6 feet tall, 275 Lbs...New rider, what bike to get?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 feet tall, 275 Lbs...New rider, what bike to get?

6 feet tall, 275 Lbs...New rider, what bike to get?

Hi, I am a new rider (just got my M1) and have no idea on what bike to get. I have read a lot of great info on this site, but there is nothing in regards to someone of my size (6 feet, 275). Any information or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: 6 feet tall, 275 Lbs...New rider, what bike to get?

Six feet will fit most full-sized bikes, no problems there. You may find some supersport bikes too small. You didn't say what kind of bike you were interested in, but a first bike should be somewhere between 250cc and 500cc for most people, although I tend to move toward the larger of the two displacements.

If I was to make a suggestion, I'd suggest a GS500 as a good starting bike. It's not all that flashy, but they're fun to ride and have sufficient power to pull someone of your size in any situation.

Or, you might also consider something a little more sporting if that's your thing, and look at a SV650 (I'd favour the standard over the faired model) or a Ninja 650R. Stay away from new, clean bikes for your first bike... you will probably dump the bike at least once either at a standstill or at a slow speed while you're learning.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

Thanks for the info!! I was looking at a 82 Yamaha Seca... again I know nothing about bikes, but this looked like something I would ride. Just don't know if it's a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Thanks for the info!! I was looking at a 82 Yamaha Seca... again I know nothing about bikes, but this looked like something I would ride. Just don't know if it's a good fit.
    Just make a list of bike you want, get to a dealer and hop on it, bring ya girl, she will let you know man. My recommendation are the 250cc

Either Kawasaki 250r or this baby (which i have no idea when is it coming out)

http://www.bennche.com/product/Megelli_250r.htm
    Tom
    Yamaha 07 R6 Charcoal

My fiance is the same height/weight as you. Our first season he rode my 08 Ninja 250. Granted the ZR 7S he got second season fits him better and has more power but during the 1st season the 250 was definitely sufficient. Heck, we even two upped on that thing on the highway. It's a work horse.

If you DO have the funds, I would definitely suggest a GS500 or EX500 or if you find yourself very comfortable on the bike and not prone to doing stupid things like fly down the straightaways....a beginner-friendly 600 like the 650R / Er-6n from Kawi or FZ6R from Yamaha. Definitely visit all the major dealers so you can sit on bike of different size and makes.

My dad picked up a 1984 Honda Sabre V65 last year for cheap and it is a nice/big bike to ride, it will fit you perfect. I'm exactly the same height and weight as you and I ride a V-Rod, it fits me nice.
    Night Rod Special

Look at a Nighthawk 750 as well. It's a fairly large bike, very reliable and low maintenance with adequate power. You can find one cheap. There are plenty around.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

If you want to ride a few trails and you like a tall bike, the suzuki drz 400s is a versatile bike (but not comfortable for long distances).

just sayin...I just feel good on a dual sport bike.

Goldwing..

KATANA 600 or 750. Best starter bike I thought.

Don`t waste your time with a 250 .At 275lbs you need a bike with a bit of pull .A GS 500 or a EX 500 are good choices .A Suzuki SV 6500 if you have the cash .It will last you a season or two .

08 VRSCDXA
    99 VFR800
    90 GSXR1100
    88 600 Katana
    84 VF500F
    84 Yamaha XS 400
    84 Suzuki GS400

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy **** ....what a ride!'

You can't go wrong with a Suzuki Boulevard M50 or C50, both bikes are bulletproof and beginner friendly.

275lbs? Don't get a 250, it won't even make it up your driveway with you on it.

I agree with the last guy. I'm 6'6" and close to 300lbs. I got a 600, tho, thats not for everyone to start out on for sure. My buddy rides a ninja ex500 and is about exactly your size. He's had it for 4 yrs now and loves it. Unless I'm gunning mine, he has no problem keeping up to me on the 500. The one and only change he made to the bike is, he got rid of the OEM seat and bought a Corbin one. He says it made a huge difference in the comfort level for riding. Good luck and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Hi, I am a new rider (just got my M1) and have no idea on what bike to get. I have read a lot of great info on this site, but there is nothing in regards to someone of my size (6 feet, 275). Any information or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Yo, how're those situps going?
    Seriously, dude, I'm 6'3"" 220 and I'm fat (bad case of winterbelly).
    Anyway, a Ninja250 is full-sized but I could see you better on a Ninja650 (also a twin).
    Those bikes are very affordable, $6999-ish, and light and good on insurance.
    The 650 Ninja twins are quite the bikes, overlooked by some folks...
    They go like crazy, I was very impressed. Plenty of thrust.
    BMW did the same thing, but 800cc (and twice the money).
    No offense (about the situps thing) man I'm tryin' to do them myself,
    Regards
    Old Ninja, runs good.

My first bike was a '98 Gixxer750. I was still bodybuilding and pushing 260lb back then at 6'1"... I'm not saying jump on a 750 right away, but it's a thought. It all depends on your comfort level. Good luck.
    ~~Emilio~~

'98 Suzuki GSX-R750: Sold
    '02 Yamaha R1: Sold
    '06 Suzuki GSX-R1000 CUSTOM: Current
    '08 Suzuki GSX-R750: Current

Thanks for all the help everybody!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Yo, how're those situps going?
    Seriously, dude, I'm 6'3"" 220 and I'm fat (bad case of winterbelly).
    Anyway, a Ninja250 is full-sized but I could see you better on a Ninja650 (also a twin).
    Those bikes are very affordable, $6999-ish, and light and good on insurance.
    The 650 Ninja twins are quite the bikes, overlooked by some folks...
    They go like crazy, I was very impressed. Plenty of thrust.
    BMW did the same thing, but 800cc (and twice the money).
    No offense (about the situps thing) man I'm tryin' to do them myself,
    Regards
    Not everyone is rotund at 250 pounds. Before my back surgery 20 years ago (liked it so much I am going back for another in June), I was 6'1" and 250 pounds with a 34 inch waist. I had a 58" chest. No situps or workouts. After surgery I was 6' 1/2" though.

The OPs actual dimensions are something he needs to consider if he is concerned about how he looks on the bike. If he is short in the leg (less than a 33 inseam), he will be long in the body and he will look like a monkey having sex with a foot ball on most smaller displacement bikes. The Katana series would be best for that situation, they have a long wheelbase.

I would take a long look at a 650 V-Strom.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by bear22099 View Post
    Not everyone is rotund at 250 pounds. Before my back surgery 20 years ago (liked it so much I am going back for another in June), I was 6'1" and 250 pounds with a 34 inch waist. I had a 58" chest. No situps or workouts. After surgery I was 6' 1/2" though.

The OPs actual dimensions are something he needs to consider if he is concerned about how he looks on the bike. If he is short in the leg (less than a 33 inseam), he will be long in the body and he will look like a monkey having sex with a foot ball on most smaller displacement bikes. The Katana series would be best for that situation, they have a long wheelbase.
    I'm 6'2" 310lbs (thanks to Rugby...anywhoo) and found both the Katana and SV650s great bikes for us heavier folks. I had an SV and found it to be a great bike, lots of options/upgrades and that bike will go for days. If you've been driving for a while (see: comfortable on the road) and can control your throttle hand, go SV
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.