READ BEFORE POSTING: Which Insurance Company will give me the best rate??? - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: READ BEFORE POSTING: Which Insurance Company will give me the best rate???

Re: READ BEFORE POSTING: Which Insurance Company will give me the best rate???

Quote Originally Posted by Jlin View Post
    Hey Viffer,

It seems like State Farm has taken themselves out from insuring people with 5 years of experience to insuring riders that has at least 6 years of experience (according to Seamus Kelly), can you please verify this for me?

If that's the case then I'm going to be screwed because I'd have to wait until next November
    I've heard this rumour as well, but it hasn't been verified. Someone thought that State Farm required 6 years if you have claims and/or convictions on your record, and only 5 years otherwise (although I haven't seen this confirmed):

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...=1#post1429580

If someone could confirm/deny this with a State Farm agent, I wouldn't mind knowing the answer.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    I've heard this rumour as well, but it hasn't been verified. Someone thought that State Farm required 6 years if you have claims and/or convictions on your record, and only 5 years otherwise (although I haven't seen this confirmed):

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...=1#post1429580

If someone could confirm/deny this with a State Farm agent, I wouldn't mind knowing the answer.

Well thing is, I heard this from seamus himself when I asked for a quote for next year, I looked forward to turning 21 to take advantage of statefarm with my 5 years of G and clean record. If that's really the case then I'm SOL.

Probably end up storing the bike all summer...

Well thing is, I heard this from seamus himself when I asked for a quote for next year, I looked forward to turning 21 to take advantage of statefarm with my 5 years of G and clean record. If that's really the case then I'm SOL.

Probably end up storing the bike all summer...
    Do you happen to have any claims or convictions on your record?
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

nope, my record is squeaky clean.

nope, my record is squeaky clean.
    I see. I guess we need to see if we can find a counter example.

Thanks Viffer, for this post.
    Get up ,Let`s Ride and Enjoy The Rising Sun...Psalm 118:24

Potentially a stupid question:

Sport or SuperSport: 600cc

Follow the >600cc or <600cc path?

Quote Originally Posted by jaymurr View Post
    Potentially a stupid question:

Sport or SuperSport: 600cc

Follow the >600cc or <600cc path?
    Generally speaking, it is a SS if the displacement is greater than or equal to 600CC; however, you should bear in mind that the displacement will almost always round up. For instance, if your bike has 599CC, it will still be classed as a SS. If you think the bike is a SS and it has close to 600CC, in all likelihood it's classified as a SS.

The Jevco Blacklist will give you a pretty good idea of whether or not your bike is considered a SS:

http://cmgonline.com/index.php?optio...893&Itemid=349

Your attachments on your original post are showing up as "broken" for me, not sure if it's the same for others.
    Could you please repost them if possible?
    *edit* Nevermind it's because I am behind a proxy that blocks photobucket. I see it from a different network.

I have been riding someone else's bike most of summer 2010 and completed RTI training in summer 2009.
    I now have a 93 Suzuki GSX1100F (Katana) that I got for free, just needs a bit of work to pass safety.
    I have one major ticket on my license that I got with my Mustang a few years ago, due to fall off at the end of june 2011.
    Last edited by jeero; 02-19-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Hi Viffer;

What is the surcharge for having one claim? The claim happened 5 years ago this march. Would it be really high?

no ticket. driving for almost 8 years.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nitrouz201 View Post
    Hi Viffer;

What is the surcharge for having one claim? The claim happened 5 years ago this march. Would it be really high?

no ticket. driving for almost 8 years.

thanks
    One rating factor used to determine your premium is called "Driving Record" -- this is the number of consecutive years that you have been driving without making an at-fault claim. For most companies, your driving record will max out at 6 (which is commonly referred to as six star). When you make a claim, your Driving Record drops to 0 and your rates go up as a result. For each year after the claim that you remain at-fault claims free, your driving record will increase (and hence your premium decrease) until you once again reach the best status of 6. The premium differences between different Driving Record values can vary substantially between different insurers and I really have no way to quantify it with a surcharge value. With a Driving Record of 5, you are almost back to the excellent rating of 6.

I called up State Farm, and they said you have to have an auto policy through them to get motorcycle insurance. Has anyone else found that?

Quote Originally Posted by MPCurley View Post
    I called up State Farm, and they said you have to have an auto policy through them to get motorcycle insurance. Has anyone else found that?
    No. I have motorcycle only.
    Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

Some agents will only take your bike if you bring your car, house, etc., while others will insure just your bike. Don't stop with the first agent, phone around to find one that's willing to insure only your bike.

Firstly, Thank you for posting this Viffer!

Secondly, I think there needs to be a correction for:

Non-Sport Bike< 25yo Operator Age 21-24 M1/M2 Licensed for 1+ Years C2

with Operator Age 21-24 M1/M2 Licensed for < 1 Year ...

and vice-versa, otherwise why isn't State Farm included in C2?

Similarly,

Sport or Non-Sport <600cc M1/M2 Licensed for 1+ Years S17

with Sport or Non-Sport <600cc M1/M2 Licensed for < 1 Year ...

and vice-versa, otherwise why isn't State Farm included in 'S17'?

i know it will be expensive but i am 16 years old i have my g1 m2 riders safety course anyone know a company or broker that will insure i understand it will be expensive but please let me know thanks,
    Tcb
    safe riding!

That agent lied. The can (and must) sell you a motorcycle-only policy if that is what you want, but you won't get the multi-product discount of roughly 35% to 40%.

Quote Originally Posted by UltrA_09 View Post
    Firstly, Thank you for posting this Viffer!
    No problem

Secondly, I think there needs to be a correction for:

Non-Sport Bike< 25yo Operator Age 21-24 M1/M2 Licensed for 1+ Years C2

with Operator Age 21-24 M1/M2 Licensed for < 1 Year ...

and vice-versa, otherwise why isn't State Farm included in C2?
    This is done on purpose. My flowchart is attempting you point you to the *cheapest* companies given your profile, not all available companies. In C2, you have held your M1/M2 for over a year, which means you qualify as an "experienced" rider at Jevco. On top of this, in C2 your bike is NOT a SS. This means that Jevco should be cheaper than State Farm. State Farm is really only good for people riding SS's or people on non-SS's with less than a year of riding experience.

Similarly,

Sport or Non-Sport <600cc M1/M2 Licensed for 1+ Years S17

with Sport or Non-Sport <600cc M1/M2 Licensed for < 1 Year ...

and vice-versa, otherwise why isn't State Farm included in 'S17'?
    State Farm is purposely not included in S17 for the same reasons given above -- the bike is not blacklisted and you have over a year of experience, so you should go to Jevco and take advantage of their "experienced rider" rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcb View Post
    i know it will be expensive but i am 16 years old i have my g1 m2 riders safety course anyone know a company or broker that will insure i understand it will be expensive but please let me know thanks,
    Tcb
    safe riding!
    You're probably not qualified for any standard insurance company because of your age and lack of experience. You will probably have to go with Facility Association until you build up a riding history. Any broker can quote you on Facility -- it is the insurance company of last resort.

Honestly, at 16yo, you need to have a lot of disposable income (i.e. wealthy parents) to justify owning a bike. Unless you come from a family of wealth, you're probably better off sinking money into RESP's at your age.

hi Viffer,

Wonder if i can get some help or idea's. I want to get this CBR 600, 2008. I got into a bike accident last year and claimed it while with statefarm. This year looking to get back into riding, I called statefarm for a quote, they said they would insure me no problem. I had forgotten to tell them about my at fault car accident in 2007. I am now 25 years old, turning 26, i have two at fault accidents, one in 2007 with car, and last years bike accident and one speeding ticket last year with my car, i have my full G license and m1 and registered for m2 course in june. Can i still get insurance somewhere under 3grand a year? or should i just ask a friend to insure my bike for me. Statefarm won't insure me because of my two at faults.
    Please give me some companies to look into, i was so excited to get insured tomorrow... that lady at statefarm totally gave my hopes up and crushed my dreams today.