New boy just got a bike - but is confused

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New boy just got a bike - but is confused

Question New boy just got a bike - but is confused

Hey guys,

I am a first time rider and I just bought a Black Honda CBR 125R. I have been reading a lot of reviews that people are finding this model CBR being slow going and one doesn't start to speed up until second gear.
    Is this true? What are your opinions?

Secondly, I am 6'1 235pounds. I am a fairly tall individual and I somewhat make this bike feel like a midget. What bike do you all think I should upgrade to after I feel comfortable to do so?

Thanks,

Re: New boy just got a bike - but is confused

Welcome aboard. With your weight, I'd have started at least on a 250, maybe even 500 (GS or EX).
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Welcome aboard. With your weight, I'd have started at least on a 250, maybe even 500 (GS or EX).
    Like said above, bigger beginner bikes are Ninja 250R, older Ninja EX500, Suzuki GS500/GS500F.

Quote Originally Posted by -Sunny- View Post
    Hey guys,

I am a first time rider and I just bought a Black Honda CBR 125R. I have been reading a lot of reviews that people are finding this model CBR being slow going and one doesn't start to speed up until second gear.

Secondly, I am 6'1 235pounds. I am a fairly tall individual and I somewhat make this bike feel like a midget. What bike do you all think I should upgrade to after I feel comfortable to do so?

Thanks,
    If you really work on being smooth with your clutch control and throttle while riding the 125, making the transition to a large bike with more power will be much easier.

The big problem with a wee bike like that is it's very forgiving if you "dump the clutch" while in mid corner, but if you did that during a wet day or while on loose surface it could have disastrous results, similarly riding say a 600cc supersport such as the 2010 Yamaha R6 with stock 122 horse power compared to your 13 horse power.

A dual sport is great on insurance, light weight and a reasonable upgrade that you'd have fun on with your height and weight.

So do you want to stick with sport bikes or are you interested in sport touring, track days, off road, cruising?

If you said sport and worried about insurance I'd suggest an SV650.
    If you said supersport, I like any of the 600cc range.
    if you said sport touring, a Suzuki Bandit 600cc, Kawasaki ZR7S or similar, the Yamaha FZ6 or Honda 599
    If you said dual sport or super moto... The 400cc bikes rock due to power to weight ratio, but suffer on the highway, while the 650cc bikes tend to be top heavy and harder to ride single track. Great on insurance though, and great for taller riders.
    There's always a Versys, VStrom or the Varadero or CBF to choose from if you want a "do everything bike".

I'm sure you'll get more than this.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    If you really work on being smooth with your clutch control and throttle while riding the 125, making the transition to a large bike with more power will be much easier.

The big problem with a wee bike like that is it's very forgiving if you "dump the clutch" while in mid corner, but if you did that during a wet day or while on loose surface it could have disastrous results, similarly riding say a 600cc supersport such as the 2010 Yamaha R6 with stock 122 horse power compared to your 13 horse power.

A dual sport is great on insurance, light weight and a reasonable upgrade that you'd have fun on with your height and weight.

So do you want to stick with sport bikes or are you interested in sport touring, track days, off road, cruising?

If you said sport and worried about insurance I'd suggest an SV650.
    If you said supersport, I like any of the 600cc range.
    if you said sport touring, a Suzuki Bandit 600cc, Kawasaki ZR7S or similar, the Yamaha FZ6 or Honda 599
    If you said dual sport or super moto... The 400cc bikes rock due to power to weight ratio, but suffer on the highway, while the 650cc bikes tend to be top heavy and harder to ride single track. Great on insurance though, and great for taller riders.
    There's always a Versys, VStrom or the Varadero or CBF to choose from if you want a "do everything bike".

I'm sure you'll get more than this.
    Thanks for the info,

I was thinking about the SV650 or a 600cc bike... I am a tad bit worried about insurance but not as much as most people.

Another question I had was - should I put any upgrades on the CBR to make it accelerate a bit faster? As some do say it lacks in accl.?

At the age of 18 you'd get raped on insurance on a 600+ bike. You might get away with a cruiser, but not a "sport" bike.
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Like said above, bigger beginner bikes are Ninja 250R, older Ninja EX500, Suzuki GS500/GS500F.
    Brian P rides both a cbr125 and a ZX10.

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    Brian P rides both a cbr125 and a ZX10.
    Brian P's nowhere near 235lbs and his weebr sure as hell ain't nowhere near stock

Don't waste your money on upgrades. Just get some kms under your belt and upgrade after a season or two.

Hey guys,

Thanks,
    Sheesh, I have a twin?

My old user name was "Sunny S", my connection with a Honda CBR125 is I took one out a few years ago and ride with a guy that owns one, I am 6' 1.5", and around 235lbs. Please tell me you are not Italian? I'm older than you though.

GTA-M. Your best bang for the entertainment buck.
    What feels better than banking a motorcycle over into a corner?

Hey guys,

Thanks,

I think a 250 would be perfect for you and last you at least 2 seasons. Btw about the comment you looking like a midget, don't worry I 6'2 and 275 and I ride a cbr 600rr and I make that think look like a 125 lmao. Just enjoy your new hobby and don't care what people think.

P.s. go with the 250.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by MotoStark View Post
    Sheesh, I have a twin?

My old user name was "Sunny S", my connection with a Honda CBR125 is I took one out a few years ago and ride with a guy that owns one, I am 6' 1.5", and around 235lbs. Please tell me you are not Italian? I'm older than you though.

Ha ha, awsome... No I am not Italian... lol people think mobster when they hear my name :P

my last name starts with S as well..

I was close to making my name Sunny S but I didnt.. Lol so how old are you grandpa?

Just doing a little shopping around but, where do you guys think I should grab my helmet and my jacket from?

Any good places??? hit me up

when i first got gear got it at royal distributing in guelph

You already got the CBR, ride around on it for 2-3 months at least and than you'll have a better idea of what kind of riding you want to do, and what kind of 2nd bike you want. The 125 is probably way underpowered for you but hey, fun toy to learn on.
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

first time I tried a 125 I thought something was wrong with it, I was up at like 8000rpms and the bike was just slightly moving. At your weight I would of picked up something between 250-500ccs
    Lets Ride

Just doing a little shopping around but, where do you guys think I should grab my helmet and my jacket from?

Any good places??? hit me up
    there's a motorcycle spring show in a week or 2.
    Just list the things you need so that you dont go scrambling and unprepared.

How have I been reading all these magazine articles and Internet threads for months/years but have not heard "weebr" yet??? Awesome.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOnion View Post
    How have I been reading all these magazine articles and Internet threads for months/years but have not heard "weebr" yet??? Awesome.
    I think Brian P posted it on this site and I found it both funny and fitting to the bike

Hey guys,

Check the CBR forums (cbr125r.ca), maybe consider the 15 tooth sprocket (or is it 14??) Ppl have said it increases gas mileage, and effects do seem to differ between people.

I just sold my weebr, but I'm a mere 140 lbs but was able to sustain 105-110 on the 401 with stock everything
    2002 Suzuki Marauder 800
    2008 CBR125 (Sold!)