Ted Rose / Rosey Toes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ted Rose / Rosey Toes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ted Rose / Rosey Toes

Yes, I know there's another review/thread on Ted but my experience at his shop was so good that I felt it deserved it's own thread, rather than just another reply tacked on.

I just got new tires for my bike from Pete's and I needed them put on. From word of mouth and here, I've learned that "Ted is the man". So I looked around for more information on his shop.

Searching on the forms, I found the previously mentioned thread HERE and some quick googling led me to the closest thing I could find to a website HERE I don't think this is an official website and information may be outdated.

From what I've read about Ted online, the descriptions are pretty accurate.
    He's an oldschool honest mechanic with a sense of humor.

As I pulled up to the shop, Ted was outside with a customer and he said, "KAN TUNA!" (I ride a Katana).
    He made some remarks/jokes to the customer and right away I said, "You must be Ted."
    At this statement his customer laughed and said, "everybody knows you Ted!"

Ted went back into the shop to do some work and the poked his head out the door and said, "hey <insulting name>, bring the bike over".

I don't know why but I stupidly responded! hahaha There was a guy standing next to me and I wasn't sure which of us Ted was talking to but it did turn out to be me.

So my tires got installed and when Ted was finished, he called me in and gave me a chain lecture. I've had MANY chain lectures before at meets but no one was SHOWN me how to lube my chain. Ted lubed it while I turned the rear wheel and explained what he was doing and why and where to lube.

What did I learn? 1. I was lubing my chain wrong all of the time and 2. I wasn't putting enough lube on. He was using some kind of synthetic lube or whatever but he greased the CRAP out of my chain. What he put on, I don't even put that much on after a cleaning!

Then he asked me if I knew how to use the centre stand. I told him I did but I learned the hard way after dropping my bike twice.
    Doesn't matter if I already knew how to do it.
    He rolls my bike out to the parking lot, shows me how to put it on the stand and then stands next to the bike while I did it.
    I already knew how to use the centre stand but what I didn't know is 3. that rocking the bike too hard and causing the bike to jump back will stress the stand/frame and it may not work in the future.

Those 3 things alone made the trip to Ted's worth while.
    Any shop can change tires. Ted took the time to educate me on the proper use of my centre stand and maintenance of my chain. It's like he KNEW I was a noob!

After numerous warning from Ted and other customers about "taking it easy" on new tires, I was on my way.

Oldschool mechanic
    Great Service
    Jokes
    Cares about his customers
    Great rates
    His office is a couch in the laneway.
    Belching - I didn't hear any but the topic did come up a few times.

Google Map Link

Re: Ted Rose / Rosey Toes

haha I was the guy with the red R6, he's truely awesome but I will never let him lube my chain. The stuff he uses is great but it sprays everywhere. I rather stick to my teflon lube .

Quote Originally Posted by Jlin View Post
    haha I was the guy with the red R6, he's truely awesome but I will never let him lube my chain. The stuff he uses is great but it sprays everywhere. I rather stick to my teflon lube .
    Hey Jlin!
    Yeah I noticed that he sprayed so much of it that it was dripping and puddling on the platform. I use teflon too. IDK if it's better than chain wax but it's certainly cheaper.

This is what I was talking about for a GPS mount.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...18#post1152618

Jamie made a post showing how he did it but the pictures are gone.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...796#post887796

And another link.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ighlight=mount

You can also check www.gpscity.ca

Quote Originally Posted by shoe View Post
    Jamie made a post showing how he did it but the pictures are gone.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...796#post887796
    Fixed.

-Jamie M.

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    Fixed.

-Jamie M.
    Wow. Do you search for your own name? How did you know about the post referring to your pics??

Wow. Do you search for your own name? How did you know about the post referring to your pics??
    I get like 5 pm's a day "hey, they are calling you this over here, that over there, etc."

someone read your post and pm'd me the pics weren't workin.

-Jamie M.

Yep, that's Ted. Yep, he's the man. Oh, and, about this:

Ted went back into the shop to do some work and the poked his head out the door and said, "hey <insulting name>, bring the bike over".

I don't know why but I stupidly responded!
    I know why you responded

PS: Good review. Based on my own first experience with him, it sounds fairly accurate. The educating you got, it's called Special-Ted.
    Last edited by adri; 03-19-2010 at 01:27 AM.

I would have figured he knew shoe by reputation
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

That's a pretty accurate account of Ted and Rosey Toes. Were you able to look at all the old bikes he has squirreled away in the back? You didn't hear him fart? Maybe if you visit him after lunch. My visit included hearing his Harley (very loud), jokes, farting, throwing old shoes on top of his neighbour's house, and flirting with random trampy women. And he certed my bike.

The aspect I like about Ted is that you can watch him work on your bike. He encourages you to watch and learn, while at other shops you are not allowed into the service bay because of "insurance reasons".

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBoy View Post
    The aspect I like about Ted is that you can watch him work on your bike. He encourages you to watch and learn, while at other shops you are not allowed into the service bay because of "insurance reasons".
    + like 100000 seeing it done= you being able to do it the next time. That's why teds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
    + like 100000 seeing it done= you being able to do it the next time. That's why teds awesome.
    Yeah I could have taken my rims off myself but I looked at the service manual and I didn't feel too confident with it. Looks like next time I'll give it a shot. Watch and learn is pretty good.

That's a pretty accurate account of Ted and Rosey Toes. Were you able to look at all the old bikes he has squirreled away in the back? You didn't hear him fart? Maybe if you visit him after lunch. My visit included hearing his Harley (very loud), jokes, farting, throwing old shoes on top of his neighbour's house, and flirting with random trampy women. And he certed my bike.

Haha yeah ted always tells me to bring my sister around so i get a better deal

I like going there for all the reasons above, and that hes honest. There were a couple of times when i was asking him about stuff and he just flat out said "Nope, you dont need that" even though he could have sold me something. For example, i was looking at getting new tires because my sidewalls are a bit cracked, but the tread is still good. Ted just said "Why the **** would you buy new tires? Theyre tube tires, they wont blow out and they arent cracked that much, its a waste of money" even though the tires were like 30 dollars each and i was ready to order them that day...

Though i will disagree about the chain lube :P I hate it when ted lubes my chain because that **** flings FOREVER. I thought my sprocket was pouring out oil after taking it to teds once, but it turned out just to be fling from the chain. I like the teflon lube, so that Wurth stuff is just too messy for me even though its really great lube.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson View Post
    Haha yeah ted always tells me to bring my sister around so i get a better deal

I like going there for all the reasons above, and that hes honest. There were a couple of times when i was asking him about stuff and he just flat out said "Nope, you dont need that" even though he could have sold me something. For example, i was looking at getting new tires because my sidewalls are a bit cracked, but the tread is still good. Ted just said "Why the **** would you buy new tires? Theyre tube tires, they wont blow out and they arent cracked that much, its a waste of money" even though the tires were like 30 dollars each and i was ready to order them that day...

Though i will disagree about the chain lube :P I hate it when ted lubes my chain because that **** flings FOREVER. I thought my sprocket was pouring out oil after taking it to teds once, but it turned out just to be fling from the chain. I like the teflon lube, so that Wurth stuff is just too messy for me even though its really great lube.
    Friend of mine was looking to have some electrical work done on his bike, so I've send him to Ted..... I should mention that my friend is "old school Italian.....”and deep inside I knew that I was going to hear about his trip to Teds. When he got there, he says to Ted: Hey Buddyyyyy! Do you know how to do electrical on motorcycles? Teds reply: only after I have a sex with your sister.....and your mother.....Buddyyyyy!!!
    "Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every
    man's greed." ~~ Mohandas Ghandi
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

'09 Concours 14 The Ultimate Transcontinental Cruise Missile

I didn't see the shoe thing or hear the farting but a guy that came to visit Ted told me a story about a ride he went on with Ted and a thunderous belch. lol

I just saw the bikes in the lane way. I didn't enter the storefront. It was a nice day and everyone was hanging around outside so I stuck there.

Pretty much he was running a tire shop that day. EVERYONE that came was getting tires done! The next time I go back, I'll check out the bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    I would have figured he knew shoe by reputation
    My reputation is low profile.

GOOD service ..

anyone know how much Ted charges for tire installation? It's Sunday so otherwise I'd call in.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Yep, that's Ted. Yep, he's the man. Oh, and, about this:

I know why you responded

PS: Good review. Based on my own first experience with him, it sounds fairly accurate. The educating you got, it's called Special-Ted.
    It's a good thing I didn't say what he called me!

Quote Originally Posted by jotapeh

Hahaha.. was this in response to you asking if your bike was ready?
    Nope, it was right after he diagnosed and corrected the issue of my bike overheating at no cost.
    Sleeping is my drug,
    My bed is my dealer,
    and my alarm clock
    is the police.

Well, I paid him a friendly visit this AM, and by the end of the day my bike was on the road again. So glad to say it all worked out.