engine work and custom paint job apparently don't count. The engine work is considered maintenance and because I didn't get flames or naked ladies painted on my tank it's maintenance as well.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by Kawi-Rex View Post
    Damn looks like Jevco is a fail as an insurance company... poor customer service probably due to not having in house adjusters...
    Unfortunately the only insurer that sells policies for old bikes.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40