Short girl looking for sporty-style starter bike suggestions - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Short girl looking for sporty-style starter bike suggestions

Re: Short girl looking for sporty-style starter bike suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by anth1414 View Post
    hey! welcome !!!!

find a kawi 250. small...light....and a good amount of power for someone in your position.

there are lots up for sale. check the classified section and check other sites..... you will find something.

enjoy! ride safe!
    +1

I agree with Anthony! Take his advice!
    He's on his 3rd bike in the last year or so and he knows everything there is to know about girls on bikes....

Oops, I mean riding girly bikes!
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    msg sent!!

-Jamie M.
    Also, please disregard Jamie. Don't ask why...just do it =)

Proud owner of a 2001 Kawi 250 (low side count: 3)
    UWaterloo '13-14 - Fin. Analysis, Com. Sci. (SE) Double
    (don't hate on the sig...ye have been warned...)

Pinkster

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
    Hi there,

I'm looking for some starter-bike suggestions but...
    I'm 5'4", not very strong, and I'd like something just to get started. Small, light, cheap, low CC, low insurance.
    I always wanted a cruiser since I was a kid. So, originally I was looking at the Honda Rebel. But since taking the course two summers ago I've converted to the sporty-style of bikes.

So, anyone have any suggestions?

Much appreciated!

If anyone is selling something that sounds like it might be up my alley, please feel free to message me.

Honestly.. start with the CBR125R. I'm 5'4" and can almost flat foot on mine. My sister in law has the kawi 250 and they had to get it lowered right away and its a lot heavier too.

Pinkster

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    Ninja 250 is the only way to go IMHO the 125 just doesn't cut it, not powerful enough to ride on the highway too slow in town.

?? The 125 is too slow in town?? do you normally go over 130 in 50/60 zones??

I agree the 125 is troublesome on the highway, but if you don't plan on doing much highway riding you'll pay less on insurance and its a lot easier to handle the 125 as a first bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkster View Post
    WOW.. you mean you would give her the privlidge of doing you just for riding a 250?? You really know how to make a gal feel special!

I'm a genuine gentlemen...But on a real 250 is an excellent choice..the only issue was i wanted more power when i test drove my buddys 600 nothing bad about it.

I have to agree with the thread consensus here: the kawi 250R is definintely an awesome first bike, especially for someone small. I'm only 5'6" myself and I started out on a ninja 500R.

I don't think you'll find that the 250R is in anyway "too heavy"; it makes my Ninja 500R feel like a tank, and the 500R is considered a small bike.

Also, I'd stay away from the honda CBR125R. Sure, it may be even lighter than the 250R but as others have said you'll find it struggling... If you plan on riding on roads with an 80km/h speed limit I'd suggest at least a 250cc...

I ride a CBR125 and have no problems on the highway. Anything under 80, you can keep up with a 250.

It looks like the argument is between the 250 and the 125.. but I doubt everyone posting has actually riden both. Ask anyone who has riden both, and they will tell you the 250 is not much different from the 125. Don't ever confuse displacement with performance, the 250 is a heavier engine, which requires more chassis, bigger brakes (more reciprocating mass), you get the point. Not to mention the used 250's are overpriced (around 4K), you can get a barely used 125 for 2K.

But whatever you decide, both bikes are great beginner bikes. Ride safe, 125 or 250, they can both kick your *** if you're not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Tuck View Post
    I ride a CBR125 and have no problems on the highway. Anything under 80, you can keep up with a 250.

It looks like the argument is between the 250 and the 125.. but I doubt everyone posting has actually riden both. Ask anyone who has riden both, and they will tell you the 250 is not much different from the 125. Don't ever confuse displacement with performance, the 250 is a heavier engine, which requires more chassis, bigger brakes (more reciprocating mass), you get the point. Not to mention the used 250's are overpriced (around 4K), you can get a barely used 125 for 2K.

But whatever you decide, both bikes are great beginner bikes. Ride safe, 125 or 250, they can both kick your *** if you're not careful.
    Used 250 in good condition 3k or less...unless you're after the soft 2008/2009 models =)

Hi there,

I'm 5'4", not very strong, and I'd like something just to get started. Small, light, cheap, low CC, low insurance.
    I always wanted a cruiser since I was a kid. So, originally I was looking at the Honda Rebel. But since taking the course two summers ago I've converted to the sporty-style of bikes.

Much appreciated!

If anyone is selling something that sounds like it might be up my alley, please feel free to message me.

get something like one of these ...

sporty, fun, not too much to insure and very capable.

get a skooter

Quote Originally Posted by bikegirl88 View Post
    I am 5'1" if I am feeling tall. I started on a 2008 Suzuki GS500F. I had it lowered and I was flat foot with no problem.

I just got a new bike it is a 2009 Yamaha FZ6R. I also had this lowered. No problem.

I really enjoyed learning on the 500. It was a very good bike!

Good luck!
    I agree completely, I am 5'4 and started on a gs500f, and have purchased a s 2009 yamaha fz6r as well.

Honda CB-1 400 or Suzuki Bandit gsf400.
    Just got both bikes from the states for my wife. She is 5' and she can handle both.
    Except that I want those bikes more than her.

They are both naked standard but for me they are sporty, Honda is more sportier than the Bandit.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/users/GhostCell/gamepad/ <<<<<Link is for picture reference only.

Both are in-line 4,and at 400cc insurance is 450/yr (She doesnt have m2 yet).
    Both are made prior to 1995 so if you buy stateside its no RIV fee.

Just get a husband or BF whos mechanically inclined and you'll get a bike that you will not get bored in 4 yrs.

Disclamer: My suggestion are biased because i have both bikes .
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Hi there,

Much appreciated!

sv is the way to go, im a starter too, and i got that bike, its perfect trust me, i been riding it everyday. and i love it, its a 650 and cheap on insurance, and u will not be disappointing with how fast it goes, if u go for something lower like a ninja 250 or a cbr 125, its too slow and after a few months you will get tired of it.

If you want to sit on my wife's (Bikegirl8 Fz6R for size drop me a PM. It is also a great bike and not too bad for a beginner. It is a little more expensive as you will have to get a 09 or 10.

Good luck to you.

Greg

Milton Ontario

2012 ZX14R
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

Quote Originally Posted by greg88 View Post
    If you want to sit on my Fz6R for size drop me a PM.
    You're welcome to come sit on mine too Vicky

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    You're welcome to come sit on mine too Vicky

-Jamie M.
    Jamie, she's not 15...go find someone else

My wife is 5'1" and started on a Buell Blast, decent little bike that is good on fuel, easy to learn and ride. She rode up to and around Quebec with no probs. You should be able to find a used one for next to nothing. Semi-Sporty, Shakes like hell though. Just an option if you cannot find a Ninja 250 which would be my premium choice.
    Last edited by bdearlove; 03-20-2010 at 08:43 AM.

i have to agree with everyone i am the same height as u and i ride a well rode a 250 with no problems so i would have to say do ninja 250.there height of seat from ground up it 30 inches or maybe 30.5 inches.. so u will be ok with the height!but wont be flat foot unless its an older model less then a 2000yr..

I was thinking about picking up a Ninja 250r this summer because it seems to be the best bang for the buck and judging from the research I've done it would be the perfect bike for the OP but all this talk about height has me a bit worried. How would it be for someone that is 5' 11"?

Just took out the CB1400 today and it was a blast. Very light and agile and small for me. Its a perfect beginner bike IMO. 13k redline. And its Naked
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400