Need Insurance - But I have 3 tickets

Thread: Need Insurance - But I have 3 tickets

Need Insurance - But I have 3 tickets

Hello All,

State Farm won't insure me because I have 3 traffic tickets on my record. The date of offense for all three are over 3 years ago but date of conviction is in 2009. Can anyone suggest any other options or insurance companies that will insure me? TD MM will insure me but they're asking for 3500$/year.
    PLEASE HELP!!!!

Re: Need Insurance - But I have 3 tickets

Good luck, I'm assuming you're only referring for insurance for your bike. Those tickts wont fall off until 2012.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lehal548 View Post
    Hello All,

State Farm won't insure me because I have 3 traffic tickets on my record. The date of offense for all three are over 3 years ago but date of conviction is in 2009. Can anyone suggest any other options or insurance companies that will insure me? TD MM will insure me but they're asking for 3500$/year.
    PLEASE HELP!!!!
    I was in a similar situation a couple of years back. I only had to wait 1 year for the 3rd ticket to fall off though... I limited my riding that year and rode without insurance. I'm not suggesting you do this, but unless you're willing to drop at least $3k for the year, there might not be many other options.

Hello All,

PLEASE HELP!!!!
    What type of bike do you ride? Depending on what you ride you still may have some options, like Jevco. You would need to speak to a broker and see what other markets are out there for you, but without furthur information there is no acurate way of knowing if 3K a year is a good price for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chantie View Post
    I was in a similar situation a couple of years back. I only had to wait 1 year for the 3rd ticket to fall off though... I limited my riding that year and rode without insurance. I'm not suggesting you do this, but unless you're willing to drop at least $3k for the year, there might not be many other options.
    There are ALWAYS other options! And if you cannot afford insurance then DONT RIDE/DRIVE. Forget about the fine you'll get from the police, OR the fact that no standard market would insure you for the next 3 years. No matter how careful you are, if something were to happen your and someone was to sue you, what would you do? Its a very risky road, but glad nothing happened.
    Hytham Bayoumi
    Client Executive
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

Direct: 416-908-1865
    hbayoumi@pottruffsmith.com

Hello All,

PLEASE HELP!!!!
    Is this a SuperSport or a Cruiser?
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by Hytham Bayoumi View Post
    What type of bike do you ride? Depending on what you ride you still may have some options, like Jevco. You would need to speak to a broker and see what other markets are out there for you, but without furthur information there is no acurate way of knowing if 3K a year is a good price for you.

There are ALWAYS other options! And if you cannot afford insurance then DONT RIDE/DRIVE. Forget about the fine you'll get from the police, OR the fact that no standard market would insure you for the next 3 years. No matter how careful you are, if something were to happen your and someone was to sue you, what would you do? Its a very risky road, but glad nothing happened.
    You're 100% right and I was aware of the consequences. In no way do I recommend doing so but hey, that's what I did, and I'm also glad nothing happened either. Seriously, I couldn't imagine going the entire summer without riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Chantie View Post
    You're 100% right and I was aware of the consequences. In no way do I recommend doing so but hey, that's what I did, and I'm also glad nothing happened either. Seriously, I couldn't imagine going the entire summer without riding.
    This is very short sighted. While you can't imagine not riding this summer. Can you imaine not being entitled to you entire pay cheque ever again? Never owning a house or other capital asset? These are the risks you run when you're on the road uninsured. If someone ends up suing you, can you afford to defend yourself? And then pay whatever amount the judge orders?

Isn't the last option Facility?

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post
    This is very short sighted. While you can't imagine not riding this summer. Can you imaine not being entitled to you entire pay cheque ever again? Never owning a house or other capital asset? These are the risks you run when you're on the road uninsured. If someone ends up suing you, can you afford to defend yourself? And then pay whatever amount the judge orders?

he could always go bankrupt and include and judgements. Discharged in 9 months or 21 if he has surplus income.

all this is just theoretical unless he/she gets caught which I assume most uninsured do knowing the consequences they face.

Quote Originally Posted by evang View Post
    he could always go bankrupt and include and judgements. Discharged in 9 months or 21 if he has surplus income.

Thanks for all the replies so far! I would never ride without insure. I am willing to pay a little more and ride stress free. I rode for 2 seasons and never got a ticket on the bike. All my tickets are while driving. So in a way I think I am safer while riding...lol...
    I haven't had an offence in three years. I kept delaying the court dates and tried to stay without conviction for as long as I could. On ministry of transportations website it says the ticket stays on your record for 2 years from the date of offence. However, the insurance companies consider 3 years from date of conviction. So I am good with ministry of transportation just not with the insurance guys. I learnt my lesson and been driving safely without any tickets.
    The bike is 2001 Suzuki GSXR600.
    So the bottom line is I don't want to ride without insurance. I understand my mistake and am willing to pay a little more and bring over my car and house insurance from current insurer to whichever insurer is willing to insure me. What are the options?
    Last edited by lehal548; 03-25-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Feel free to PM me any contacts of brokers that you may have used if/when you were in my situation.

I was in a similar situation.

3 minor tickets.
    I was 25.

Bought a 2000 kawasaki zx6r and call an insurance broker and gave me a Facility insurance. for $2000 dollars for the whole year.

Thanks for all the replies so far! I would never ride without insure. I am willing to pay a little more and ride stress free. I rode for 2 seasons and never got a ticket on the bike. All my tickets are while driving. So in a way I think I am safer while riding...lol...
    I haven't had an offence in three years. I kept delaying the court dates and tried to stay without conviction for as long as I could. On ministry of transportations website it says the ticket stays on your record for 2 years from the date of offence. However, the insurance companies consider 3 years from date of conviction. So I am good with ministry of transportation just not with the insurance guys. I learnt my lesson and been driving safely without any tickets.
    The bike is 2001 Suzuki GSXR600.
    So the bottom line is I don't want to ride without insurance. I understand my mistake and am willing to pay a little more and bring over my car and house insurance from current insurer to whichever insurer is willing to insure me. What are the options?
    I think you misread the MTO website. Convictions are on your record for 3.

I think you misread the MTO website. Convictions are on your record for 3.
    I just double checked and it says "Demerit points stay on your record for two years from the offence date."

MTO Site: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan.../demerit.shtml

It's the insurance companies that make up their own rules to charge people more. Pretty Simple.

I thought companies were bound by law to insure whoever needs it. Even though they might ask you to pay 10M$ monthly.

Quote Originally Posted by ariesmars View Post
    I thought companies were bound by law to insure whoever needs it. Even though they might ask you to pay 10M$ monthly.
    It's true. The insurance obudsman "assigned" me an insurance company. Royal and Sun Facility. Was paying $925/mo

In reguards to the OP. Please send Katherine a PM on here and ask her for a quote. Remember to tell her you DO NOT want life insurance and the ONLY VEHICLE YOU EVER INTEND ON INSURING WITH HER IS YOUR BIKE.

Let me know how you make out.

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

I just double checked and it says "Demerit points stay on your record for two years from the offence date."

MTO Site: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan.../demerit.shtml

It's the insurance companies that make up their own rules to charge people more. Pretty Simple.
    Exactly. Convictions and Demerit points are not the same thing.

The insurance companies do not make up their own rules to "charge people more..." Some peoples actions and driving records are indicative of a habitual disregard for the rules of the road.