Exhaust Chop

Thread: Exhaust Chop

Exhaust Chop

So someone ran into my bike in a parking lot and left a nasty dent on my brand new can- needless to say I was ******. Anyway, shortly after deciding to just deal with it instead of buying a new one I realized if the dent didn't cover too much of it I could probably just chop it. I checked, and sure enough I could salvage about 12" of it.

The can with damage marked at 12" with tape

I decided to remove the Yoshi logo because if I left it the way it was the brace would have gone right over the middle of it and I thought it would've looked sloppy.

The sleeve cut around the circumference with an angle grinder and slid off the core

The easiest way to get the last 6" off was to just cut a slot along the length of it because of the damage

Removed Dent

Removed packing from the good part

Removed End Cap

Sleeve with some visible distortion- I had to put some work into getting this back to a true shape so I could fit the base cap back on. I then drilled out the new holes for the rivets.

I cut the packing to the size of the remaining pipe, wrapped it around the core, and slid the reshaped sleeve over it- This is the easiest way to put it back together without letting the packing material bunch.

I added some RTV silicone and replaced the end cap and started to re-rivet.

Riveting it

Now what to do with the emblem?

My Solution:

Completed Pipe

On the bike

The brace isn't on in these pics but there is about an inch gap between it and the Yoshi Logo.

Overall, I'm very happy with the job and I actually think it would've been a worthwhile project even if the can wasn't damaged.

Here's the sound clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwvFUMrenUA
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

Re: Exhaust Chop

Sounds impressive, looks good, great job.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    He's not the only one with a personality disorder on this website. He just 'acquired' his. Others are born with theirs.

Nice, it looks clean.

looks good!
    would be nice to know how you took out the rivets... did you just drill & punch them or you have another way of doing it?
    was there any change sound-wise after the chop?
    I’d rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

Yeah I just drilled them and pushed them in.

It got a lot louder, especially at first, but now it's quieted down a bit. It's still a bit louder now than it was before, but I'm thinking I'm just gonna put a baffle in it.
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

Awesome job dude. Very well done. And props on the yoshi solution I really like that.

So my Yoshi baffle just came in the mail and I put it on to see how it sounds. It turns out that the baffle quiets the pipe down a LOT more than I anticipated and I didn't want it to be a permanent addition (the baffle is supposed to bolt in but my end cap doesn't have threads so I was gonna JB weld it in)

So instead here is what I did:

Baffle

Drilled a small 3/32 hole where the bolt holes are on the baffle.

Here's the hole

And I put two wood screws in them with washers

I actually had started to thread a 4-40 bolt in and it was cutting its own thread pretty well but somehow I overlooked the fact that they were brass bolts and it sheared so I just ended up going with these instead.

Here's a sound clip as well:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LO-OvXyJL0"]YouTube- Yoshi RS-3 with Baffle[/ame]

You really can't tell in the video but it is MUCH quieter.
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

Good Job!

If u had a dented muffler, I think u could have used an iron pipe to roll the dent out from the inside. This can be done if u have everything taken apart.

But I love the shorty exhaust, I gut mines too.
    Resident Loudmouth

I vote for no baffle!
    I’d rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

You didn't need to use silicone to put the end cap on. I cut down my Yosh pipe to 10" and my brother's to 12" on our F4is. The 2" difference between our pipes made a huge difference in sound with mine being louder and the sound is unique.

I even cut down my carbon fiber Akropovics on my Busa to 9".

Quote Originally Posted by 3M_TA3 View Post
    I vote for no baffle!
    I'm starting to as well especially since it reduced my mileage a bit, but I think my neighbours/ general public that I dont want to piss off would be on the other side of the fence about this.
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter