Legality of integrated turn signals?

Thread: Legality of integrated turn signals?

Legality of integrated turn signals?

I was wondering if integrated turn signals are legal here in Ontario.

I went through the HTA looking for something regarding a minimum distance between each signal, but I couldn't find anything.

Anyone have any knowledge, or stronger Google-fu than mine?

Re: Legality of integrated turn signals?

62. (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).

Lamps required on motorcycles

(2) Subject to subsection (3), when on a highway at any time every motorcycle shall carry two lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on the front of the vehicle which shall display a white light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c.
    H.8, s. 62 (2).

Idem

(3) When on a highway at any time every motorcycle with a side car shall carry a lighted lamp in a conspicuous position on each side of the front of the vehicle which lamps shall display a white or amber light only and a lighted lamp on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (3).

Light requirement

(4) Any lamp required under subsection (1), (2) or (3) shall, when lighted, be clearly visible at a distance of at least 150 metres from the front or rear, as the case may be. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (4).

Exception

(5) Despite subsections (2) and (3), where a motorcycle that was manufactured prior to the 1st day of January, 1970 is operated on a highway, the lighted lamps required under subsections (2) and (3) shall be required only during the period from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise, or at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (5).

Strength of lamps

(6) Lamps on the front of a motor vehicle shall be so constructed, located, arranged and adjusted that when lighted as required by subsections (1), (2) and (3) they produce under normal atmospheric conditions and on a level road a driving light sufficient to render clearly discernible to the operator of the motor vehicle any person or vehicle on the highway within a distance of 110 metres ahead of the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (6).

Attachment that affects lamps prohibited

(7) No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (1), (2) and (3),

(a) are coated or covered with a coloured material; or
    (b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).
    Exception
    (7.1) Clause (7) (a) does not apply if the lamps are of the prescribed type or meet the prescribed standards. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).

Distance between lamps, etc., is part of the Federal requirements.

There are bikes that come with integrated turn signals, from the factory, like my VFR. Many have them as a result of the addition of a fender eliminator kit, which can get you nailed for not having a "mud guard" under the HTA.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

As long as the signals meet the spec below:

Turn Signal Lamps for Motorcycles:

At or near the front - 1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline at the same height, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline of lamps) of 400 mm (16 inches). Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and headlamp is 100 mm (4 inches).

At or near the rear - 1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 230 mm (9 inches). Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and tail or stop lamp is 100 mm (4 inches), when a single stop and tail lamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn signal lamps are red.
    Transport Canada Regulations - Have fun with this one See "TABLE IV: LOCATION OF REQUIRED EQUIPMENT" at the bottom of the document.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post

Distance between lamps, etc., is part of the Federal requirements.

There are bikes that come with integrated turn signals, from the factory, like my VFR. Many have them as a result of the addition of a fender eliminator kit, which can get you nailed for not having a "mud guard" under the HTA.
    they need to be a certain distance from the centre of the taillights.

BTW... The VFR are not integrated.

This is integrated.

Quote Originally Posted by aircav View Post
    As long as the signals meet the spec below:

Transport Canada Regulations - Have fun with this one See "TABLE IV: LOCATION OF REQUIRED EQUIPMENT" at the bottom of the document.
    What He Said
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

I guess I'm illegal seeing as how I modified my rear turn signals to Japanese style ?....I met one of the requirements..but am too close together, I think...

On the rear - 1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height, and as far apart as practicable.

All Passenger Cars and Motorcycles, and Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Trailers,and Buses of Less Than 2.05 m (80 inches) Overall Width

Turn signal lamps

At or near the front - 1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height, and as far apart as practicable.

On the rear - 1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height, and as far apart as practicable.

At or near the front - 1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline at the same height, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline of lamps) of 400 mm (16 inches). Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and headlamp is 100 mm (4 inches).

At or near the rear - 1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 230 mm (9 inches). Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and tail or stop lamp is 100 mm (4 inches), when a single stop and tail lamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn signal lamps are red.

Not less than 380 mm (15 inches), nor more than 2 110 mm (83 inches).
    Last edited by gamma1; 04-02-2010 at 09:32 AM.

I believe the North American version of that bike came with separate stalk mounted signals in order to achieve the required separation distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    I believe the North American version of that bike came with separate stalk mounted signals in order to achieve the required separation distance.
    You, sir are correct. Now that I have modified the rear lights, I wonder if anyone will really know the law as it applies to my bike...I think most would just think that it came that way?????

Looks stock to me, and Im sure only a handful of cops, if any could tell that your lights arent stock.

but I wonder how many cops hand out tickets for not having enough space between the turning lights...

I bought the clear alternatives which will eliminate the need for indicators, but I'm serious if I will get a ticket for it
    oo
    <a href=http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24363&dateline=1252035708 target=_blank>http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ine=1252035708</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gamma1 View Post
    All Passenger Cars and Motorcycles, and Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Trailers,and Buses of Less Than 2.05 m (80 inches) Overall Width

Quite a number of STOCK automotive headlamp assemblies with turn signals built into the same housing do not satisfy the requirement for the edge to edge separation between turn signal lamp and headlamp - notably, VW Golf/Jetta Mk4, although I've seen others.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Quite a number of STOCK automotive headlamp assemblies with turn signals built into the same housing do not satisfy the requirement for the edge to edge separation between turn signal lamp and headlamp - notably, VW Golf/Jetta Mk4, although I've seen others.
    You left out this part: "and tail lamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn signal lamps are red. " If the turn signals are yellow then the separation doesn't need to be there.

I was referring to the HEADLAMP assemblies, not the taillamps!

Whoops my bad. But in any case the separation parameters don't apply to cars just motorcycles.

All it says for cars is:
    At or near the front - 1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height, and as far apart as practicable.
    The reason I'm mentioning this is that I'm pretty sure all cars and bikes, as sold, meet the requirements.

so white rear signals would be bad then huh?

Quote Originally Posted by BristolMike View Post
    so white rear signals would be bad then huh?
    anyone?

The colour of the signal lens itself doesn't matter (quite a few of them are clear or smoked) but the colour of the light emitted must be amber or red, and red is permissible on the rear only.

In fact the signal lenses on my bike are clear, from the factory, but the BULBS are amber.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde