6 feet tall, 275 Lbs...New rider, what bike to get? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6 feet tall, 275 Lbs...New rider, what bike to get?

Re: 6 feet tall, 275 Lbs...New rider, what bike to get?

For comfort, a cruiser is the only way to go unless you want to look like you are riding a mini-moto.

Get a Vstar 650 or 1100 They have good torque

i am the same size as you bud and i can tell you flat out the 250 is not a big enough bike. i like the idea of the 650 v strom, i like those bikes alot. there are some good solid older bikes around that may be a great beginner platform for you and come in at the right price. they have simple mechanical systems and it will give you a chance to understand them better. i like the idea of the 750 or 650 nighthawk's from honda as well. i have a 1981 suzuki gs1100ex that i have for sale. it is a bit big but a good bike as well if you can be mature and responsible.
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Hi, I am a new rider (just got my M1) and have no idea on what bike to get. I have read a lot of great info on this site, but there is nothing in regards to someone of my size (6 feet, 275). Any information or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I'm 6'2 and 285 and I started on a 98 CBR 600F3 and even for me that was way to much wish I had gone for a Ninja 500 would still have my shoulder and not a bunch of torn ligaments now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Yo, how're those situps going?
    Seriously, dude, I'm 6'3"" 220 and I'm fat (bad case of winterbelly).
    Anyway, a Ninja250 is full-sized but I could see you better on a Ninja650 (also a twin).
    Those bikes are very affordable, $6999-ish, and light and good on insurance.
    The 650 Ninja twins are quite the bikes, overlooked by some folks...
    They go like crazy, I was very impressed. Plenty of thrust.
    BMW did the same thing, but 800cc (and twice the money).
    No offense (about the situps thing) man I'm tryin' to do them myself,
    Regards
    winter is where you get in the gym and make your body look better for the warm season.

the warm season you maintain and push harder weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Domon View Post
    I'm 6'2 and 285 and I started on a 98 CBR 600F3 and even for me that was way to much wish I had gone for a Ninja 500 would still have my shoulder and not a bunch of torn ligaments now.
    I don't understand how a 500 cc would of made a difference compared to the 600 you crashed on. the throttle is in your control. I have friends who started on 1000 cc sport bikes back when they were 16 and are now 20-22 and still ride their 1000s...some even dropping down to 600cc level to save on insurance.

as long as you go the speed limits and gradually increase the throttle; not letting the rpms rise from 0-6000 in 1.5 seconds, then there is no difference between a 250cc-1000cc++. Learn what your bike is capable of and respect it.

my first bike was a 2004 cbr 600..the first time i rode it, by the end of my ride, my legs were shaking... but I kept with it and gradually built my skill with it before I went on the highway, even then id ride in the right lane of the highway driving 80-90 km.

just my 2 cents. I understand everybody is different.
    Last edited by ep1x; 03-16-2010 at 05:29 PM.

me 6'4 260 800 vulcan nice fit and a new/old rider

Quote Originally Posted by STARSHIP View Post
    For comfort, a cruiser is the only way to go unless you want to look like you are riding a mini-moto.

Get a Vstar 650 or 1100 They have good torque
    I''m 6'6" and feel uncomfortable on v-star. Much better on v-max Cruiser is a short folks toy.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1x View Post
    I don't understand how a 500 cc would of made a difference compared to the 600 you crashed on. the throttle is in your control. I have friends who started on 1000 cc sport bikes back when they were 16 and are now 20-22 and still ride their 1000s...some even dropping down to 600cc level to save on insurance.

as long as you go the speed limits and gradually increase the throttle; not letting the rpms rise from 0-6000 in 1.5 seconds, then there is no difference between a 250cc-1000cc++. Learn what your bike is capable of and respect it.

my first bike was a 2004 cbr 600..the first time i rode it, by the end of my ride, my legs were shaking... but I kept with it and gradually built my skill with it before I went on the highway, even then id ride in the right lane of the highway driving 80-90 km.

Your experience allow you to control 1000cc in proper manner. For newbie each twist on such bike can be fatal.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1x View Post

It's not so much about how much you twist the throttle for new riders...it's more about what happens when a new rider gets into trouble. A new rider may hit a pothole and - being new - may not handle it properly...they hit the pothole hard..their wrist snaps back...and things can go bad very fast. If the same situation happened on a less powerful bike...there is a better chance for recovery and learning.

Cheers

Paul
    "When you invite the whole world to your party, inevitably someone pees in the beer."

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    It's not so much about how much you twist the throttle for new riders...it's more about what happens when a new rider gets into trouble. A new rider may hit a pothole and - being new - may not handle it properly...they hit the pothole hard..their wrist snaps back...and things can go bad very fast. If the same situation happened on a less powerful bike...there is a better chance for recovery and learning.

Cheers

Paul
    there's so many factors that contribute to smaller displacement machines being a better choice for beginners such as the one above. It's not so much a matter of being different ep1x, it's about experienced riders providing sound and responsible advice to new riders. Starting on a 1000 may be fine for some people, but For the majority of newbs, a smaller bike is a safer smarter bet. Actually, it's a safer smarter bet for any new rider. I'd be curious to know why a new rider would decide to learn to ride on a machine that is purpose built for riders with many years of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by xplorer View Post
    I''m 6'6" and feel uncomfortable on v-star. Much better on v-max Cruiser is a short folks toy.
    I agree. I'm over 6 feet and cruisers, although larger in mass than sport bikes, aren't necessarily roomier, especially the smaller ones. I have a vulcan 1600 and it's ok, but it dwarfs the 650s and 750s. Besides, I think this dudes lookin for something older to start on. I'm not too familiar with 80s bikes. Anyone in here that could drop a list for this guy? And OP- check northern
    motorsports website. They stock a lot of 1980's bikes. That'll give you an idea of what's out there. I think you're on the right track. The more upright you are, the less weight

will be put on your sensitive areas. Forward leaning bikes (sportbikes) will cause strain and discomfort to areas such as wrists, shoulders, elbows, hips, and neck while more leaned back bikes (cruisers) can cause discomfort to your tail bone, and numbness in your arms during longer rides. It all depends on what you want out of your bike.

The most comfortable riding position is that found on a sports tourer. The body weight is more evenly distributed between the seat, hands and feet. With a sports tourer you have a slightly forward lean but not as aggressive as with a sports bike, you also put less weight on your ***. Your lower back will thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zed-X-Rex View Post
    I agree. I'm over 6 feet and cruisers, although larger in mass than sport bikes, aren't necessarily roomier, especially the smaller ones.
    Heh, I want to be on party called SEVENFEETNOTFAR Actually.... why not on bikes?