Battery Problems

Thread: Battery Problems

Angry Battery Problems

Alright so i stored my bike for the winter and took my battery out and attached it to a trickle charger(bought from CDN Tire) and I go down to my basement one day and find that the charger has been unplugged!!! However after plugging the charger back into the wall outlet I realized my battery is no longer charging. So after several failed attempts to get the battery charging again I bought a new charger from CDN Tire (a bigger stronger battery - Mastercraft Brand) however I still cant get my battery charging???

I took my battery to CDN tire and the guy told me that my battery is most likely dead, which is a shock to me. My bike is a 2003 CBR600 with 16,000 I would guess the battery should still have some life.

I did some research and found something about electrolite water being low in the battery but the CDN tire guy told me that may not fix it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, also where can I find a replacement battery and what is the approximate cost? I live in Brampton so anything close by would be nice

Re: Battery Problems

I have a 2005 CBR600RR and my battery died at the beginning of last season. Its hard to say what causes a battery to die due to many variables that could cause it.

I purchased my Yuasa battery at GP Bikes. I believe Snowcity Cycle will have it as well. It will cost around 150 to replace. I don't remember the exact amount I paid.

I guess I'm buying a new battery. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonDhillon View Post
    Alright so i stored my bike for the winter and took my battery out and attached it to a trickle charger(bought from CDN Tire) and I go down to my basement one day and find that the charger has been unplugged!!! However after plugging the charger back into the wall outlet I realized my battery is no longer charging. So after several failed attempts to get the battery charging again I bought a new charger from CDN Tire (a bigger stronger battery - Mastercraft Brand) however I still cant get my battery charging???

I took my battery to CDN tire and the guy told me that my battery is most likely dead, which is a shock to me. My bike is a 2003 CBR600 with 16,000 I would guess the battery should still have some life.

I did some research and found something about electrolite water being low in the battery but the CDN tire guy told me that may not fix it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, also where can I find a replacement battery and what is the approximate cost? I live in Brampton so anything close by would be nice
    6 years is a reasonable life for a battery. Some last longer, some shorter, but it's not that surprising that it's tired.

Is the water topped up in the battery? If it wasn't plugged in, I'd be surprised if it lost enough water not to charge, but it's easy to check. The water should at least cover the plates, normally I fill to the bottom of the battery cap.

Okay… here’s my 2 cents…
    Bigger stronger battery chargers does not mean better. Keep in mind that a motorcycle battery should be charged under low current… ex 1 – 1.5 amp or so. Anything over that can shorten the life of the batt.
    Now as to the life of your batt., seems like it did live a long and good life… I think you did okay.
    Generally, once you let a battery completely discharge, they don’t recover very well. Rarely do they survive.
    As to a place to get one.. try Rider’s Choice, CTC etc

i had an old battery, prob 5+ years old. it would still hold a charge, but would turn over the bike very slowly, but still worked.

i have also come across two batteries that were less than 2 years old, that wouldn't hold a charge.

there are too many variables...