My West Coast/States Trip

Thread: My West Coast/States Trip

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My West Coast/States Trip

Thought I'd start another thread about the Western leg of my cross Canada trip cause of the overwhelming response to my East Coast thread , kidding.

5345 kms from Toronto to Vancouver, in nine days, arrived in Port Moody yesterday, Aug 31st.
    Will be returning to TO through the States, but taking it a little slower, more meandering.
    Start heading back on Sept. 6th or 7th.
    Lots of great roads but the highlights came naturally in Jasper/Banff & through Golden/Revelstoke/Sicamous.
    A great little side trip was going south on #1 at Cache Creek to Lytton and north on #12 to Lilloet.
    Then taking #99 down to Vancouver.
    Good Times!

On a side note, I'll need a new rear tire around North Dakota, anyone know of a good shop?

Re: My West Coast/States Trip

Found one, Scotts Track & Wheel in Glasgow, Montana, I ordered the tire early so it'd be there when I arrived.
    Scott asked for a couple days heads up for putting the tire on, I called on a Wed. and showed up first thing Fri. morning at 9am, & back on the road by 10.

I found that when you're on a trip, sometimes %^& happens. I needed service three times and each time worked out great.

All three shops had me back on the road as soon as they could, awesome.

Last edited by GAR; 03-05-2012 at 10:21 PM.

I spent just over two weeks back in TO after the States/East Coast trip, unpacking, cleaning, re-packing, catching up with maitenance, getting the expensive new muffler & adding a tank bag. I'd had the tank bag for ages, but never used it. I really did'nt think I'd need it for the East Coast trip, but after strapping down groceries, water & beer (all you really need for a trip) I was kicking myself. If you're debating about bringing one, put it on, very handy.

Tues Aug 23 2011

Toronto to Sault Ste. Marie 401W, 400N, 69N, 17W 725 km

Long day, riding from 10am till 7:30pm, got better on 69, then 17 along Superior, of course.
    Checked into the Algonquin Hotel & got a private room w/ a bathroom for $50, not too bad. If you stay on a Fri or Sat, chances are there'll be a cover band playing at the bar downstairs. Great patio after a long day.
    Good weather today, but everyone today is talking about rain tomorrow, we'll see.

Wed Aug 24 2011

Sault Ste. Marie to Thunder Bay 17W 678 km

Up at 7am at the hotel, had a great night here.
    20 minutes outta town it poured with signifigant winds and hail, so I pulled over to wait it out, I could'nt see a thing. Worst storm I've ever been caught in, and it was over in less than 10 minutes.
    Little bit of everything on the way, rain & sun, but mostly rain.
    Another long day, checked into the Thunder Bay International Hostel, a great spot, my own room for $20. The hostel's main building is an old motel, couple other buildings for rooms too. I had no idea, but the couple running the place are legends in the hostelling community & well travelled.
    Had a great night hanging out w/ an Aussie gal singin' Paul Kelly songs to each other.
    Almost gave up a couple times w/ the bad weather, but pushed on through.

Thrs Aug 25 2011

Thunder Bay to Winnipeg Man 17W/1W 750 km

Up at 6am giving way to a clear sky, awesome. Clear all the way & hot. Stopped at a rest area and took a quick dip, much needed and refreshing, cold water, just the thing. 17 is a great ride along Superior.
    Almost camped about 100k outside of Winnipeg, but figured I've done alot of camping, but never seen Winnipeg, so I pressed on to the huge hostel there.
    Rode into town just as the sun was setting, Winnipeg never looked better! Really liked it here, it gets a bad rap, but it's a great place. Having the Jets back will make it even better. Everyone was pretty excited about that.
    When I checked into the hostel I got a room w/ only two other guys who were in town for a wedding, and were already burnt out, bless her heart, I was bagged.

www.photobucket.com/west-1

Thanks for posting this. This is a trip I am considering. I especially like your posting the route taken, the departure and arrival times every day and the distance covered. Helps a great deal to put things into perspective for organizing such a journey. Keep it coming!
    Robert
    '02 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    '91 BMW K1 (sold)

The first point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Will do Bob, I'm enjoying recalling the trip(s) & laying it out here.

Fri Aug. 26 2011

Winnipeg, Man. to Good Spirit Campground, Sask. 1W to 16W-Yellowhead, 47N to Good Spirit 564km

Good Spirit, kinda fitting after this day....

Spent the morning in downtown Winnipeg, downing coffee, watching the city come alive, and hitting a greasy spoon for breakfast. Freshened up back at the hostel, chatting w/ the two guys in town for the wedding, they were really interested in the trip, both recently moving to Canada from Nigeria and realizing for themselves just how big this country is.

I gassed up before leaving Winnipeg and decided to take the Yellowhead #16 since I wanted to go through Edmonton/Jasper/Banff/Vancouver.
    Beautiful day, clear sky, got on the Yellowhead at Portage la Prarie. Heading North, I approached the only corner in the Praires and there was a semi from the opposite direction, in my lane, heading right at me. I was doing about 120km, he was alot faster and just did'nt seem to realize he was going really fast, around his bend, in the wrong lane.
    I honked, I waved at him to move over, I geared down, I went as far right in my lane as I could without hitting the gravel shoulder giving way to the ditch. Which at the time seemed like a pretty good option, you know the ditch, rather than the truck. I held my ground skimming the edge of the road, hoping for a good reaction from him, instead of bailing. He jerked it over at the last second, no joke, his front grill whizzing by inches from my shoulder. If he had a trailer on his rig, I would not be writing this.

This kinda shook things up for the day. I rode for another half hour. I watched him after we passed, he did'nt even slow down, let alone stop. It's funny, I slowed way down, seeing if he would. If he stopped I would have rode over, just to see if he was as scared @#%*less as I was.

That bend was at Macdonald, I pulled over at Neepawa to gas up and get myself together. I've had alot of close calls, we all have. This one was the closest yet. It did happen that fast, and it was "like a movie".

The roads in Saskatchewan were a welcome releif, no one around, and not much to look at. Everyone always says riding or driving through the Praires is boring, it does have it's charms.

Set up camp, had a couple cold ones staring into the fire wondering what if....

Sat. Aug. 27 2011

Good Spirit Campground, Sask. to Maidstone, Sask. #16W 596km

Hoped to make it to Vermillion, Alta. but came up short .
    Left the camp at 9:30am, the sun and heat were getting the best of me later in the day. I pulled in to what I thought was a rest area, it turned out to be a campground, based on the honour system. $10 a night w/ envelopes provided for the $ and a slot to slip it into. I could'nt pass it up, so I rode into Lashburn for some dinner and supplies. Came back and set up where the sun would rise on the site.
    Threw on the shorts & sandals right away and got settled.
    Waved at a couple just pulling up, they were checking out the firewood situation. The campground offered some, but it was slim pickens. They had some of their own and just gave it to me, kindling, newspapers and firewood. They said they were going into town anyway and would pick up some more & made sure I had dinner. They returned and again made sure I was'nt hungry and invited me to their spot. Had a great night w/ Kevin & Kira from Lloydminister 'round the fire, as we were the only folks camping that night. Turned out I was'nt too far off from nailing Kevins accent/dialect. All this Saskatchewan hospitality hails from Springdale, NFLND. I narrowed it down to NFLND. He was going home for a visit in the Spring, had'nt been there for a while.

Halfway Park Campground on #16 Yellowhead at Maidstone, Sask.

Sun. Aug 28 2011

Maidstone, Sask. to Jasper, Alta. 16W, 692km

Packed up and left at 9:30am. Went back into Lashburn for some breakfast at the same place I had dinner the night before, but I was there 1/2 hour before they opened, he recognized me & knew I was camping & let me in and made me some eggs n bacon. Really nice of him, did'nt have to do that. Another example of good fortune on the road.

Caught my first glimpse of the Rockies just past Edson, Alta.

And it just got better. I chose a hostel at Edith Cavell Mt. The road up there was awesome, off of 93A. When I arrived at the hostel I joked w/ the staff sitting out front that I'd be right back, I wanna do that again!

After two days of camping without a shower, I was ready for one. Turned out there's no electricity or running water here, ah well.

Did'nt matter, the spot is just as good as the ride in, great night around the fire.

www.photobucket.com/west-2