M1 at night question?

Thread: M1 at night question?

M1 at night question?

ok if you get caught at night driving with just your M1 does anyone know what the fine/out come will be?

Thanks
    Brandon
    2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Black

Re: M1 at night question?

Quote Originally Posted by doddy View Post
    ok if you get caught at night driving with just your M1 does anyone know what the fine/out come will be?

Thanks
    Brandon
    I think at most your license will be suspended for a period of time. I think that type of infraction is a major with insurance companies as well.

Quote Originally Posted by doddy View Post

Thanks
    Brandon
    Its illegal. Not sure what the fine is or licence suspension would be if any. Tho, I got a speeding ticket last year and the cop asked me why I wasnt riding with a fully licenced rider on my M1. He had no idea what the regulations where for motorcycle licences. I was kind enough to tell him. And he was kind enough to knock my ticket down to the bare minimum.

Honestly, I ride at night all the time, and on the highway with my M1 right now. Now, once it gets dark and when I am on the highway I behave myself so not to draw attention. But that is a risk I assume on my own.

I think the M1 restrictions are a joke to be honest. I know someone will jump on me for it, and thats fine. But lets face it, the system is flawed. Someone can write their M1, take their exit course at a college or wherever, wait their 60 days, get their M2 and then go buy a bike. They have 0 miles experince on the bike and are able to ride at night, ride on the highways and carry passengers. Seems silly to me, but it is the way it is.

If you ride at night, be smart, dont give them a reason to target you. But avoid the hassel and get your M2 as soon as you can.

9. (1) The Registrar shall, after giving notice, suspend the driver’s licence of a person who is convicted of violating any of the conditions specified in section 5, 6, 7 or 8. O. Reg. 340/94, s. 9 (1).
    (2) The Registrar shall state the effective date of the licence suspension in the notice. O. Reg. 340/94, s. 9 (2).
    (3) The period of licence suspension is concurrent with the unexpired portion of any other licence suspension under this or any other authority. O. Reg. 340/94, s. 9 (3).
    (4) A licence suspended under subsection (1) shall not be reinstated until 30 days have elapsed from the date the licence is surrendered on account of the suspension or two years have elapsed from the date the licence is suspended, whichever occurs first. O. Reg. 340/94, s. 9 (4).
    (5) Revoked: O. Reg. 125/01, s. 1.

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/laws/regu/o-reg-340-94/latest/o-reg-340-94.html
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

i believe its 30 days without your license and you get put into a high risk category for insurance companies. Expect insurance rates to triple !! I know someone that got caught and his insurance basically dropped him as a customer !

If you get suspended is it the M-1 part or the whole enchilada? I thought the latter.

you get a fine, license suspension, vehicle seizure, and they will probably take you into their division and write you up.

from what I understand, If you have a G class (g1, g2, g) that you m1 is attached to it gets suspended too..

You only have 1 license with multiple classes on it. If they suspend the license, that includes all classes. No being in control of a motor vehicle on the roads until you pay the 150 and get your license back.

i rode at night, mainly cause the roads are empty, why would i want to be unexperienced and risk my life and other drivers lives, the logic makes no sense
    ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(◣_◢)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿

Quote Originally Posted by Lfsabch View Post
    i rode at night, mainly cause the roads are empty, why would i want to be unexperienced and risk my life and other drivers lives, the logic makes no sense
    agreed, i feel more comfortable riding at night thats why i got my m2, so it would not be a risk anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Lfsabch View Post
    Agree as well... usually the only time I have to practice is around 3:30-5:30 pm... So I either have to deal with soccer moms or people in a rush to get home... both a lot more dangerous than riding at night.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Night isn't really the best time to ride.

Best to get up before dawn, and ride at the earliest that you are allowed.

"Time of Day
    According to the IIHS, an average 6.6 people are killed between the hours of
    5 p.m. and 6 p.m., and another 6.6 between the hours of 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. Those
    rates are the overall highest of any time during the day. In 2007, 14,055 people
    were killed in the 5 p.m. hour. But the hours between midnight and 4 a.m. have
    the highest number of fatalities when calculated as a percentage of the amount
    of people on the road, according to AAA. During that time, statistically
    speaking, 5.87 per 100 million people on the road will be killed."

http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/21/car...hisspeed=25000
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

what's so hard about waiting 60 days or at least write the M1 test during the winter.

The hard part for me was going home and parking the bike when I'd only been out for an hour and it starts getting dark. LOL It was all so new and fun and I lived on the bike. 10,000 km in 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho44 View Post
    what's so hard about waiting 60 days or at least write the M1 test during the winter.

Wow I know this thread start out so long ago but, it's crazy to risk riding at night with your M1. It's so easy to get pulled over and the cost is just too high. Lose your license, insurance rates that are already difficult to manage will explode. Just because you think it's stupid, doesn't mean you should dismiss the requirements.

As for riding at night. I understand the logic of less traffic but, visibility is your enemy. We have cages that turn left in front of us in day light. There maybe less traffic but, there is traffic. That traffic doesn't see us under the best of conditions. Darkness only enhances the risk.

Be careful out there.

I did get caught out after dark a few times back when I had my M1. I personally don't understand how anyone would feel that riding at night is safer.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

I live in north Mississauga, the last exit before Milton. At night there are barely any traffic in my area and I don't think it would be more dangerous than riding at 3:30, when all the stay home moms are on the road to pick up their kids... but again, I only say that because I live in a really quiet residential area.

And it's not so much of not being able to wait... but for someone who just bought their first bike, I'm always itching to go out. But by the time I get home from work its already dark.

Quote Originally Posted by victorbrca View Post
    But by the time I get home from work its already dark.
    And colder, so you get black ice. And darker, with no contrast, so you can't see things like diesel fuel that's spilt on ramps. And against the law, so you might just end up with a suspended license, with all that entails. Weekends are a better idea.

Still wondering why this warranted thread necromancy though.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Just an explanation, I was only inquiring about the consequences... I haven't driven at night and I won't until I get my M2. My work is 60 clicks from my house and I can't afford loosing my G license.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    And colder, so you get black ice. And darker, with no contrast, so you can't see things like diesel fuel that's spilt on ramps. And against the law, so you might just end up with a suspended license, with all that entails. Weekends are a better idea.

Still wondering why this warranted thread necromancy though.