Hawkley newbie

Thread: Hawkley newbie

Hawkley newbie

Hey guys, I'm thinking about going up to hawkley later on this week when the weather is nice and I was wondering which parts of the road are the best? From what i read so far, the good stretch is from hwy 10 to airport road?

Re: Hawkley newbie

Yup, that's the best. Just rode it yesterday, Sat., all was good , minimal sand, no police, fair amount of traffic. Traffic and police will probably increase this week as the weather warms. Lots of great riding north of there, PM me for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by k'2 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about going up to hawkley later on this week when the weather is nice and I was wondering which parts of the road are the best? From what i read so far, the good stretch is from hwy 10 to airport road?
    Take it slow at fist , OPP like to hang out on Hockley
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Thumbs up Re: Hawkley newbie

There's almost always cops hiding somewhere or another on Hockley Rd. If you go a little further north,take Mono Center Rd between Airport Rd. and Hwy.#10,there's a few good turns in there and the speed limit is 80 through most of it,just watch for the cops when it drops down to 70 westbound,they're usually hiding in a driveway after the last bend.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zeder View Post
    Yup, that's the best. Just rode it yesterday, Sat., all was good , minimal sand, no police, fair amount of traffic. Traffic and police will probably increase this week as the weather warms. Lots of great riding north of there, PM me for more info.
    PM sent!

Hockleys great but as others have said cops like it too LOL

Man.. I blasted that on the weekend. It's ok. Not worth the drive though. Not to mention it gets packed by old people on cruisers gong slow.

Thats a stupid comment.
    Also gets packed with squids going fast.
    Most cruisers do the speed limit or a bit more, if you need to go fast go to the track.

Quote Originally Posted by macrider View Post
    Thats a stupid comment.
    Also gets packed with squids going fast.
    Most cruisers do the speed limit or a bit more, if you need to go fast go to the track.
    Don't be silly. Squids don't go there because there is no one to impress so there's no point. You usually ssee quids where there are people to look at them and where the roads are really straight..

Quote Originally Posted by GTASynthetics View Post
    Don't be silly. Squids don't go there because there is no one to impress so there's no point. You usually ssee quids where there are people to look at them and where the roads are really straight..
    ............with ramps.............
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Take it slow at fist , OPP like to hang out on Hockley
    Their two favourite spots are:
    1) North side small pull off just east of 1st Line and,
    2) Parked on 5th Line either north or south of Hockley.

About six years ago I get nailed at Spot 1 doing 42-over on my first ride of the season. I was eastbound and you can't see him until you round the curve. I have ridden this road quite literally hundreds of times and was quite ticked with myself for getting caught there.

Rode Hockley last weekend and it was in good shape, dry and clear of debris. You should ride north up Airport Road and take a run west when you reach Mansfield. Great sweepers and a couple of tight turns as the road heads into a valley. Circle around north on Prince of Wales and east on River Road back to Airport Road and then come back down and go through the Mono Centre area. Makes for a nice loop.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

Hey Malks,
    I did river road west from princes of wales last weekend , on the way to tobermory, and found it to be sandy. How's east to airport on river rd? Usually has some gravel in the corners thru out the season.
    Flying is easy...just hurl yourself at the ground and ...miss

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zeder View Post
    Hey Malks,
    I did river road west from princes of wales last weekend , on the way to tobermory, and found it to be sandy. How's east to airport on river rd? Usually has some gravel in the corners thru out the season.
    The section coming down the escarpment in the tighter corners was sandy, as usual. The rest was really nice and there is new asphalt over the section near Terra Nova. I was following a FJR until he took off at the bottom of Prince of Wales; I take it real easy going through those first few turns because of all the sand and gravel.

Malks
    1997 ST1100