Got Full M, no change in $ though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Full M, no change in $ though

Got Full M, no change in $ though

I contacted my insurance broker today and he's advised me that insurance companies no longer care about m1/m2/m and that's it's all about age + new rider/experienced rider. I got my M in November 09 and was expecting a lower amount this year.

Can anyone confirm this?

I've have my M2 since 2006, M since Nov 09, going on my 5th year of insurance, 1 no-fault accident, 0 tickets and I'm paying 1300 for basic + theft/fire. Does this make any sense? I'm not driving a supersport either.
    Last edited by Dr_Laxative; 03-29-2010 at 12:07 PM.

Re: Got Full M, no change in $ though

I didn't know there was ever a drop for M2->M. There used to be with the M1 -> M2 with kingsway but that's all I ever heard about.

Quote Originally Posted by woobie View Post
    I didn't know there was ever a drop for M2->M. There used to be with the M1 -> M2 with kingsway but that's all I ever heard about.
    Really? That's odd I was always under the impression there was.

Guess I'll just shop around and see what I can find.
    Does 1300 sound reasonable though?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Laxative View Post

You haven't really given us much information to decide whether 1300 is 'reasonable'. What company are you with now? How old are you? We know you're not riding an SS, but what ARE you riding?

It pays to choose a company that caters to your type of bike. For example, I got a quote on a 38 year old 450cc of over $1400/yr for basic liability, but on my 30 year old 650cc, I only pay $577/yr for the same coverage.

Are you insured through State Farm?

It makes sense that there should be.

But then again.....the insurance hardly makes any real sense.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Quote Originally Posted by joelsephstalin View Post
    You haven't really given us much information to decide whether 1300 is 'reasonable'. What company are you with now? How old are you? We know you're not riding an SS, but what ARE you riding?

It pays to choose a company that caters to your type of bike. For example, I got a quote on a 38 year old 450cc of over $1400/yr for basic liability, but on my 30 year old 650cc, I only pay $577/yr for the same coverage.

Jevco, 29 in May, Motto Guzzi Breva 750

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    Are you insured through State Farm?
    No.. I believe they won't insure you unless you've had your license for at least 5 years.

That sounds about right, Jevco only has 2 different rate groups:

1. Under 1 year of M1/M2/M is a "0" rating which means new rider

2. Over 1 year of M1/M2/M is an "other" rating which means you
    get the prefered rating

To answer your question, yes it does seem reasonable. Once you hit the 30 years old mark your rate will drop, if you remain with the same company and their rates stay the same.

Hope this helps.
    Hytham Bayoumi
    Client Executive
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

Direct: 416-908-1865
    hbayoumi@pottruffsmith.com

No.. I believe they won't insure you unless you've had your license for at least 5 years.
    I got statefarm insurance when i got my M1 (winter of 2005) and unless that's changed since then you should be able to get insured without being licensed for 5 years.

You might as well check around, Jevco should have a good rate with your bike, so I expect it's the age issue....so not much you can do there. Try TD or State Farm for quotes, some people have had good luck with TD. SF is best for SS bikes but may also have a number you'd be happier with. I think, as I recall, someone said they got a good rate with Desjardins.

...Then one day you realise your 'knight in shining armour' is just a retard in tinfoil.

State Farms didn't give me any breaks on price when I got my full M license. It's too bad, I was under the impression they would...

They told me to call back in 2 years when I turn 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Serialize View Post
    I got statefarm insurance when i got my M1 (winter of 2005) and unless that's changed since then you should be able to get insured without being licensed for 5 years.
    You need to have 5 years of driving experience for State Farm.

" Run as fast as you can, then jump and slide on the pavement. Now think of traveling at 80 MPH and doing the same. Don't be a squid, wear proper gear. "

Regardless of what people may tell you (and what most people seem to believe), most companies do not change your rates when you go from your M1 to M2, or M2 to M. Your rate is usually based on other factors such as age, experience, etc.

Some companies may REQUIRE that you have your M2 or M before they will even consider insuring you.

By the way, State Farm indeed requires that you be five years licensed AND have your full G license before they will consider insuring you.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

In 11 years of biking (16-27) - I never saw any rate decrease based on experience, or license changes. Given there were a few different bikes throughout that time, years with the same bike still increased.

As a younger person, dont ever fall for their 'it will get cheaper' BS. If you ride the same class bikes, it will only get more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
    In 11 years of biking (16-27) - I never saw any rate decrease based on experience, or license changes. Given there were a few different bikes throughout that time, years with the same bike still increased.

As a younger person, dont ever fall for their 'it will get cheaper' BS. If you ride the same class bikes, it will only get more expensive.
    Who are you insured with. I can assure you that your premium should decrease as your risk profile improves, especially prior to 25yo (i.e. as you gain experience, become older, etc.). If your premium did not decrease in the years prior to 25yo, then you should probably be shopping around.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Manhattan View Post
    You need to have 5 years of driving experience for State Farm.
    Are you sure? Either my agent was REALLY COOL and lied for me, or 5 years exp isn't necessary...
    ~~Emilio~~

'98 Suzuki GSX-R750: Sold
    '02 Yamaha R1: Sold
    '06 Suzuki GSX-R1000 CUSTOM: Current
    '08 Suzuki GSX-R750: Current

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Who are you insured with. I can assure you that your premium should decrease as your risk profile improves, especially prior to 25yo (i.e. as you gain experience, become older, etc.). If your premium did not decrease in the years prior to 25yo, then you should probably be shopping around.

Been following your posts, have a question for you.

Turning 30 in may, 07 GSXR 750, Full G for 8 years now, my 5th bike with no claims, no accidents. One 10km/hr over (ticket) last year, with StateFarm ever since my first bike.

What would you say I should be paying? (Just based on your experience, roughly)

TIA

Edit: forgot to mention, FULL coverage
    Last edited by tigster; 04-05-2010 at 03:03 PM.
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by tigster View Post
    Been following your posts, have a question for you.

Turning 30 in may, 07 GSXR 750, Full G for 8 years now, my 5th bike with no claims, no accidents. One 10km/hr over (ticket) last year, with StateFarm ever since my first bike.

What would you say I should be paying? (Just based on your experience, roughly)

TIA

Edit: forgot to mention, FULL coverage
    How much you should be paying with State Farm? This depends on whether or not you also have a car with them. If you have your car with State Farm, you are likely paying in the neighbourhood of $90/mo. Without your car, you are likely paying in the neighbourhood of $125/mo. These are just guesses

Since you are turning 30, it would be well worth you while to try getting a quote with TD/Meloche Monnex/Primmum. If you are a member of a professional organization, try quoting with Meloche first, assuming that the policy will take effect after your 30th birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    How much you should be paying with State Farm? This depends on whether or not you also have a car with them. If you have your car with State Farm, you are likely paying in the neighbourhood of $90/mo. Without your car, you are likely paying in the neighbourhood of $125/mo. These are just guesses

Since you are turning 30, it would be well worth you while to try getting a quote with TD/Meloche Monnex/Primmum. If you are a member of a professional organization, try quoting with Meloche first, assuming that the policy will take effect after your 30th birthday.
    Thanks for the reply, I reside in Thornhill, and my car is not insured with SF, they quoted me $150 a month (up from $140 last year)

I will try to get a quote from Meloche once I turn 30 in May, maybe they can offer me a better rate. A Friend of mine is my age, has a car and his home insured with SF, and he's paying $90 a month, dead on
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.