if you guys are usually out, where do you park?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: if you guys are usually out, where do you park?

if you guys are usually out, where do you park?

hey guys,
    a new rider here!

just wondering, if you guys were going shopping or just anywhere else, where do you guys usually park? near the bike stands? on an island? or just at a normal car parking spot? whats really legal?

just out of curiosity

thanks!

Re: if you guys are usually out, where do you park?

Only a normal spot is legal. We usually park 2 bikes along the center of the spot (less of a chance of them getting knocked over by the door) or if you're riding solo, take the very center of the spot. Make sure your alarm is plugged in and activated so parents don't let their kids play with your bike.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

I park in a normal spot, but normally back in and leave the nose of the bike even with the rear of the cars next to me. If you park at the other end of a spot you risk some assclown whipping into what he thought was an empty spot only to run over your bike.

BTW it's early, but do yourself a favour and go to home depot and get a few round electrical box covers. There only $1 each but they'll stop your sidestand from digging into the pavement on a hot day and possibly your bike falling over.

you can order something like this
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/parking-puck/
    or go the cheap route with the box cover, I prefer the box cover myself.

good tips..

also, if you have a centre stand, thats a good one to use

if you are in an area on a hot day where you don't have anything to put under your stand find a pop can and cut out the bottom and flatten it. It's fits and works perfect

If you drink concentrated juice/ice tea, the tops are also pretty good (as I learned from Lisa yesterday). An easier thing to do with a pop can is to put it down on the ground and stomp on it. Some of us don't ride with tin-snips
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by DYSEKT View Post
    hey guys,
    a new rider here!

just wondering, if you guys were going shopping or just anywhere else, where do you guys usually park? near the bike stands? on an island? or just at a normal car parking spot? whats really legal?

just out of curiosity

thanks!
    In a regular parking spot.
    If parking on the street (Free for Bikes in Toronto), park in the middle of the spot at an angle, not more than sixty (60) degrees to the curb and at least three (3) metres or 9.8424 feet away from a Fire Hydrant.

http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=da3b529a-9738-4b2d-bdcf-644fd2678934
    Last edited by IXFe; 03-24-2010 at 01:57 PM.

I wouldn't take my bike out for shopping. But to answer your question, you park in a regular parking spot, just like a car. I park my bike 45 degrees in the spot.
    David L.
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    1995 Honda CBR900RR (SOLD)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 (SOLD)
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by IXFe View Post
    In a regular parking spot.
    If parking on the street (Free for Bikes in Toronto), park in the middle of the spot at an angle, not more than sixty (60) degrees to the curb and at least three (3) metres or 9.8424 feet away from a Fire Hydrant.
    It's free to park a motorcycle on the streets of Toronto (assuming it's not in a no parking zone)? Does this include downtown Toronto? Is there a website that explicitly states this (not that I don't believe you, I'm just crazy like that).

This is awesome. Here I was fretting about the cost of parking on the street.

I usually park up on the curb near bike racks. Though I was told once by a passing cop that he was considering giving me a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post
    It's free to park a motorcycle on the streets of Toronto (assuming it's not in a no parking zone)? Does this include downtown Toronto? Is there a website that explicitly states this (not that I don't believe you, I'm just crazy like that).

Parking on the street in Toronto (even downtown) is free for bikes but you still must obey the time limits and no parking signs.

Also there is a certain "degree" that you bike needs to be at when parked. Someone here will explain it better.

Green P lots , and private lots we still have to pay for.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post

Here you go: http://www.ipopper.net/petition/atta...ceofMotion.pdf

To the OP, I try to avoid taking my bike to malls or crowded parking areas. If I ever do, I try to find a parking spot that is in direct view of an entrance or a security camera (atleast). Try not to park in a spot where your bike will be hidden between cars (doesn't take long for someone to toss it into a van).

AND BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT the President, Toronto Parking Authority, be
    requested to prepare a report that would detail how the Authority could designate a small area for
    free scooter and motorcycle parking at all of its indoor and outdoor ‘Green P’ lots;
    When is this gonna happen?
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
    No kidding.

And be it further resolved that that motion was in 2005!

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Only a normal spot is legal.
    I've NEVER parked in a "normal" spot and haven't got a ticket yet. Even the courthouse at Eglinton and Black Creek I park my bike by the front doors where it says "no bicycle parking". Does THIS look like a bicycle? LOL!

The disadvantage of not parking it in a normal spot is that more people tend to sit on it or click the adjusters on your Pazzo's.

-Jamie M.
    Last edited by toysareforboys; 03-24-2010 at 07:14 PM.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Good story, but looks like their trying to get some free parking in the Green P lots, but has that been approved yet? And how will we know?

As a consolation prize for the two-wheeler set, Ootes is hopeful that city-owned Green P parking lots will set aside certain areas for free scooter and motorcycle parking. City staff is currently studying the viability of allowing limited free parking at Green P lots, and the initiative may be approved as early as next spring.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/story.ht...#ixzz0kQaPO3Eo
    I'm going downtown for a seminar at a hotel this weekend, and I'm currently looking for places to park. There aren't really many places to park on the street nearby (as I can see from Street View), and on weekends the streets aren't exactly packed with parking, leaving my bike susceptible to damage. There are a few Green P lots nearby... should I just park in the Green P lots?

Anyone had any luck with parking in the front area of Hotels? I figure I can probably squeeze the bike between two of the bollards and be out of everyone's way, but who knows.

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Quote Originally Posted by Kri$han View Post
    I'm going downtown for a seminar at a hotel this weekend, and I'm currently looking for places to park. There aren't really many places to park on the street nearby (as I can see from Street View), and on weekends the streets aren't exactly packed with parking, leaving my bike susceptible to damage. There are a few Green P lots nearby... should I just park in the Green P lots?

Anyone had any luck with parking in the front area of Hotels? I figure I can probably squeeze the bike between two of the bollards and be out of everyone's way, but who knows.
    Depends on which hotel/area... Royal York?

I see Bikes Parked up on the Sidewalk close to the entrance to Malls all the time. I've never done it but I am tempted to. I'm always afraid of it getting towed.
    R.I.P : William Joseph "Joey" Dunlop, Feb. 25th 1952 - July 2nd 2000.“KING OF THE ROADS” Sadly Missed, Never Forgotten.

www.roadawareness.ca

I park in the middle of a parking spot, preferably in the corner somewhere so there's only one car next to me. Some places I park on the sidewalk, like certain patio bars but it's actually illegal, so I only do it if I can see the bike all the time.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

I was at Erin park Last weekend and the lots were full.

I parked on the Grass near a gate....used a stone to stop my Kickstand from sinking.

Saw Parking Patrol giving tickets to every car parked on the sides....they didn't even give my bike a second glance.

I usually park on the curbs near entrances at Malls, Movie Theaters, Gyms etc etc
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
    It isn't, they looked into it & they didn't agree with it and said it would cost them to money to do (as if).

We have a sticky on this here:http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ead.php?t=6904

As for parking lots I do what woobie does.
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+