When to Purchase Gear? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to Purchase Gear?

Re: When to Purchase Gear?

I'd suggest wait till after your course to get your gear. You're not even sure if you'll get parental approval or have the funds to buy the bike yet.

For the M2 course, you can rent a helmet, or borrow one from a buddy. You just need thick gloves (leather winter gloves will do), a decent jacket (jean jacket will do too) and taller boots that cover your ankle. These do not have to be motorcycle specific gear.

Quote Originally Posted by omee66 View Post
    Hey guys,
    Secondly, being a student on a budget, my plan was to get everything online though Sportbiketrackgear, in order to save a few dollars through their deals. The only issue I though of would be helmet sizing as I should probably try the helmet on for proper fit. I guess boots, gloves and jacket shouldn't be that bad as they're roughly standard sizing.
    If you're on a budget, you could invest in slightly used gear. Sometimes you can snag some good deals (I wouldn't suggest buying the helmet used though). You don't have to pay taxes or shipping fees, customs etc. Look through the for sale section here or on kijiji.ca You're planning to ride NEXT spring. You have one full year to get your gear together, that's plenty of time.

^^^^^ +1

rent or borrow gear for the course, and then you have a full year to drop in on sales. royal distributing will be having their no tax sale sometime in april. a lot of shops have end of season sales, and at the end of the season you will find a lot of people throwing up used jackets, gloves, pants, boots, etc. keep yer eyes open.
    2008 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2009 Triumph Street Triple
    2007 Yamaha YZF-R6
    2004 Yamaha YZ-125
    2002 Yamaha TTR-225
    2001 Yamaha TTR-125L

Thanks a lot for the help, guys!
    And for what it is worth, I got my M1 last week and cannot wait for the M2 course.

In body: Hamilton... In spirit, Switzerland!

WHen it comes to gear, do your homework. Read lots of reviews.

Don't skimp as I'm sure everyone else tells ya. If money is tight and you cannot afford higher end gear, find it at lower prices in the states once you've found your size and then have it shipped.

Problem with Canadian dealerships is, half of the stock is DOG old from early 2000s or something (Just look at lots of the boots and gloves) and they still think they can extort people with some of the prices.
    "Izz dangerous..... Izz dangerous not only you... but... all deh fackeen idiot who ride deh car" - Rossi, FASTER

dude, check kijiji for sure. I just picked up a jacket and gloves (both Joe Rocket) for $90. all I need is a helmet and some boots and I'm all set

Quote Originally Posted by omee66 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the help, guys!
    And for what it is worth, I got my M1 last week and cannot wait for the M2 course.
    If your M1 runs out before you finish the course, when you take it again for the course you wont have to wait to get your M2 if you pass since you will have already did the mandatory 90 days

Anyway

Go to a local shop and find gear the fits well, it's a shop and most arent too forthcoming but try some stuff out, get a bucket that fits well and and buy second gear when you get a bike. Tons of great deals on this site alone.

Get the orange Bucket to do your course man, they look ghetto as hell why spend money on a lid when you dont know about the rest.

Good luck
    The artist formely known as Frenchfry

http://www.perfmoto.com/ this place has the best deals in North America Free shipping to Canada and very very friendly and willing to negotiate pricing on gear I have saved hundreds with them on my Icon gear, iv also recomended friends and they have saved hundreds, before placing your order call them upp and make a deal with them they will almost always shed some dollars off your order . Your going to pay GST and PST were ever you go and maybe you might get lucky and not get charged at customs. The USD is on par with the CDN.

I understand buying from your local shop to an extent but im sorry when I save hundreds on 2009/2010 gear cya later local shops. I also find most shops in the Hamilton area are Scammers. I enjoy Dewildt Honda (never had a problem) and I enjoy Kellys cycle but Dewidlt is my favorite, Sturgess and Burlington cycle take advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Favre View Post
    http://www.perfmoto.com/ this place has the best deals in North America Free shipping to Canada and very very friendly and willing to negotiate pricing on gear I have saved hundreds with them on my Icon gear, iv also recomended friends and they have saved hundreds, before placing your order call them upp and make a deal with them they will almost always shed some dollars off your order . Your going to pay GST and PST were ever you go and maybe you might get lucky and not get charged at customs. The USD is on par with the CDN.

I understand buying from your local shop to an extent but im sorry when I save hundreds on 2009/2010 gear cya later local shops. I also find most shops in the Hamilton area are Scammers. I enjoy Dewildt Honda (never had a problem) and I enjoy Kellys cycle but Dewidlt is my favorite, Sturgess and Burlington cycle take advantage.

hey, not too sure how the prices are cheapppeer than local shops... a Shoei TZR Sentry for example sells for under 350 while these guys retail them for 375.... ????
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by zone01racer View Post
    hey, not too sure how the prices are cheapppeer than local shops... a Shoei TZR Sentry for example sells for under 350 while these guys retail them for 375.... ????
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-S...ht_3738wt_1135

254.00 I can almost guarantee you hed drop it to atleast $225.00 My Icon Airframe was dropped from $250 - $165 THE MSRP alone is over 300US. Iv recomended this guy to all my friends and they have never seen such cheap prices. .