Suggestions for Summer Touring Trip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Summer Touring Trip

Smile Suggestions for Summer Touring Trip

I know there is a sticky about good riding roads up top, but I'm interested in people's personal suggestions for a vacation I'd like to take on the bike . I do this sort of vacation every year, but I'm somewhat out of ideas since I've hit some of the big riding destinations / routes in previous years.

In previous years I've done things like:
    -Blue Ridge Parkway / Skyline drive /Deals Gap (West Virginia , Tennessee etc)
    -Pennsylvania / Vermont / New Hampshire ( visiting Mount Washington )
    -Maine (Acadia Park)

I essentially have 10 days for this (so 5 days going in and 5 days coming back).
    I'm guessing about 500km per day relaxed pace on Sport Touring / Dual Sport bikes. Also it doesn't need to be near major metropolitan areas because we always bring tents and camp (and campsites are a dime a dozen everywhere).

Anyone have any suggestions on what would make a nice trip?
    Maybe Ontario/Quebec has something to offer ?
    More to see in the US?

Share your thoughts! Thanks
    Szymon

Re: Suggestions for Summer Touring Trip

Cabot trail is a nice trip

Check out Black Hills National Forest in South Dakota. It'll take a few days to get there but if you zoom in using google maps you can really see the twisty roads(rte 16 and 87)along with Mt. Rushmore if interested. Rapid City is close by as well as Sturgis for accommodations.
    Last edited by Fallinganvil; 03-26-2010 at 01:09 PM.
    08 gl1800

James Bay Hydro Road to Raddison QC......

http://www.jamesbayroad.com/
    " I don't want a pickle, I'd rather just ride on my motorcycle."

Quote Originally Posted by gwelfmike View Post
    James Bay Hydro Road to Raddison QC......

http://www.jamesbayroad.com/
    Hmm. This looks interesting. Might be a good chance to explore our own back yard.
    Szymon

Quote Originally Posted by Pt_Frost View Post
    Hmm. This looks interesting. Might be a good chance to explore our own back yard.

actually it does look nice...

Boothbay Harbour run through Lake Placid, Lake George, etc. Up to Bar Harbour and ferry across to Nova Scotia. Up to Cabot trail and back home through Mt. Tremblant & Ottawa (so your last memory is not 8 hours on the 401). Depending on time of year, the lobsters in late june are still pretty small so later is better. Also if taking the interior northern road through New Brunswick make sure of eye/bug protection as the black flies will carry you away anything earlier than late july.
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

Here is a link to an AWESOME motorcycle touring magazine, RoadRunner. Fantastic trips and touring ideas with lots of useful info on road conditions, sights to see, lodging, weather, etc etc. Check it out. I've had a subscription for years and it is the only mag I renew. Personally if I had the time this summer, the Gaspe trip linked below would be near or on the top of my list of rides to do. Unfortunately we have a 1yr old pup and its hard to find a week long sitter, so I'm kind of limited to day trips and weekenders. Which kind of works out okay as weekenders are about all the old check book can handle these days!

http://www.roadrunner.travel/

http://www.roadrunner.travel/article-6200.php
    http://www.roadrunner.travel/article-6391.php
    http://www.roadrunner.travel/article-6189.php

Hope this helps.
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

In May I'm going to the Cabot Trail, by Way of the Gaspe Penninsula, and then hitting the Isle de Madeline on the way home via PEI. It will be about 8-9 days. I did the Cabot trail last year, but I'm really hyped about Gaspe and the IDM. I love French Canada.

I'm also planning to do the North Shore route of Lake Superior. Crazy stuff up that way as well.
    Current bike - 2008 Vulcan 900c

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    Here is a link to an AWESOME motorcycle touring magazine, RoadRunner. Fantastic trips and touring ideas with lots of useful info on road conditions, sights to see, lodging, weather, etc etc. Check it out. I've had a subscription for years and it is the only mag I renew. Personally if I had the time this summer, the Gaspe trip linked below would be near or on the top of my list of rides to do. Unfortunately we have a 1yr old pup and its hard to find a week long sitter, so I'm kind of limited to day trips and weekenders. Which kind of works out okay as weekenders are about all the old check book can handle these days!

http://www.roadrunner.travel/

http://www.roadrunner.travel/article-6200.php
    http://www.roadrunner.travel/article-6391.php
    http://www.roadrunner.travel/article-6189.php

Hope this helps.
    Hey , cool!! I didn't know about this magazine.
    Regarding the Gaspe trip, I've done it in a car, it really is beautiful. The whole peninsula is nice. My girlfriend's parent's live near Gaspe, so I go there regularly, but never done it on the bike. I guess the one thing that's been keeping me from going there by myself (without the French speaking girlfriend) is my own lack of French. And some of these parts , English can be hard to come by.
    Szymon

Road Runner is IMO the BEST motorcycle publication out there. You won't find hp shoot outs or head to head comparisons of the latest litre ss bikes, you won't find any crazy $100,000 custom build ups or tattoo artists in there either. What you will find is 4-5 really well written articles about traveling on motorcycles. Most are located in the US, and there is usually one international ride in each magazine. They do review bikes, but from the perspective of how they will perform for touring. They are open to all types of bikes and review everything from Suzuki Hyabusas to Victory Kingpins, to Honda Rebel 250's and even Scooters too. They cover bikes from all styles, brands and price points. The tours are very informative as to what the riding is like, interesting sights to see, history of the region, lodging and food. They do tend to stay in higher end hotels and B&B's but I'm sure that they get the room for free if they do a write up on them, so hey why not. I also really like that they don't eat at chain restaurants on the tours, electing instead to seek out locally owned, one of a kind type restaurants.

They also do a great job of reviewing motorcycle clothing and accessories that will aid in touring and they have a small section in the front for news in the world of motorcycling.

If you've never read an issue I would urge you to pick it up. It is a bi-monthly publication. It isn't cheap, but it is the only bike magazine I've ever had that was WORTH the price and I continue to renew my subscription year after year.

I do agree with you it is a beautiful well written mag,and is the best out there, but it is geared to the American market.
    Theres very little in the way of Canadian routes and rides.
    If the magazine had a section devoted to Canadian riders I would for sure get a subscription.

It would take more than 500km per day, but I'd throw in "West" as a general direction. Colorado, Wyoming, these areas...

From TN/WV/NC have you covered most areas, or just the main attractions, like BRP, 129, etc? There are tons and tons of beautiful roads down there.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Quote Originally Posted by macrider View Post
    I do agree with you it is a beautiful well written mag,and is the best out there, but it is geared to the American market.
    Theres very little in the way of Canadian routes and rides.
    If the magazine had a section devoted to Canadian riders I would for sure get a subscription.

I agree with you that it would be nice to have a Canadian version of the mag, unfortunately we just don't have the population base/rider numbers to support a magazine like that. There are states that have almost as many people in them as our whole country does and there are also states where riding 12 months a year is an option. Hard to do make a mag like that work in Canada due to the shortened riding season and way less riders.

Road Runner is a great magazine. I too wish it had a Canadian section but at least it has some Canadian content from time to time. Unlike most other US publication that have none.
    VN9008CF - Candy Lime Green.

We should start our own magazine make it Canadian with a section of american riding. you dont need an issue for every month. Maybe 3 or 4 a year.

I'm sure we could fill up that much content.

It sure sounds cool
    If Your Not FIRST Your LAST!!
    2000 Suzuki GS500E

I'm heading to Yellowstone at the end of July for about 12 days. The route will be circuitous, taking in the very best canyon riding has to offer in the South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado (see canyonchasers.net for more details on the delights that the area has to offer).

Oomis - "It's a brilliant character bike. It won't be the fastest bike on the street, nor the lightest, nor the best handling, but with pipes it'll sound like God's coming to dinner and he doesn't like what's on the table."

Quote Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
    I'm heading to Yellowstone at the end of July for about 12 days. The route will be circuitous, taking in the very best canyon riding has to offer in the South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado (see canyonchasers.net for more details on the delights that the area has to offer).
    Can you please post your route? I'm looking at doing something similar before the year is up.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Quote Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
    Thanks for the canyonchasers web site. I'm heading to Spearfish SD July 9 - 12 for a Honda ST gathering and will probably head to Yellowstone for a couple of days after that. Can't wait to see the beautiful scenery.
    08 gl1800

Not nearly the distances you are talkingabout but Western NY, Finger Lakes. THere are state parks near most of the lakes. My suggestion would be to camp at the end of one lake, then ride around 2-3 lakes per day, then move camp every couple days to a new lake/state park and explore a couple other finger lakes. This is also a wine region so you can ride a leisurely pace and stop and the wineries for tastings and lunches.
    You can't fix stupid