New Rider

Thread: New Rider

New Rider

Hi all I just got my M1 last week and will be doing a training course for the m2 in a couple more weeks. YAY
    How would you guys feel about a new rider buying a 96' Vulcan 500?
    Would this be an ok beginers bike?
    I've only ridden dirt bikes once or twice in my life just messing around, other than that I havn't really been on bikes. I'm looking for a bike that would last me a year or two before upgrading, something cheap on insurance (I've check insurance cost on the Vulcan and it was ok for me just under 1K a month). As well I want something that I can take on the highway after I'm 110% comfortable with city riding.
    My brother told me anything smaller then a 400cc wouldn't be good for highway usage and anything bigger than 600cc would be to risky to start with.

Also what kinda price would you say that kinda bike is worth(in good conditon)

Thanks for the Help and I hope I cyea on the roads soon!

Re: New Rider

Vulcan is a cruiser not a super sport so the whole "less than 600cc" thing doesn't apply here. Cruisers are generally much slower than sports bikes so even a 750-900cc cruiser shouldn't be much of an issue for you. With that said, Vulcan is a great, agile bike. My dad had one, really liked it. It doesn't feel underpowered at all (it's got a Ninja engine in it after all, just slightly modified). Alright for the highway but you won't have tons of acceleration. Nevertheless, it will keep up and you can cruise at 120-130km/h comfortably.
    I think it's an excellent choice for a first bike.

Price wise - I wouldn't pay more than 2-2.5 grand for a '96. Depends on the mileage and condition of course. People in GTA like to inflate prices. I was just buying a Ninja 500 for a friend. Asking prices in Toronto were $2,500-$3,500 for 15 year old ones.... So I bought a 10 year old one in Windsor for $1,450. Needed about $300 worth of parts. Total - $1,900 including gas. So what I'm saying is, don't be intimidated by the prices around here, take your time, look around, bargain hard. Go out of town to get a better deal.
    Last edited by DemonPig; 03-29-2010 at 12:00 PM.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Welcome aboard. Vulcan's a great bike to start on if you're into cruisers. Have a blast on it and be safe
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Thanks for the replys!
    You anwsered my next question alrdy DemonPig your good! - I was going to ask about getting a 750cc shadow instead, but wasn't sure if it would have to much power for newbie.

I am looking around for a nice begginer cruiser still, the one Vulcan i was looking at got sold before I could even get out to look at it.

Any Suggestions on other nice begginer cruiser... around the 2K price range, and something cheap on insurnace (The Vulcan would have only been about 1K a year for insureance and that's about what I can afford atm)

No problem man, just happened so that I'm familiar with this particular bike.

How big are you? Height/weight? Will you want to ride 2up or no?
    Mostly city or long trips?

The more details the easier it is to suggest a motorcycle.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

I'm 5'7 210 pounds and 26 years old. It's going to be just me on the bike most of the time, don't wanta take passangers for the first year at all. I'll be doing more highway than street driving i hope with trips to go camping(parents trailers is about 5 hours from my place) but it will also be used for just getting around town on nice days as well.
    I've been looking at insurnace cost the past few days and it looks like I don't want to go any higher than 500cc because of insurance cost. For a 500CC Vulcan it would cost me just under 1K a year for insurance where's for a 750cc shadow would cost me almost 2K a year for insurance. So I'm really hoping to find a used 500cc for around 2k 3K TOPS.

Heh I'm also looking for a vulcan 500. Some decent deals down south but haven't come across one here.

GL

It also has the same engine as ninja 500 so it can handle highways probably better then 650 cruisers.

Maybe Honda Shadow 600 (VLX) would be another bike to consider?
    I still think that Vulcan is a perfect starter bike and it will easily hang with 600-650cc cruisers.
    As for insurance, sounds like you're being quoted by State Farm? They do rate by number of CCs. So maybe you should search around more. Although $1,000 is not too bad for starters.

Give Avi Singh a call. He's on this forum, very helpful guy, even if you don't end up signing with him.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=56019

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

that quote was from TD actly, statefarm said they would not insure me because I don't have a G lic.

Hmm Yea the Shadow isn't bad looking at all, might be abit more for insurance but I'll keep an open mind if I see one.

Avi Singh eh? Sure I'll give him a call for a quote next time I need one as well.

Thanks for the tips!

+1 for Avi. Won't find a better guy to deal with.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]