Trailer Setup Ideas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Setup Ideas

Trailer Setup Ideas

I figured it would be a good thread to start. We can all share ideas and tops on what we've done to customize our trailers and tailor them to our needs.

I've just started setting mine up. At 5x8 it is somewhat small so i have to make the best of what little room i've got. I just finished setting up the fold-a-bed tonight and it turned out pretty well. I genuinely dislike air mattresses, so i prefer to use my futon mattress. It is a bit bulky but i likes it.

The pictures are fairly self explanatory. The next steps are to set up some hangers on the left wall for my stands and some sort of tire rack system for two spare sets of rims/tires.

Re: Trailer Setup Ideas

Whoa! Hope you don't impale yourself on those bed legs. Yikes!

Otherwise it's looking good.

You unscrew them from the pipe flanges when the bed is not in use.

Wood paneling is gangster!

A double bed? Shouldn't you be sleeping at night after a hard day on the track?? This isn't meant to be rude, cos I dont know your body type, but those middle hinges will be doing a lot of work if there is someone on both sides of the bed. And for ventilation, saving weight etc is it worth drilling a crap load of holes in the wooden bed base?

I'm looking to put up some 2 x 4 across the width of the trailer high enough up to fit the bike under but deep enough to hold some totes. Hopefully get 4 totes across the trailer for tools, boots, helmet, warmers etc etc. Taking pictures is a funky idea. When I start I'll do likewise, although I say that at the start of every project.
    Last edited by Fiery254; 03-23-2010 at 09:35 PM.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Wood paneling is gangster!

ive always wanted wood paneling on my truck...something like this....

Here's My trailer. It's a home made job, 5x10, but only about 4'6" tall for the box, but it has a lift up roof so it doesn't push as much air going down the road.

In order to fit both of my bikes in there, I put the street bike in facing forward on the right side, then I back the dirt bike in since I can lift it, backwards into the other chock.

And up front, I have a work bench I made with all my tools on it, and storage underneath for my camping and riding gear... Oh, and can't forget the fishing poles and tackle box! It's a mess after race weekends, Friday night I clean it back up just to mess it up again!

Heres how I sleep at the track, I have an air mattress that fills up the bed, it's more comfortable than how I usually get to sleep outside!

if you dont mind sorting through 32 pages there are some good ideas here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=355022

I stand up a futon mattress on the side wall and when it's time for bed, I just let it fall. low tech.

I'm in the midst of setting up my trailer to run the Dunlop tire service at SOAR events. The inside of my trailer is going to need 110v hydro, so, I had flash of genius. Rather than running an extension from my genny in through the door, I bought a sealed male block heater socket from my local heavy truck parts place. Now I just plug the trailer in, rather than extensions all over the place.

It cost a fortune, but works and looks slick. What the hell, we motorcyclists aren't known for our sound financial decisions!
    DUNLOP GP-A Trackday Special !! 219.99$ a set!

Quote Originally Posted by Recidivist View Post
    It cost a fortune, but works and looks slick. What the hell, we motorcyclists aren't known for our sound financial decisions!
    I'm not sure exactly what it is you're talking about. We did something like that in our trailer, although it was just a simple double sided trailer plug thing, I don't think it cost more then 20 bucks?

Tim, those lights in a hose type patio lights work awesome for lighting up the inside of the trailer. They don't heat up much and are easy to snake around and secure.

We also put up that silver water heater insulation up on the inside of the roof. It has helped to keep things cooler inside the trailer during the hot sunny days. Plus some trailer vents on the sides for added air flow.

Your bed idea is cool, but are you also planning on lugging a regular mattress for that? Where's that gonna go?
    BUY MY BIKE!
    2007 Honda CRF 150R Big Wheel Supermoto with dirt wheels, $3600

Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt. - William Shakespare

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what it is you're talking about. We did something like that in our trailer, although it was just a simple double sided trailer plug thing, I don't think it cost more then 20 bucks?

Tim, those lights in a hose type patio lights work awesome for lighting up the inside of the trailer. They don't heat up much and are easy to snake around and secure.

We also put up that silver water heater insulation up on the inside of the roof. It has helped to keep things cooler inside the trailer during the hot sunny days. Plus some trailer vents on the sides for added air flow.

Your bed idea is cool, but are you also planning on lugging a regular mattress for that? Where's that gonna go?
    I've thought about that plug too, i think it's a good idea then i can just use a power bar inside the trailer for all my stuffs. Rope light is on my to-do list too, two 10' lenths should run around the ceiling fine.

I use a futon mattress. Folded in half it doesnt take up that much space and when i have the seats folded down in my Edge i have ample cargo room in there.

I have the two wall vents near the top and a fan and a heater. If i keep this trailer and end up doing some racing down south i may invest in a roof top AC unit.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    I've thought about that plug too, i think it's a good idea then i can just use a power bar inside the trailer for all my stuffs.
    Plus you can run your heater at night without having the door cracked open to allow the cord in..together with any bugs and cold air
    BUY MY BIKE!
    2007 Honda CRF 150R Big Wheel Supermoto with dirt wheels, $3600

Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt. - William Shakespare

I've got an intelli-power inverter/converter/charger setup with 2 Deep Cycle RV batteries.

This allows 120v AC power and 12v dc power at the same time using batteries only, generator power or traditional 120v plug in.

lighting is done from the 12v distribution panel and AC is done via hardwired plugs connected to the 4000w inverter.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    I've got an intelli-power inverter/converter/charger setup with 2 Deep Cycle RV batteries.

This allows 120v AC power and 12v dc power at the same time using batteries only, generator power or traditional 120v plug in.

lighting is done from the 12v distribution panel and AC is done via hardwired plugs connected to the 4000w inverter.
    Do you have any pics of your set up? I am looking at buying a trailer very soon and was wondering how to best set up the electrical, both 110V and 12V. Is a breaker panel really required or should I just get an inlet plug for a generator? Ideally I'd like to hook up 2 deep cycle batteries in hopes it would have enough power to keep a small 4 cubic foot fridge running for a couple of days at the track. Its really to bad none of the tracks around here, especially the "nicer" ones dont have electrical outlets.

Bass Pro Shops sell a "kingsized" cot - cot about the width of a single bed. Stores up to about the size of a 3 man tent bag. The cot material can get cold underneath but I just bring a wool blanket to sleep on now. One chilly (-1 degrees) night last year made me insulate from the bottom up.

This year I need to have a couple of vents cut in, and want to weld a gas carrier and a bicycle carrier onto the tongue. Maybe a bit of shelving but it is only a 5X8. Fits two bikes snugly and then you have to get iventive about packing all the rest of the stuff. One bike it is optimal, two is pushing it.

I'd love to somehow attach an awning, but that may would definately break the trailer budget. Next year maybe.

I have rows and rows of e-track. That way you can cinch just about anything to the walls or floor you want. They run the length of the trailer on both walls and also the floor. I suspend a futon from the ceiling braces for camping.

Before the e-track went on the walls:

It will fit four (even five, if you're inventive) bikes.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

We Slept on the blow up mattress in our 6x12 trailer for 2 seasons. Last season we had the playpen for the little one and our large dog at some rounds.

We broke down and got a RV. Picked it up yesterday.

Pro # 175

Thanks to my Sponsors: Racer5, SpeedWorx, SpeedGear, Kawasaki Canada,
    Uber-Racing, Pirelli/ Orion Motorsports, Kahuna Powersports, Armour Bodies, WoodCraft, MotoVan, Vortex, TechSpec, Sidi & PitBull

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KR1 View Post
    We Slept on the blow up mattress in our 6x12 trailer for 2 seasons. Last season we had the playpen for the little one and our large dog at some rounds.

We broke down and got a RV. Picked it up yesterday.

Nice rolling in style and luxury! Does that one have space to carry the bike too?