Short girl looking for sporty-style starter bike suggestions - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Short girl looking for sporty-style starter bike suggestions

Re: Short girl looking for sporty-style starter bike suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by gsmokez View Post
    I was thinking about picking up a Ninja 250r this summer because it seems to be the best bang for the buck and judging from the research I've done it would be the perfect bike for the OP but all this talk about height has me a bit worried. How would it be for someone that is 5' 11"?
    You want the older 250s (pre-2008 ) since they lowered them a bit (on top of adding the ridiculous fairing style that doesn't suit the bike at all). You will be a bit tall for it but shouldn't be uncomfortable.

Proud owner of a 2001 Kawi 250 (low side count: 3)
    UWaterloo '13-14 - Fin. Analysis, Com. Sci. (SE) Double
    (don't hate on the sig...ye have been warned...)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
    Hi there,

I'm looking for some starter-bike suggestions but...
    I'm 5'4", not very strong, and I'd like something just to get started. Small, light, cheap, low CC, low insurance.
    I always wanted a cruiser since I was a kid. So, originally I was looking at the Honda Rebel. But since taking the course two summers ago I've converted to the sporty-style of bikes.

So, anyone have any suggestions?

Much appreciated!

If anyone is selling something that sounds like it might be up my alley, please feel free to message me.

Ninja 250!

Wow! This topic got some heavy activity! I dumbly enough have been trying to login to gtamotorcycle.ca this whole time and was freaking out why I couldnt
    I only just realized!

Thanks to everyone so much for your suggestions. It'll take me a little while to go through all of it.

I have decided to get a 250CC bike.
    I also looked at a few Ninjas.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ189407986
    I drove up to look at this bike and ended up being disappointed. I was not able to stand it upright and put both of my feet comfortably on the ground. In fact, I was on my toes to stand it upright, even the sales guy advised against me driving a bike I couldn't flat foot. I was not comfortable leaning it side to side as a result, the bike felt big and bulky. I felt as though I would not be able to hold it in some situations. However, I did love the way it looked.

I found a 2008 250 Kawasaki Ninja on Kijiji that had been modified to be lower, and I got really excited to see it but it sold before I could.

So right now there's another 2004 ZZR Ninja I'm going to go look at it, it's a regular one. It's significantly cheaper but I imagine I'm going to have the same height problem with it. Maybe I can do some similar lowering adjustments to it? I'll continue to look through this topic to see what other suggestions there were - just wanted to give everyone an update on my findings

I'll let you know! Thanks so much for all of your helpful feedback, I'm really glad to have joined the community

Yes, as a newbie it's important that you should be able to flatfoot the bike. You should have no problems lowering just about any bike you find out there. Keep in mind also that the 2008-on Ninjas have slightly lower seat height than the older models.

Keep in mind footwear. I'm sure you haven't bought riding boots yet, but take into consideration that it can make a difference in what you can flatfoot. For example, I wear these:

http://www.motorcycle.com/products/d...oots-3263.html

I'm wary even getting on my 650R unless I'm wearing them! Sneakers just ain't gonna cut it.
    Last edited by short stop; 03-22-2010 at 01:34 PM.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

If you get yourself some "big" boots, that'll help with you being able to flat foot it. You don't "need" to flat foot a bike to be able to ride it, but it makes it more comfortable. I know a girl who is 4'8 and rides a not lowered R1. When she comes to a stop she looks for a curb to put her leg on, if there isn't one, she leans the bike almost on it's side. When she's ready to go she THROWS it up, hops on and dumps the clutch

Lowering the Ninja 250 is easy. You can find the kits on ebay, etc.

It's best to lower the front at the same time you are lowering the rear. To lower the front: http://www.soupysperformance.com/cat...00/5527850.htm

The rear: http://www.soupysperformance.com/cat...00/5405407.htm

If you aren't mechanically inclined or don't know someone who is, any reputable shop can lower it for you.

The 250 ninja is a sexy bike. Some people who like the styling on the Ninja 250 also like the Hyosung GT250R. Brand new it's only $4,300 with a 2 year warranty!!!

My friend bought one at a store in Niagara Falls. I can't remember exactly where though. I'd imagine there are some dealers in Toronto as well. *Edit: It was this place: http://vtwincyclemotorcyclescooter.c...yosung-gt250r/

Good luck on your 250 shopping.

-Jamie M.
    Last edited by toysareforboys; 03-22-2010 at 01:29 PM.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    If you get yourself some "big" boots, that'll help with you being able to flat foot it. You don't "need" to flat foot a bike to be able to ride it, but it makes it more comfortable. I know a girl who is 4'8 and rides a not lowered R1. When she comes to a stop she looks for a curb to put her leg on, if there isn't one, she leans the bike almost on it's side. When she's ready to go she THROWS it up, hops on and dumps the clutch
    hehe, sounds like my technique for a friend's motocross bike, when I was a 100 pound 13 year old. Works like a charm.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

toysforboys makes some good points!
    oh
    ,in regards to the boots.. I always ride with my riding boots because it makes shifting gears so much easier.. some of my other footwear can have issues.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ189407986
    I drove up to look at this bike and ended up being disappointed. I was not able to stand it upright and put both of my feet comfortably on the ground. In fact, I was on my toes to stand it upright, even the sales guy advised against me driving a bike I couldn't flat foot. I was not comfortable leaning it side to side as a result, the bike felt big and bulky. I felt as though I would not be able to hold it in some situations. However, I did love the way it looked.
    You want the newer Ninjas (2008/2009/2010), they are lower than the older one. I still disapprove of their ridiculous fairings but they are more manageable in the height department.

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post

Lowering the Ninja 250 is easy. You can find the kits on ebay, etc.

It's best to lower the front at the same time you are lowering the rear. To lower the front: http://www.soupysperformance.com/cat...00/5527850.htm

The rear: http://www.soupysperformance.com/cat...00/5405407.htm

If you aren't mechanically inclined or don't know someone who is, any reputable shop can lower it for you.

The 250 ninja is a sexy bike. Some people who like the styling on the Ninja 250 also like the Hyosung GT250R. Brand new it's only $4,300 with a 2 year warranty!!!
    -Jamie M.
    1) That first idea seems a bit fishy...I wouldn't try that personally...
    2) Make sure to do your homework if you want a Hyosung...so far the general opinion was that they look cool but have second rate quality...

Quote Originally Posted by RLapin View Post
    You want the newer Ninjas (2008/2009/2010), they are lower than the older one. I still disapprove of their ridiculous fairings but they are more manageable in the height department.

1) That first idea seems a bit fishy...I wouldn't try that personally...
    2) Make sure to do your homework if you want a Hyosung...so far the general opinion was that they look cool but have second rate quality...
    if you go with the thick boots, you probably want the Gp shift as well.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the general consensus on the Hyonsung been that they *feel* bigger than a 250cc? That would pretty well defeat the purpose for a shorter rider.
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Quote Originally Posted by short stop View Post
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the general consensus on the Hyonsung been that they *feel* bigger than a 250cc? That would pretty well defeat the purpose for a shorter rider.
    I haven't even heard that...threads about them are rare and its usually the quality that's discussed =)

I haven't even heard that...threads about them are rare and its usually the quality that's discussed =)
    Yep, well I've definitely heard of those issues as well.
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

I found a 2008 250 Kawasaki Ninja on Kijiji that had been modified to be lower, and I got really excited to see it but it sold before I could.
    Wouldn't happen to have green rim tape, would it?

Quote Originally Posted by azia View Post
    Wouldn't happen to have green rim tape, would it?
    There was only one for sale here =)

There was only one for sale here =)
    She said Kijiji.

Vicky, lemme know if you go with the 250 and have questions about the lowered version. I rode it one season stock, one season lowered.

Quote Originally Posted by short stop View Post
    I'v heard this as well, that it has real sport bike proportions compared to the more relaxed Ninja 250. Just checked and supposedly the seat height for the two is the same, though.. must be the riding position that people were referring to.

Hey everybody! Just a quick update!
    I went through all the responses and all the wonderful PMs I had, and I decided on a Red 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R!

I wasn't able to flat foot it, but taking into consideration your helpful comments about the boots, I am confident I will be able to flat foot it (or get pretty darn close) with my biking boots on.

I also wanted to let everyone know that I felt dramatically more comfortable on this bike than the ZZR I sat on up north. What a difference! That bike felt chunky and much heavier to me. I feel much more confident and comfortable on the 2009 250. Love at first sit!

I'm hoping to get the bike plated and everything within the next week or two, but once I do get it I'll try it on with my boots and let you all know officially what the verdict is!

Thanks again for all of your wonderful feedback, I couldn't have done it without your help!

but once I do get it I'll try it on with my boots and let you all know officially what the verdict is!
    Pics are a must.

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

I went through all the responses and all the wonderful PMs I had, and I decided on a Red 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R!

I wasn't able to flat foot it, but taking into consideration your helpful comments about the boots, I am confident I will be able to flat foot it (or get pretty darn close) with my biking boots on.

I also wanted to let everyone know that I felt dramatically more comfortable on this bike than the ZZR I sat on up north. What a difference! That bike felt chunky and much heavier to me. I feel much more confident and comfortable on the 2009 250. Love at first sit!

I'm hoping to get the bike plated and everything within the next week or two, but once I do get it I'll try it on with my boots and let you all know officially what the verdict is!

Thanks again for all of your wonderful feedback, I couldn't have done it without your help!

congrats on your new bike! Hopefully, you'll feel comfortable on it very quickly!

Whatever you do, don't go on a ride with Jamie
    On a separate note pics are def. a requirement =)