Need Insurance - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Insurance

Re: Need Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by short stop View Post
    Meh, we shouldn't continue to waste our breath. People make up their minds and don't listen to advice when it's not what they wanted to hear.
    He's not obligated to follow our advice but imo we are obligated to give it when asked...then there can't be a "OMG, I didn't know!!!111!!" situation as he was clearly warned by pretty much everyone =)

Proud owner of a 2001 Kawi 250 (low side count: 3)
    UWaterloo '13-14 - Fin. Analysis, Com. Sci. (SE) Double
    (don't hate on the sig...ye have been warned...)

Thanks again. I have a lot to think about. Its not a waste of your time as i am learning. I think ill have to listen and give the bike to my dad. I might ride it once or twice but i don't like taking the risk.

Thanks again, all of you. i do appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo_06 View Post
    Thanks again. I have a lot to think about. Its not a waste of your time as i am learning. I think ill have to listen and give the bike to my dad. I might ride it once or twice but i don't like taking the risk.

You still don't understand? If you are in the household and might right the bike THE INSURANCE WILL STILL BE $5000.

No worries, it shows some level of maturity that you're starting to think this through.

Having said that, even if your dad insures that bike and you live in the same household (with an M2), your dad will likely be paying a stupid amount to insure that thing. Are you sure he'll be OK with that?

TorontoBoy had some good advice - don't insure it and use the saved $$ to buy something else and ride in the meantime. Or sell the bike and save even more money and ride something more insurance friendly.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    You still don't understand? If you are in the household and might right the bike THE INSURANCE WILL STILL BE $5000.
    I think you're allowed to be an occasional rider...technically...especially if his dad will ride the bike too...as long as his riding is only a small portion of the total.

Proud owner of a 2001 Kawi 250 (low side count: 3)
    UWaterloo '13-14 - Fin. Analysis, Com. Sci. (SE) Double
    (don't hate on the sig...ye have been warned...)

Quote Originally Posted by RLapin View Post
    I think you're allowed to be an occasional rider...technically...especially if his dad will ride the bike too...as long as his riding is only a small portion of the total.
    I'm going by Vifferfun's last post. Seeing as he actually works with the insurance industry, I'm going by his word. If the OP has a different experience with his dad's insurance, then bonus. Either way, he runs the risk of insurance fraud if he rides that bike any more than an 'occasional' driver would, which I assume is set out by the insurance company.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Maybe your Dad can read this thread, just to give him some ideas as to his potential financial responsibility?

No doubt the decision is yours but you asked for help and we gladly accepted to help you. No one here wants you to splat. If there are better options we will provide them. We're not here to kick you in the butt for our pleasure. We've all been newbies.

Quote Originally Posted by short stop View Post
    I'm going by Vifferfun's last post. Seeing as he actually works with the insurance industry, I'm going by his word. If the OP has a different experience with his dad's insurance, then bonus. Either way, he runs the risk of insurance fraud if he rides that bike any more than an 'occasional' driver would, which I assume is set out by the insurance company.
    Most companies will automatically assign the highest-rated operator in the household as the principal operator. If the owner doesn't like it, then they can have the high-risk operator sign and OPCF28a exclusion form (meaning that the high-risk operator cannot operate the vehicle under any circumstances).
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

I am going to call some companies and see what happens.
    I most probably am going to sell it or store it for a year and may be insure it next year. I need to speak to my dad and see what he says. Money is an issue and it seems to me that i will not be riding that bike this year.

Thanks again, all of you

5k wow...

I thought i was overpaying my first year when I paid 1k
    Sell the bike and buy something insurance friendly... even an old bike will go fast enough to get you in trouble.
    x

Maybe he's thinking of being a hidden operator?

Alright guys so Insurance for the bike is 3000 and insurance for the car is 1200, my insurance company gave me a good deal where car is under my dad with me occasional driver and bike is under mine with dad as occasional driver = 4000 for the whole year. YEAH YEAH, dad is gonna split it half way so im gonna pay 2000 and he is gonna pay the rest, i guess i got a good deal

Alright guys so Insurance for the bike is 3000 and insurance for the car is 1200, my insurance company gave me a good deal where car is under my dad with me occasional driver and bike is under mine with dad as occasional driver = 4000 for the whole year. YEAH YEAH, dad is gonna split it half way so im gonna pay 2000 and he is gonna pay the rest, i guess i got a good deal
    It's surprising that they would list your Dad as the principal operator of your car, but at least you did your part in being honest with the insurer.

Still, if I were you, I would be parking/selling the bike and getting something cheaper until your risk profile comes down a bit. You are still young, and unless money is no obstacle, these are funds that could be directed towards many other important life needs.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Yeti View Post
    I doubt you've had a G2/G for 4 years to qualify for Statefarm... so bend over... this is going to hurt. A 19 year-old with a SS is not cheap.
    Did they change the rules again?

I had my G for a week B4 I went to them for INS. They just asked if I had more than X number of years exp. as a CDN driver which I did but they wanted proof and made my get I think an abstract. This was last year.

Hey im 19, just got my m1 and going to get my m2 before insuring my bike.
    I was bought a Honda cbr 125 RR so i was wondering how much insurance i would be expected to pay?

Quote Originally Posted by mtownracer View Post
    I was bought a Honda cbr 125 RR so i was wondering how much insurance i would be expected to pay?
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=56019
    Call him.

wow I don't know how you pulled that off Rambo, but that's an awesome deal
    Have fun and ride safe my friend
    Work to Ride & Ride to Work
    2007 GS500F

Quote Originally Posted by mtownracer View Post
    2 words - Insurance Broker
    Work to Ride & Ride to Work
    2007 GS500F