Changed my clutch on my 04 YZ250F last summer and documented it.
This should be very similar for most bikes out on the road aside from the odd manufacturers like ducati (not sure about the dry clutches etc.)

So here goes:
First, remove the return spring for the rear brake pedal and take the pivot bolt out for it, don't forget the safety pin. On the other side of the bike, I released the clutch cable from the clutch arm.

Next, remove the bolts around the clutch cover.

Now pull the cover off (could take some VERY MINOR prying or a whack with a rubber mallet) and you get your first look at the clutch.

Since this was my first time on this bike, I put the bolts into a container in order of install. I no longer need to do this as I've remembered what bolts go where.

Now, take the bolts and springs out for the pressure plate.

Now you remove the pressure plate... Pay attention here that the small ball bearing in the push rod in the centre doesn't fall out and get lost!

And it's time to start digging out those clutch pads! Take note the outside is a fibre, as well as the most inner. There are 5 metal discs, and 6 fibre discs, a metal disc in between each fibre.
Inspect the clutch basket for any wear on the teeth. Indentations will cause the clutch to hang up, clutch slippage, and many other issues. A cheap temporary fix is to file it down back smooth, but I would just rather buy a new basket at that point.

Now it's time to get those hands dirty! These discs have been soaking in fresh oil for the last day.

Place the discs back in, in their proper order. Inspect them as they might have different faces on either side. As long as all the plates go in the same side it's proper!

Put in your pressure plate and the new springs and bolts, just hand tighten at this point.

Torque down the pressure plate using a star pattern. I think it was something like 5 or 6 INCH lbs, a very light loading. This is one of those things where you NEED to use the torque wrench.

Put the clutch cover back on, install the bolts, the brake spring, the pivot bolt and don't forget the safety pin! Don't forget the clutch arm and cable on the other side.

This should take maybe 10 minutes if your tools are organized and you've done it once.

Now go out and ride it with that buttery new clutch!