Obtaining M1

Thread: Obtaining M1

Obtaining M1

Hi all,

I'm planning on picking up a bike this summer. I did some research regarding licensing and just wanted to confirm with you guys on the process of writing the test. Do I just need to memorize some material and do a written? Theres no road test for the M1? Also, is there a book that the ministry sells (similar to G1) for the M1...? or if anyone is selling it? Also, is the cost only $15?

Thanks

Re: Obtaining M1

Quote Originally Posted by ddzc View Post
    Hi all,

I'm planning on picking up a bike this summer. I did some research regarding licensing and just wanted to confirm with you guys on the process of writing the test. Do I just need to memorize some material and do a written? Theres no road test for the M1? Also, is there a book that the ministry sells (similar to G1) for the M1...? or if anyone is selling it? Also, is the cost only $15?

Thanks
    You read two books - the rules/signs (used for G1) and the motorcycle book. Each book is $15.

The written test will be 20 questions on rules (must get 16 right), 20 on signs (must get 16 right), and 24 motorcycle-specific questions. There is no driving test for M1.

The cost for exam was $17.50 - if you tell them that you are taking a (safety) course at Humber, RTI, etc.

M1 is only good for 90 days.

make sure you take the course even if you have a little bit of experience, you will learn some extremely valuable info and get a reduced rate from your insurance company, Sheridan is the best and they have 3 locations, Brampton, Oakville and Burlington, cost is $460, Thursday eve from 6-10pm in class, ride all day Saturday and Sunday, test is around 3:30 Sunday, good luck.

Moderator Moderator TheGradyTrain's Avatar

Welcome to the board.

As for your M1 as mentioned review both the M1 and G1 handbooks. Don't worry about buying them. Just visit your local library, they should have them.

Here is a CSC Rider Training Link for Ontario They all operate from the same manual. Cost will vary slightly from one site to the next. Probably best to take the one closest to home.

Good luck with it all.

You can actually get the whole car book online for free pdf. version from the MTO website I believe but I don't know about the motorcycle one. Also, gunner is right about taking the course, its fun and you'll learn alot of stuff. Although I'm going to have to disagree that Humber is the best. I would suggest RTI (www.ridertraining.ca) They have about 9 locations.
    'Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly'

Chapters carries both of them. Find a nice secluded spot in the store and give yourself 2-3 hours to read them.

FYI, the M1 test is simply the G1 test but with 24 additional questions specific to motorcycles. This is why your M1 also functions as a G1, but not vice versa.

Welcome!
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

M1 is super easy. takes about 25 minutes to read the handbook. you should be able to pass the test right after providing you still remember the things they would ask on a G1 test.

Test costs $17.50. Ifyou fail a section, they let you see what you got wrong and you can retake that section right then and there for another $10.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    FYI, the M1 test is simply the G1 test but with 24 additional questions specific to motorcycles. This is why your M1 also functions as a G1, but not vice versa.

Welcome!
    Umm, you gotta read the motorcycle book again.. With M2 you can operate a G1, with M1 you cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Umm, you gotta read the motorcycle book again.. With M2 you can operate a G1, with M1 you cannot.
    Oh, really? My bad! If that is true, it is stupid . . . the M1 test IS the G1 test with added questions.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Oh, really? My bad! If that is true, it is stupid . . . the M1 test IS the G1 test with added questions.
    I agree with you . Just wanted to show off after getting my M1 1.5 weeks ago.

You can download some samples for the specific Motorcycle Questions on Torrent from here

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4210...book_M1_M2.pdf

And the Rules & Sign questions... hum...i dont have any other source for that.

Just pass mine this Tuesday at 777 Bay! Not that hard if you read your stuff thoroughly.

Good luck
    Tom
    Yamaha 07 R6 Charcoal

Go to Chapters, read the G1 book and the Motorcycle handbook.

Go to the drive test centres and write the test (no appointment required) cost you $17.50 in total tax in. No riding skills will be tested!

Welcome & good luck

I got my M1 this January and they gave me my M1 and G1 for passing the test, but I had to pay $130 (the fee for each test).

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    The written test will be 20 questions on rules (must get 16 right), 20 on signs (must get 16 right), and 24 motorcycle-specific questions. There is no driving test for M1.
    Of the 24 motorcycle-specific questions, you must get 19 right.