New boy just got a bike - but is confused - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New boy just got a bike - but is confused

Re: New boy just got a bike - but is confused

haha my real name is Sunny, and I pretty much started off on a 125. Had it for at least 1 season and then moved up to a 600. I really wouldn't regret purchasing the 125, gave me some good practice, barely rode it on the hwy, + it was good on the streets.

Good buy! Keep it for a bit, like mentioned earlier, get some km's under your belt and then move up..

Quote Originally Posted by misteral View Post
    Check the CBR forums (cbr125r.ca), maybe consider the 15 tooth sprocket (or is it 14??) Ppl have said it increases gas mileage, and effects do seem to differ between people.

I just sold my weebr, but I'm a mere 140 lbs but was able to sustain 105-110 on the 401 with stock everything
    its 14T
    increases acceleration, you lose in 6th but at least its usable

I dont see a difference in mileage

I was teaching on a course with them today and watched a guy wheelie one by accident. I'm 6' and the biggest problem I had was in the "Zeds" of the course the bars would hit my knees before they'd hit lock. I like them, for 12.7 horsepower I was impressed how nice they are to ride and operate. In comparison my 650 KLR is much harder to operate. If they had a bit more highway top end, I'd say they're a perfect little bike. I'd like an adjustable clutch lever as stock though, but I want that on every bike I ride.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    I was teaching on a course with them today and watched a guy wheelie one by accident. I'm 6' and the biggest problem I had was in the "Zeds" of the course the bars would hit my knees before they'd hit lock. I like them, for 12.7 horsepower I was impressed how nice they are to ride and operate. In comparison my 650 KLR is much harder to operate. If they had a bit more highway top end, I'd say they're a perfect little bike. I'd like an adjustable clutch lever as stock though, but I want that on every bike I ride.
    Random noob question but, is it possible to adjust the clutch release point? The clutch release on the CBR is practically kicks in when you fully release the clutch???

One more thing that just came to mind is... Anyone know where I can grab a set of WHITE or RED Rim Tape for a stock 2008 Honda CBR 125r??? (17 inch rims)
    Last edited by -Sunny-; 04-05-2010 at 09:15 PM.

Absolutely. On the right side of the lever there is a locking ring the needs to be backed off, then you can adjust the nut towards the lever and that will release earlier when operating the clutch.If you adjust that same nut away from the lever, the clutch will engage when the lever is more fully released.When you deflect the lever it moves away from the mount. The distance between the two is what is measured for specs. Bikes differ, but if you see at least 2mm or more you're probably in the right area.That being said, I use a two finger grip on my levers so - adjust them so the release point won't mash the two that are still gripping the bar, and at full release, there is a tiny bit of slack in the cable, that way I know that the clutch is fully engaged and not allowed to slip as a taut cable would do. Rim tape? Choose your colour, width and length. It's not bike specific.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    Absolutely. On the right side of the lever there is a locking ring the needs to be backed off, then you can adjust the nut towards the lever and that will release earlier when operating the clutch.If you adjust that same nut away from the lever, the clutch will engage when the lever is more fully released.When you deflect the lever it moves away from the mount. The distance between the two is what is measured for specs. Bikes differ, but if you see at least 2mm or more you're probably in the right area.That being said, I use a two finger grip on my levers so - adjust them so the release point won't mash the two that are still gripping the bar, and at full release, there is a tiny bit of slack in the cable, that way I know that the clutch is fully engaged and not allowed to slip as a taut cable would do. Rim tape? Choose your colour, width and length. It's not bike specific.
    I will try adjusting it tomorrow as its raining and my garage light just broke a few days ago. And about the Rim Tape... I don't use any regular tape do I?? I heard there is specially cut tape that varies from rim size to rim size??? Where can I find this tape or what can I use instead???

Quote Originally Posted by xjonjonx View Post
    Don't waste your money on upgrades. Just get some kms under your belt and upgrade after a season or two.
    +1.

The show this weekend at the International Centre at 6900 Airport Road should have many vendors selling it.The thickness, colour and adhesive are what you look for. I'd trust a 3m brand over a noname, just measure the flat part of the rim on top of your bead (the lip where the rubber meets the rim)I can't see why you couldn't use automotive tape, but I've never felt the inclination to install it, so if someone says they have, take their advice instead. It's unsprung weight. Something we don't like on bikes.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by -Sunny- View Post
    I will try adjusting it tomorrow as its raining and my garage light just broke a few days ago. And about the Rim Tape... I don't use any regular tape do I?? I heard there is specially cut tape that varies from rim size to rim size??? Where can I find this tape or what can I use instead???
    try ebay
    still a noob.

Need prescription eyeglasses? contact me.

haha always resort to eBay eh?

LOL anyhow

Thanks for everyone that gave feedback in this thread, it helped me out A LOT