Bit of confusion about taking M1 Exit Course

Thread: Bit of confusion about taking M1 Exit Course

Bit of confusion about taking M1 Exit Course

Alright, tried searching, couldn't find relevant answers, and it's kind of sad to say that I still have this question, especially after lurking here for at least 3 years.

Basically, you get your M1, are you able to sign up for the soonest safety course which gets you your M2 at the end of it, and then you just wait out the rest of the initial 60 - 90 days to hand in your envelope? Or after getting your M1, do you have to wait 60 days before you're eligible to take the course and pass the M1 Exit during the course? I did a search and found a site that mentioned that you can take the safety course, and wait 60 days do hand in your papers to the MTO, but they also mentioned that you could only get your M1 Written at the MTO so I was assuming it's outdated info.
    Last edited by Cheezes; 03-08-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Re: Bit of confusion about taking M1 Exit Course

I was under the impression you had to get your M1 at the MTO through the written test, no way around it. You can then apply directly for the M2 course, however even if you pass, you do not receive your M2 until 60 days have past since receiving your M1.

" Run as fast as you can, then jump and slide on the pavement. Now think of traveling at 80 MPH and doing the same. Don't be a squid, wear proper gear. "

They actually explain this to you on the first day of the course (in-class portion).

But basically, if you have your M1, you need to have your M1 for a minimum of 60 days before you can get your M2. The M1 expires after 90 days. This is, of course, 60 or 90 days after you pass the test and are given the M1 from the test centre.

Now at any point, even before you get your M1, you can book your course for the desired date. Ideally, you'd get a date near the 60 day marker, but sometimes it isn't easy to pull that off. In any case, say you pass that course and they give you the envelope with your papers in it. Here's what happens:

IF, on that day that you pass the course and successfully obtain your papers, you've had your M1 for more than 60 days, then you can immediately hand in your papers and get your M2.

IF you haven't had your M1 for 60 days yet, then you'd have to wait out the remainder of the time before you're allowed to go in and get your M2.

Does this answer your question?

From what I know.. you take your M1, and then you have to get your M2 within 90 days (the date your M1 expires) but you cannot take your M2 before 60 days. So basically its a AFTER 60, before 90 deal. Make sure to book your college training course (RTI, Sheridan, etc) so that your test date falls upon the 30 days window that you have. For example, I got my M1 Jan 30th 2010. My RTI course / test is on April 18th. See how that falls in the after 60 days / before 90 days rule? Hope that helps!

Ps. Not 100% sure its after 60 before 90.. maybe its after 30 before 90.. so confirm that!

Quote Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
    They actually explain this to you on the first day of the course (in-class portion).

But basically, if you have your M1, you need to have your M1 for a minimum of 60 days before you can get your M2. The M1 expires after 90 days. This is, of course, 60 or 90 days after you pass the test and are given the M1 from the test centre.

Now at any point, even before you get your M1, you can book your course for the desired date. Ideally, you'd get a date near the 60 day marker, but sometimes it isn't easy to pull that off. In any case, say you pass that course and they give you the envelope with your papers in it. Here's what happens:

IF, on that day that you pass the course and successfully obtain your papers, you've had your M1 for more than 60 days, then you can immediately hand in your papers and get your M2.

IF you haven't had your M1 for 60 days yet, then you'd have to wait out the remainder of the time before you're allowed to go in and get your M2.

Yes, I was suspecting this but just needed some quick confirmation, thank you. But by what I said about MTO, I don't count doing the written test at a drive test centre doing it at the MTO, as they're a private company and I should probably reserve my opinions on the level of service that drive test offers, especially after their strike, which did nothing.

Phew! I was momentarily concerned!! I just got my M1 on March 1 and scheduled my RTI course first weekend of April, with a plan to pickup the bike the weekend after and get started. I guess I'll have to wait the following 30 days to hand in the paper work for the M2 and just ride around with M1 conditions in the interim.

You can take the course anytime after obtaining your M1. You ahve to wait a minimum 60 days, maximum 90 days to hand in your papers and obtain your M2. Basically you can write and pass your M1 on Thursday and begin the course on Friday, but still have to wait to hand in your papers upon completion. You do not have to wait 60 days to take the course.

Flashmonkey and red dragon are absolutely correct. I wrote my M1 test, passed and went straight to Sheridan to book the safety course and did it 3 weeks later (thankfully before the strike!). Only thing that sucked was waiting for the 60 days to be up so that I could go upgrade my license to an M2!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezes View Post
    Yes, I was suspecting this but just needed some quick confirmation, thank you. But by what I said about MTO, I don't count doing the written test at a drive test centre doing it at the MTO, as they're a private company and I should probably reserve my opinions on the level of service that drive test offers, especially after their strike, which did nothing.
    The service sucks haha. Don't expect much.

Oh and there's no better feeling in the world than riding to the MTO to hand in your papers and get your M2.

Have fun out there!

Got my M1 a few weeks ago. I have my M1 exit course in guelph May 8th weekend. wooooooo

You need your M1 to take the course. You can take the couse right away after you receive your M1 permit. When you pass the course you will receive a sealed envolop which must be handed in to one of the Drive Test Centres between 60 to 90 days after you recive your M1 (1 month window)

cheers

welcome and have fun at the course

+1 he is 100% correct. you are fine. you just wont be able to hand in your papers at mto right away, you;ll just have to wait a bit.
    2008 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2009 Triumph Street Triple
    2007 Yamaha YZF-R6
    2004 Yamaha YZ-125
    2002 Yamaha TTR-225
    2001 Yamaha TTR-125L

Quote Originally Posted by vinehanger View Post
    From what I know.. you take your M1, and then you have to get your M2 within 90 days (the date your M1 expires) but you cannot take your M2 before 60 days. So basically its a AFTER 60, before 90 deal. Make sure to book your college training course (RTI, Sheridan, etc) so that your test date falls upon the 30 days window that you have. For example, I got my M1 Jan 30th 2010. My RTI course / test is on April 18th. See how that falls in the after 60 days / before 90 days rule? Hope that helps!
    I'm too lazy to ready the whole thread so I apologize if this is duplicate info.

You DON'T need your M1 to take the M1 exit course, but that'll just delay how long you have to wait to get "upgraded" to your M2. The course M2 certificate is valid for 6 months (maybe a year? can't remember), but even if you're not eligible for your M2 in that amount of time, you can pay $15 to have it reissued and upgrade then.

Also, don't worry about your M1 expiring!!! Write your M1 TODAY even if you don't plan on taking the course for 8 months or whatever! Just re-write your M1 test before the 90 days is up and you get a 90 day extension on your M1 but you DON'T have to wait the 60 days (say if you had to renew your M1 the day before the course, but you already had your M1 for 90 days, boom, you can go right to M2).

I've even heard of people who let their M1 expire and when you go in with your M2 papers, they see you've "recently" had your M1 for 90 days, so they make you write your M1 test again, but instead of getting your M1 you get your M2.

Trust me, I had my M1 for three years

Make sense?? WRITE YOUR M1 RIGHT NOW DAMMIT!

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...