Help me find the right bike - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me find the right bike

Re: Help me find the right bike

I missed the 200lbs part. I guess the 125 might be a bit small then, but man those 250's really pack some power. Its really easy to find yourself thrown off balance and twisting the throttle for more.
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

Quote Originally Posted by Spizzak View Post
    I missed the 200lbs part. I guess the 125 might be a bit small then, but man those 250's really pack some power. Its really easy to find yourself thrown off balance and twisting the throttle for more.
    Another thing you can do is add a tooth to the front sproket while you're learning, and coupled with short shifting really mellow the bike down. Then when you are more comfortable you drop the tooth on the sprocket and you're rollin.

The problem with going to entry level is that if you progress quickly you end up needing a new bike quickly. Also, "slow" bikes also have "slow" suspension which again you end up over riding very quickly.

When I had my CR250 I switch up with a buddy who had a XR400. Even though the XR has significantly less power, I almost killed myself because I totally over estimated the capability of the suspension and rode too hard through some rough stuff. The suspension simply wasn't up to the task and almost pitched me off. I very quickly switched back to my much more capable CR.

Happy hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by Snobike Mike View Post
    When I had my CR250 I switch up with a buddy who had a XR400. Even though the XR has significantly less power, I almost killed myself because I totally over estimated the capability of the suspension and rode too hard through some rough stuff.
    Happy hunting!
    haha reminds me of when my cousins xr200 bucked me off because i hit a stump and the rear shock just bottomed out and bucked my butt off...i agree with you that a 250 should be a good bike...just dont panic and pull the throttle down my cr was up 4 teeth in the back i believe, top end sucked but a lot less wrist pumping in single track when u can leave it in second or and not worry about power.

i like 2 strokes as well because they are much less complicated to work on and you can rebuild an engine in a few hours if you know what ur doing.

Kawi KLX300 is definately the bike for you. Capable of all types of riding. I had a 2003 model last year, after putting a 60$ jet kit in it, and removing exhaust restrictor it flew! I sold it in Nov for $1900, great price.

My brother took it to the track twice, and it handled it great.

Is $1900 for a 98 cr250 in excellent shape too much? has FMF pipe and looks to be well maintained, all seems good except front brake apparently is not functioning properly.

Quote Originally Posted by richi View Post
    Is $1900 for a 98 cr250 in excellent shape too much? has FMF pipe and looks to be well maintained, all seems good except front brake apparently is not functioning properly.

not at all. i sold mine for $1800 in january...bought it for just over 2 grand the september before. my cr was mint...fresh rebuild, fmf system, bars, accel rims, new tires, chain and sprocket...came with 2 sets of plastics, stand, fluids, stock rims...i think i stole it hahaha. very sweet bikes.

Is the cr250 too much for pissing around with on the farm and trails? I heard they can be real finicky? I don't want to do any mods to make it trail ready.

Thanks

Is the cr250 too much for pissing around with on the farm and trails? I heard they can be real finicky? I don't want to do any mods to make it trail ready.

Thanks
    They run best when you ride the **** out of it.

Its a race bike after all.

Maintenance intervals pretty short as well.

i just hate trail bikes so im a bit bias but if you've been riding for a while get a 250 more power then you need and 125's you will run out of power.

$50 sprocket change and the wrist pump action goes away

I keep hearing all this stuff about a flywheel weight is it really needed? or a bigger rear sprocket enough to make it trail friendly?

Also can I ride a MX bike in say Ganaraska as long as I have my membership, plate and insurance? Or is the bike too loud? or whatever? the bike has an fmf shorty with silencer.

I do have lots of experience with street bikes.
    Last edited by richi; 04-18-2010 at 08:13 PM.

I keep hearing all this stuff about a flywheel weight is it really needed? or a bigger rear sprocket enough to make it trail friendly?

Also can I ride a MX bike in say Ganaraska as long as I have my membership, plate and insurance? Or is the bike too loud? or whatever? the bike has an fmf shorty with silencer.

I do have lots of experience with street bikes.
    A heavy flywheel weight takes some of the hit away from the two stroke and smoothes out the power also it makes it less likely to stall the bike.You need a silencer with a spark arrestor something like the turbinecore Q by fmf.If its not too loud you might get away with it,but they do have sound checks at the ganny.