did this cop cause the lowside? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: did this cop cause the lowside?

Re: did this cop cause the lowside?

the cam guy most likely doesn't know the biker. people crash there all the time so i think if you live there and are bored you can just go there and film crashes.

Ride for the unexpected, biker stood it up, his fault. Deer in the headlight, or biker in the headlight syndrome.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    The speed at which the cop puts it into drive to approach seems rather like it was expected by his position there. He wasn't surprised at all by the rider low siding.
    Look at the tailights and reverse lights on the cruiser.

The brake lights were on right from the first time you see the car in frame and before the bike arrives. The brake lights go out, but reverse lights do not flash on and off as they would if the cop was shifting from Park through reverse and on to Drive.

My bet is that the cop was sitting there foot on brake car already in gear. That could mean that he was stopped momentarily to deal with other matters, and not necessarily to wait for speeding traffic. It's not obvious from the video.

Re your comment about parking on a straight - From what is visible on the video, there doesn't seem to be much shoulder for parking except on the curves.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    I'd agree as well, that yes, the cop caused it, by being in a position to surprise a rider mid corner. I understand why the cop was there, to catch riders "in the act".

A bad choice by the cop though, as it causes a panic situation to riders and drivers which are at or even slightly above the limit. Had the slide and fall happened 20 or so meters later, The rider possibly, and the bike definitely, would have collided with the cruiser. Then its more than a matter of a simple low side, but damage to public property, possibility of serious harm to the rider, and possible injury to the cop.

The police' presence would have been better served at the mid point of a straight section, where he could be visible to all drivers, that presence causing the speed limit to be better observed.

The cop's intentions were not to control the speed of traffic, but to catch people off guard and unawares. It is self serving for handing out tickets, but does less good to serve the public and is not as effective.
    The speed at which the cop puts it into drive to approach seems rather like it was expected by his position there. He wasn't surprised at all by the rider low siding.
    Semantics. Ultimately the rider caused it, but hitting the brakes. But, what was the trigger for the rider to take action which otherwise would not be needed?
    True, but I have found, that an officers intentions are often self serving.
    Further agreed.

FACE-****ING-PALM

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Look at the tailights and reverse lights on the cruiser.

The brake lights were on right from the first time you see the car in frame and before the bike arrives. The brake lights go out, but reverse lights do not flash on and off as they would if the cop was shifting from Park through reverse and on to Drive.
    Sharp eye.

Banned

Sharp eye.
    It's the magic of instant replay.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowNLow View Post
    FACE-****ING-PALM

what a lazy cop though lol, had to drive to the bike.
    FOR SALE:
    2003 Kawasaki Z1000 $5000
    plus TONS of bike parts..... www.masalma.com

Floats like a butterfly, & stings like a Z!

Quote Originally Posted by masalma View Post
    what a lazy cop though lol, had to drive to the bike.
    He put his car in position to control/block and accident scene.He is the "caution flag".Oh yah...it wasn't on a track.
    Riders fault.He fell off,his throttle,his brakes and his bars!
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

[QUOTE=turbodish;1207142]Look at the tailights and reverse lights on the cruiser. The brake lights were on right from the first time you see the car in frame and before the bike arrives. The brake lights go out, but reverse lights do not flash on and off as they would if the cop was shifting from Park through reverse and on to Drive. QUOTE]
    I may be missing it, but I don't see the reverse lights flash when the cop put it into park at the end....???

Quote Originally Posted by SBL View Post
    I may be missing it, but I don't see the reverse lights flash when the cop put it into park at the end....???
    Shaper eye.

Im thinking it was set up, that camera guy was GOOD excellent tracking of the bike, great zoom timing and smooth motion. as well as the cop sitting on the brakes, out of the crash zone waiting.

and if its real, the cop didnt cause the crash in anyway! what if that had been a normal car sitting there, the guy shouldnt get so spoked in a turn and dump the bike cause he sees a cop. he also didnt appear to moving that fast. he and the bike didnt slide very far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lips cb650 View Post
    Im thinking it was set up, that camera guy was GOOD excellent tracking of the bike, great zoom timing and smooth motion. as well as the cop sitting on the brakes, out of the crash zone waiting.

and if its real, the cop didnt cause the crash in anyway! what if that had been a normal car sitting there, the guy shouldnt get so spoked in a turn and dump the bike cause he sees a cop. he also didnt appear to moving that fast. he and the bike didnt slide very far.
    got your tinfoil hat on? that stretch of road is pretty famous for bikers, also notorious for crashes. on a sunny day if you are bored, grab your camcorder and hangout there, chances are you will catch people crashing.

Quote Originally Posted by NP6000 View Post
    Shaper eye.
    Rather than ask who caused the lowside, it would be more accurate to consider if you think it would have happened had the cop not been there. I say I don't think so. The rider was gauging his throttle and was riding through (not braking at all) and was under total control and wasn't too hot to get around there. But did brake a little at first momentarily, then panic braked at the sight of the cop.

I'm going to get in the running for sharpest eye.

You can see that the cop was in gear, brake lights on, and front wheels were already turned sharp to the left, way sharper than needed to continue in same direction, so was obviously/potentially ready to do a U turn to chase. The passenger window was down half way (driver window up on sunny side, A/C on, and drafting his cigarette smoke out pass window) so he heard the bike coming ahead of time and was ready.

It looks like they can sit there and peal them off the pavement all day long. His car position was totally negligent, in my opinion. There was room to park at the apex where both directions could stand a chance of seeing him while still in somewhat of a straight. You can clearly see that the shoulder even has an extended area 8' to the right of where he was parked, likely arranged that way by the local enforcement telling road works "we need a bit of extra shoulder right about here". At least they had it back so that where the majority of lowsides happen exactly where that one did, they aren't in the line of projection. I bet ALL riders freak and brake right at same spot.

I don't know about you CK, but I brake harder for a cop car on the side of the road than I do for just any random vehicle. And a deer gives me more room to maybe brake a little and veer around it. I've done it more than once. And I am aware I was also a bit lucky.
    But you can see the guy was throttling through, saw the cop, braked a bit (which caused a very slight stand-up) but then way too hard.

Or not. But it sure does have that suspicious aroma to the whole scene.

I like his "What have I done?" moment right when he gets up, and doesn't even turn around, yet.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold