How much do 3 demerit points for speeding effect insurance rates?

Thread: How much do 3 demerit points for speeding effect insurance rates?

How much do 3 demerit points for speeding effect insurance rates?

So the story is, my brother who is 38, went upnorth to Timmins. on the way he managed to get nabbed doing 116 km/h in a 90 zone(in his defence it was downhill..isn't it always..lol) So that is 26 km/h over the posted limit which is 3 demerit points. The fine with fees is set at $122. Since its too far for him to go to fight it, we called afew lawyers in the area and they ask for 400 plus no guarantee.

I was wondering, its his first ticket in the past 7 years since he's been driving. Him and his wife have 2 cars and 1 bike insured with Statefarm. All have full coverage. Is it worth paying the 400 plus other fees to the lawyer and take a chance and hopefully get no points off but still may be convicted for like going 15 over(which carries no demerit points) or just pay the $122 and lose the 3 points?

How much woudl it possibily effect his insurancec rates? Do they forgive one inferaction?? I do not want to call Statefarm since they may make the rate changes without him being convicted.

Any help is much appreciated!

Re: How much do 3 demerit points for speeding effect insurance rates?

3 demerits or 0 demerits, it's still a conviction. The 3 demerits don't matter unless he already racked up 6 in the last 2 years. Insurance companies look at convictions only and they're either treated as major (careless driving, street racing, drunk driving) or minor (just about everything else). Most companies will forgive a single conviction or at least not ding him too badly for having one. However if there is another one in the 3 year period after he gets convicted or gets into a collision where he gets even partially blamed, he'll get raped. Unfortunately I don't know any decent paralegals in Timmins who could help him fight the charge all the way.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Firestart is correct.

People often think its the demerit pts that matters the most, but its really that its conviction that matters to the insurance industry here.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Firestart is correct.

People often think its the demerit pts that matters the most, but its really that its conviction that matters to the insurance industry here.
    Yep. When the police tell you "it won't affect your insurance", it's not true. Points are an MTO issue and convictions are what the insurance industry looks at.

You could try hiring someone reliable in Timmins to just show up for you. Give them $100 to go to court on your day and hope the cop doesn't show. If you have representation, but no cop, the ticket disappears (the representative asks for the charge to be dropped because the police officer is not there to address your questions). If the cop shows, they take the plea (normally they offer you some lower speed just to get you to plead out). Net cost to you will likely be ~150 with a reduced ticket (no help on insurance) or ~100 and no ticket.

I don't know if you know anyone with spare time in Timmins, but it could be worth a shot.

The others are right on about the conviction, any conviction less than ~45-50 over (varies with insurance company) counts as a minor ticket in the eyes of insurance.

Thanks for all your help.

I have read the ticket and the court is located actually in Haileybury Ontario which is about 5-6 hours drive. Hopefully the court date falls on a nice warm day and maybe i can drive or ride out to face the ticket(or find someone locallly and pay them to show up).Make a road trip out of it

Thanks for the very helpful suggestions!

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by pakboy429 View Post
    Thanks for all your help.

I have read the ticket and the court is located actually in Haileybury Ontario which is about 5-6 hours drive. Hopefully the court date falls on a nice warm day and maybe i can drive or ride out to face the ticket(or find someone locallly and pay them to show up).Make a road trip out of it

Thanks for the very helpful suggestions!

Cheers.
    FYI, State Farm is one of the few insurers that goes really hard on you for your first minor conviction, because I think you lose a "conviction-free" discount, and also gain a conviction surcharge. I would contact an agent anonymously to see how much the premium would change.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Yep. When the police tell you "it won't affect your insurance", it's not true. Points are an MTO issue and convictions are what the insurance industry looks at.
    To Katherine's point, the next time an officer tells one of you that "it won't affect your insurance..." ask him for it in writing.

My guess is that you won't get it.
    Twitter @Avi_Singh_
    www.avisingh.com