Up the enscarpment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Up the enscarpment.

Up the enscarpment.

Just wondering if anyone here that is very familiar with the Hamilton area can help me out?
    I am trying to organize a group ride and need some info.
    Its hard to tell from a google map, but what is the most scenic and nicest road up the enscarpment to eventually get onto Ridge road south towards Niagara?
    I remember years ago stopping at a lookout where you could see a beautiful veiw of the lake with Hamilton below
    I will probably be going up from Main street or King street in downtown Hamilton. Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by macrider; 03-21-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Re: Up the enscarpment.

Ridge road is the first left (if your heading south) at the top of Centennial parkway , there's a pull off right at the Huge cross that's up there as well as a few look out points as you head down towards Niagara.

You can also get up to ridge road from Fruitland, Mcneilly, or fifty rd.

Quote Originally Posted by macrider View Post
    Just wondering if anyone here that is very familiar with the Hamilton area can help me out?
    I am trying to organize a group ride and need some info.
    Its hard to tell from a google map, but what is the most scenic and nicest road up the enscarpment to eventually get onto Ridge road south towards Niagara?
    I remember years ago stopping at a lookout where you could see a beautiful veiw of the lake with Hamilton below
    I will probably be going up from Main street or King street in downtown Hamilton. Thanks for any info.

Check out this thread. It's Hamilton/Stoney Creek and surrounding area riders. These guys know the nice routes.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=109931
    FireFitzy
    DNR Apparel - www.dnrapparel.ca

Thanks guys for your help, is New Mountain road from King St West a nice twisty scenic road to go up?

Thanks guys for your help, is New Mountain road from King St West a nice twisty scenic road to go up?
    yes, for the 30 sec it lasts.

Do you have a recommendation Reciprocity? from main or King St in downtown Hamilton?

Your best bet is up Centennial, then first left onto Ridge. I wouldn't bother with New Mountain.

The only nice mountain accesses are Fifty rd, mcneilly hill, and further along, Thirty Rd in Beamsville.

GTA-M. Your best bang for the entertainment buck.
    What feels better than banking a motorcycle over into a corner?

Quote Originally Posted by MotoStark View Post
    Your best bet is up Centennial, then first left onto Ridge. I wouldn't bother with New Mountain.

The only nice mountain accesses are Fifty rd, mcneilly hill, and further along, Thirty Rd in Beamsville.

I always get on at centennial and off at 30rd road then stay on hwy 8 through vineland straight into st kitts

MACRIDER,

I've done this ride numerous times. I would probably say about 30-35 times last summer, I live in Stoney Creek and can give you a hand in deciding your route if you want.

Send me a PM if you want.

If your doing an open group ride I wouldn't mind joining in as well.

would someone mind posting a route in google maps?

Living here forever, I've always taken the Kenilworth access for granted.
    Some buddies from out of town think it's amazing .
    Same with the Queenston Rd traffic circle, or "the chicane" as they refer to it as. (heading west)

Up the Kenilworth, and along the Mtn Brow to the link to Mud to 20 to Ridge would be my rec.

it IS amazing, Gary!!
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Same with the Queenston Rd traffic circle, or "the chicane" as they refer to it as. (heading west)

Up the Kenilworth, and along the Mtn Brow to the link to Mud to 20 to Ridge would be my rec.
    I'll give you the Kenilworth access to mountain brow, but the Queenstoon loop?? puh-leeeeze.

GTA-M. Your best bang for the entertainment buck.
    What feels better than banking a motorcycle over into a corner?

Quote Originally Posted by MotoStark View Post
    I'll give you the Kenilworth access to mountain brow, but the Queenstoon loop?? puh-leeeeze.

I know. But Bob, and others from outta town love it.
    I had never given it a thought, until he brought it up.
    I've lived here toooooo long.

Follow just about any road that is near the Niagara Escarpment and you'll be on great bike roads.All the way from Queenston to Tobermory,Manitoulin,and then down thru Michigan.My wife and I are Bruce Trail end to enders.Every time we hike the BT,i plan another ride.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

[QUOTE=Gary;1205885]Living here forever, I've always taken the Kenilworth access for granted.

Up the Kenilworth, and along the Mtn Brow to the link to Mud to 20 to Ridge would be my rec.[/QUOTe)

Gary this link from Mountain Brow to Mud is Stone Church Road East? that then becomes Paramount that connects to Mud?
    Sorry but its hard to tell from google maps because of all the interchanges on the hiway.
    Hope you can help. thanks.

[QUOTE=macrider;1206949]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post

Up the Kenilworth, and along the Mtn Brow to the link to Mud to 20 to Ridge would be my rec.[/QUOTe)

Gary this link from Mountain Brow to Mud is Stone Church Road East? that then becomes Paramount that connects to Mud?
    Sorry but its hard to tell from google maps because of all the interchanges on the hiway.
    Hope you can help. thanks.
    macrider:
    It's very confusing, and I live here. There is also plenty of new construction / roads and cutoffs, and it's possible that google hasn't updated it yet.

Ok - I'll try and direct you.
    If you make it to Mtn Brow Blvd - follow it eastbound.
    It winds around the escarpment, (about a 5 minute ride) literally feet from the edge at times. About 200 metres after Albion Falls, you MUST turn right (no choice).
    I think it's called Upper Mt Albion Rd. (I really should know, but I seldom pay attention)
    That leads to Stone Church Rd - go left. Or - If you see signs for "The Linc" or "Red Hill Expressway" take it (east bound). That will take you to the Mud St exit.
    If you stay on Stonechurch, it does become Paramount. You can follow it, but you'll need to make a left somewhere to get to Mud St.
    Either way will get you to Hwy #20 (Centennial Prky) and Mud St. From there, Ridge Rd is a short jaunt (2nd road on the right) north, from Mud St.

I'm probably the worse person on the planet for directions.
    Even with a GPS I get screwed up.
    If BlueVfr reads this (hopefully) he'll make you a google map off the top of his head - he's the best.

If I know when you're cruising through, it would be easier for me to show you the way - I'm always available - let me know.
    50+ yrs later, and I still don't know the names of the roads (duh) but I usually know where I'm going in the city though.

If you're coming in off the 403 (west end of the city), or the QEW (east end of the city), it's a big difference.

Thank you Gary, you've been really helpful.
    Upon closer looking at Google maps the very end of Mountain Brow turns up to become Pritchard road, this runs under the Red hills parkway to join up with Stone Church.
    I,ve finally got a nice route planned, thanks Gary and to everyone here who helped .

Thank you Gary, you've been really helpful.
    Upon closer looking at Google maps the very end of Mountain Brow turns up to become Pritchard road, this runs under the Red hills parkway to join up with Stone Church.
    I,ve finally got a nice route planned, thanks Gary and to everyone here who helped .
    Gahhhh - Pritchard...damnit - I should have known Upper Mt Albion is east of that......Other than Mtn Brow Blvd itself - that was all forest when I was a kid - it was our stomping grounds.
    I don't get out there much lately, and if I do, it's a blur
    You might be able to get on the Red Hill Exp from there, off Dartnall - if you can - go for it - northbound (or east) and take Mud St exit. If there's no traffic - it's a sweet ramp from the Red Hill Exp onto Mud.

If you have time, and you're into that sort of thing, check out Albion Falls. It runs good this time of yr, and you can take the steps to the bottom. There's a parking lot on the right hand side.
    (Hamilton has more waterfalls than any other city in the world - but don't tell anyone - it still stinks)

Thanks Gary!! now I am intrigued! We love waterfalls!
    This parking lot to the Albion Falls is on the right hand side off of what street?
    Again google map shows the river and what appears to be a dam or manmade concrete waterfall, but its hard to see where the actual falls are. Thanks again for any info