How to get M1 license without knowing any English?!?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get M1 license without knowing any English?!?

How to get M1 license without knowing any English?!?

Hi, my father wants to get an M1 license but the ministry of transportation only offers the test in English... sad but true...

I thought about getting an ministry approved translator/interpreter but they cost like $100 just for them to translate the whole test... Which my dad isn't willing to pay.

So my question is... Are there other ways of getting your M1 license or anyone here have a translator certificate thats willing to help (Will pay a reasonable amount for your time).

Thanks

Re: How to get M1 license without knowing any English?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Sushii View Post
    Hi, my father wants to get an M1 license but the ministry of transportation only offers the test in English... sad but true...
    Really? Why would it be sad? Actually I'm sure the written MTO M1 test is available in many languages. The book, I don't know if it's available in anything else other than English or French.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Really? Why would it be sad? Actually I'm sure the written MTO M1 test is available in many languages. The book, I don't know if it's available in anything else other than English or French.
    I've called and asked in person. M1 is in english ONLY. G1 on the other hand is available in many languages..

P.S Sad because people that came from other parts of the world can't get their license due to the language barrier.

I can pretty much guarantee that it's available in French, too. Official languages, and all that. Not sad at all, as far as I'm concerned.
    Mikey-D - Ottawa

"And yes, this is a site for people who ride bikes. But we don't ride bikes on this site. You can't ride a bike on the internet. On this site, we WRITE and READ about motorcycles." --Duster929

you can request to have a "translator" there, you can represent your father as the translator. boom done problem solved

and you can probably give him all the answers...just make sure he takes a safety course like RTI to further his skills.

hah
    but its our job to end this and ride motorcycles like men...today's society is soft as hell. but riding a 600cc is the least you can do...

Imperialengravers.com --------------
    ------------------------------------
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by djbordie View Post
    you can request to have a "translator" there, you can represent your father as the translator. boom done problem solved

and you can probably give him all the answers...just make sure he takes a safety course like RTI to further his skills.

hah
    I've thought of that but they require a certificate showing that your a certified translator... Hes been riding a bike since i was born so i'm sure he'll be fine lol.

Quote Originally Posted by djbordie View Post

hah
    I was thinking the same thing.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOnion View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Quote "I've thought of that but they require a certificate showing that your a certified translator... Hes been riding a bike since i was born so i'm sure he'll be fine lol."

lol.

Why would this or anything else be offered in another language or why would a translator be available? Are you going to have a translator ride around with you to read the signs for you aswell, no wonder why half the city drives like my 2 year old in her pedal car(actually she watches where she goes)
    Table's they turn sometimes....Payback is a you know what)...

Quote Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
    Why would this or anything else be offered in another language or why would a translator be available? Are you going to have a translator ride around with you to read the signs for you aswell, no wonder why half the city drives like my 2 year old in her pedal car(actually she watches where she goes)
    I don't think language has anything to do with reading a sign... isnt it universal? If you see a 50km/h sign it means thats the speed limit no? This is the written test (M1) not the road test. Signs are visual... most signs don't even have words...So why wouldn't the test be offered in another language? Are you saying that to operate a car you need to be fluent in English?
    Last edited by Sushii; 03-10-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
    And so starts the latent racism..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Not to imply anything but I'll bet many people who get into accidents or other kinds of trouble draw the "I speak no English" card.

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    And so starts the latent racism..
    I agree, GTA is a multi cultural society so i don't see why not to have ministry tests that don't require English to be in only English.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Not to imply anything but I'll bet many people who get into accidents or other kinds of trouble draw the "I speak no English" card.
    How does getting into an accident have anything to do with language? The "I speak no English" is not an excuse saying that it wasn't my fault that the accident happened its telling the person that he doesn't speak English so they'll have to sort it out some other way.

For the most part signs are visual but how would you find your way around, names of streets highways and so are not visual. The use of the vehicle is universal sure but driving in a place were people for the most part can't drive or follow direction even being born and raised here is a dangerous situation. I suppose it just would take time to get to know where your going and so on but still don't beleive it's for the best
    Table's they turn sometimes....Payback is a you know what)...

This is going to derail soon, so let's just say that if ONE service is offered in more languages, so should ANOTHER, especially when both are 80% the same.

Having said that, I think riding/driving are universal enough not to require knowing a specific language to do so - if you don't speak Spanish but want to rent a car in Mexico, would you expect to have to pass a language test?! No - so why is speaking English important to ride/drive here? We don't make foreigners pass language tests to drive on our streets as tourists.

Having said THAT, every resident of ANY country should speak the OFFICIAL language of whichever country that is - NO exceptions. This obviously speaks of a larger issue that has no bearing on the OP's question, so should be ignored as part of this thread.
    where's the wind?!

Isn't it enough that the G1 test is available in most languages? How much more money would the Government have to spend to make the M1 test multilingual as well for a tiny percentage of all motorists? The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Get real dude.

I agree, GTA is a multi cultural society so i don't see why not to have ministry tests that don't require English to be in only English.
    Well, I think the translator thing is an adequate solution. You can't make every test in all languages. But I don't think you have to be fluent in English to drive safely here.
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

At the risk of being called a racist and outcast from society, I think people should learn either French or English before immigrating here.

I've thought of that but they require a certificate showing that your a certified translator... Hes been riding a bike since i was born so i'm sure he'll be fine lol.
    Just because one is experienced, does not mean one can comply with the current laws.

Regarding the language, when the electronic road signs have pertinent info on them, he won;t be able to read them
    http://www.news.ontario.ca/mto/en/20...s-to-read.html

Some road signs are text bases... (not just colours and shapes)

How would your father interpret this sign?

He may collide with a pedestrian who thought it was safe to cross.