'86 Yamaha FZ750 - Starter Clutch Swap

Thread: '86 Yamaha FZ750 - Starter Clutch Swap

'86 Yamaha FZ750 - Starter Clutch Swap

This winter I decided to replace the starter clutch on my old Yamaha. My bike wasn't starting well and it was suggested that this was the reason why.
    It would have been easier to first check my starter... and fix my choke... but hindsight is allways 20/20. So here she is last summer:

After a while wintering at my friend's place, it looked more like this:

Pretty sad eh?
    Eventually after a while longer I got the cylinders removed and split the crankcase.

I think I'm at my pic limit... I'll post again.
    Last edited by Verdegrand; 03-17-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Re: '86 Yamaha FZ750 - Starter Clutch Swap

Okay here's the starter clutch in the engine, the culprit! (I hope)

I swapped it out. It looked perfectly fine... We'll see when I try and start it again I guess. I've since put the crankcase back together (twice!), put the cylinders back on, and did a valve adjustment. The engine currently looks like this:

The clutch goes in that hole there... along with some other stuff... I decided since I'm doing all this to paint aswell. I can only figure out how to put a couple pics up at a time here though...
    Last edited by Verdegrand; 03-17-2010 at 09:51 PM.

So I decided to leave the gold bits on the engine as is. I would've loved to have sent them to fireball for some powdercoating but no money for such things. So I'm leaving them as is and repainting the black. Here's a before and after of the bottom of the engine / oil pan.

and

it looks better in real life. I did this today. I used dupli-color engine enamel, high gloss black. If I can get the rest of her as nice as the belly I'll be happy. I'll post more when I get the engine painted.. It'll probably be a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by Verdegrand; 03-17-2010 at 10:18 PM.

Wish these pictures were working, I'm in the middle of replacing the starter clutch in my '80 CB650C!

They were working..... I don't know what happened..

Yeah so the engine's almost done.. this is a before picture of one part of it, I took off the coolant pipe and the intake's there after taking it, as you'll see in the next photo.

The paint ran a little in a couple of spots but whatever.

It's a bit tricky because you have to layer the paint a little thicker to get it glossy, but with all the little indents and crevaces and protrusions it's a little tricky.

Hey if anyone reads this and is good at posting pics, maybe you could help me out. Or if there is a thread somewhere explaining it. Right now I'm doing it through attaching the pic as a file and then pasting that link into pic attachment tool. I had to delete old pics to get the new ones up... The attachments were all still up last time I checked but not anymore I guess....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0832.jpg   DSCF0834.jpg