building a trail

Thread: building a trail

building a trail

i was wondering if anybody here has experence in making there own track / trails. any susgestions would be great.. i was thinkin (already started) of making a little trail with jumps and turns beside the train tracks.. there useto be one there but no one has used it for a couple of years..
    just wondering wats really good with that
    has anybody done it befour? or had authority figures try to shut it down??

Re: building a trail

Where are you located ?

I'd probably be in to lend you a hand too
    2009 Ninja 250r SE
    2001 Kx 125

There used to be an awsome track north east of morningside and finch. It was beside railway tracks too. I used to walk my dog on trails that went past it. One day there was a cop giving tickets to people for trespassing on railroad property. I got a ticket that day along with some kids who were hanging arround there.

The officer told me the dirt bikers would just take off when they saw him coming. He also told me how many feet on either side of the tracks was railroad property too but I forget.

I dont know if that helps. But I was surprised that there was an officer on foot in the middle of nowhere.
    1990 Kawasaki Tengai with a 96 KLR heart transplant.

Is the trail within the rail right-of-way or on your property? If the property is not yours there is always the chance of being charged with trespassing (although railways normally do minimal enforcement).

If they actually catch you building the trail, they should be able to charge you with even more as you will be 'destroying' their property.

The biggest problem is that the property owner can be sued by anyone using the trail (even if the owner had nothing to do with the trail construction or operation). That is part of the reason trail passes cost so much, local trail organizations pay for liability insurance to cover the property owners whose land they cross.

You wouldn't like someone making a trail in your back yard, so don't make one in someone elses.

EDIT:7ply beat me to it.

dont listen to all the debbie downers regarding tresspassing. If you are in a remote area its almost never an issue. Also, if you do get charged (I have been twice) it's like a $70 fine and that's it...not a big price to pay when you figure how many times u actually get nailed.

Once you start riding on the street you will realize that tresspassing fines are the least of your worries!

I do recommend making sure you have insurance though if you are riding off your property, just to cover your own butt.

I'm thinking about a tiny track near a railroad...are you by chance located in pickering?
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

Quote Originally Posted by amp3d View Post
    are you by chance located in pickering?
    no..

thanks for the info people!