Which Shadow Should I Buy?

Thread: Which Shadow Should I Buy?

Which Shadow Should I Buy?

I'm about to purchase a Honda Shadow. Either a 2003 or 2004. The 2003 one driven by a chain drive where as the 2004 Aero is driven by a shaft drive.

The difference in price between these two bikes is that the Aero would be $350 more expensive for the shaft drive but would also come with accessories such as a back rest, wind shield, and saddle bag with 21000 kms on the bike.

The Ace however has 4000kms on the bike and come's with no accessories. Completely stock.

Keep in mind that the only accessories I plan on getting is the passenger backrest. Any other accessories I am saving for next year. I plan on keeping the Shadow for at least 5 - 8 years.

My question is, which Shadow would you recommend if you were in my situation?

Thanks in advance for any and all help and opinions.

Re: Which Shadow Should I Buy?

I would try riding both. I have ridden both and preferred the chain drive. It's more maintenance but I thought the bike felt more responsive than the shaft drive version. It just depends on what you prefer.
    2005 Kawasaki z750s
    1980 Yamasaki ZXS650 "Lunatic Fringe"

Instructor for www.learningcurves.ca

I'd get the Aero with extra accessories. You may not want them now, but later you might. Those are some nice accessories. If you dont like them, you can always sell them on ebay/craigslist and make some money.

I like Shaft drive, less maintenance and instant response from the transmission
    Lets Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
    I would try riding both. I have ridden both and preferred the chain drive. It's more maintenance but I thought the bike felt more responsive than the shaft drive version. It just depends on what you prefer.
    Does that mean you don't even take the 17000KMs difference into consideration?

$350 more for shaft drive, a backrest (225), a windshield (250-500), saddlebags (150 - 300).

to me it's shaft drive all the way just from a whole chain maintenance perspective (i have both). as for the rest, add it up cause that is eventually what you ARE going to pay later. have a cruiser, want to get away, you'll need all 3. the only issue would be if you don't like the styles or quality of the accessories (in which you'll end up upgrading them anyway).

secondly, 17,000km on a cruiser is nothing. differing from rockets, to putz along on a weekend getaway is a no-stress 1,000km trip.

I sold my original cruiser (2000 vstar 1100) with 55,000 and the engine was still A+.

Go with the shaft drive and the accessories... best deal.

Go with the shaft drive. Super low maintenance. And 17,000km on a Honda Shadow is NOTHING. Not even broken in.
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

Shaft drive and accessories is the choice I'd make.

My father had one and it was a great bike!

go with the shaft drive and accessories, you will use the bags in time, the windshield is a major plus, and back rest for the passenger is also a added plus

Quote Originally Posted by Buttocks View Post
    Does that mean you don't even take the 17000KMs difference into consideration?
    I don't consider 20K high mileage, especially on a Honda. If the bikes have both been maintained well, I would pick the one I like riding more. For me that is the ACE, I really didn't like the shaft drive. I have no problem with doing my own maintenance though, so if you are unsure if you want to tackle regular maintenance yourself the shaft drive may be the better option. They're both good bikes.
    2005 Kawasaki z750s
    1980 Yamasaki ZXS650 "Lunatic Fringe"

Instructor for www.learningcurves.ca

How many km you're planning to put on it in one season? In my case I would definitly go for low km one.

Mileage on a well maintained bike is not that big an issue! Honda's are legendary for lasting! I've had noth shaft and chain and in my opinion the shaft is gravy!
    A backrest will run you a couple hunfred and a windshield is something you can get use to as a guy who rides with no face protection, there are some days when I seriously think about a windshield!
    Just be happy with your choice and find a partner more than a bike.
    Cheers
    Aminal
    In the breeze