When to Purchase Gear?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to Purchase Gear?

When to Purchase Gear?

Hey guys,
    This is sort of an odd set of questions, so bear with me.

I'm saving up for a >2008 Ninja 250, associated insurance costs as well as gear. I signed up for the Gearing Up course in December as spots fill up fast and am scheduled for end of April.

As I need gear for the course, I am unsure if I should drop the ~$600 bucks right now and get brand new riding gear. My plan is, if all goes well (money-wise) and parents finally budge, to ride / purchase the bike next Spring. By then I'll be 18 and hopefully with a full G as well so insurance might be lower than now.

I'm not sure if by then I will have outgrown the riding gear physically, or if it is recommended to have the gear I'll be riding with before (or after) the training course. Should I wait? But then what will I do for the riding course?

Secondly, being a student on a budget, my plan was to get everything online though Sportbiketrackgear, in order to save a few dollars through their deals. The only issue I though of would be helmet sizing as I should probably try the helmet on for proper fit. I guess boots, gloves and jacket shouldn't be that bad as they're roughly standard sizing.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can figure out helmet sizing so I can get the right one the first time around? Is getting it online going to save me the couple of bucks I'm looking at saving or will I be nabbed with other taxes and such making it not worth it?

Thanks so much. Am just a little confused and so damn interested in riding.

Re: When to Purchase Gear?

for helmets go to your local store and try them on all helmets fit different!

Just wondering if the associates there will mind me not buying from them

what they dont know wont hurt them!

If possible just head down to a local bike store (don't know whats out in Ottawa) and try on everything.

Just as a heads up, sometimes when you buy stuff online from the States, you might get nailed with extra taxes when it crosses the border. The amount of time it takes for shipping can sometimes be unpredictable too. And don't forget to factor in the exchange rate. Unless the price difference is huge, I'd just recommend supporting your local bike stores and buying from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonaz View Post
    If possible just head down to a local bike store (don't know whats out in Ottawa) and try on everything.
    is there an echo in here?

What they said ^^

But as great SPTG is, try not to buy from them just because of the taxes and fees you have to pay to get it. I ordered a helmet from them and with the fees I had to pay when it got here, I might as well have bought it local. You can always rent a helmet. I rented mine for $30 with tax included and when I returned the helmet, I got a $25 voucher for a helmet. Also, try to find a cheap leather jacket at your local thrift store and just buy some work gloves with padding or equivalent material. Then you can buy your real gear when you actually get your bike. And if you have them, go to the Motorcycle Shows. They usually have SOME good deals. Don't expect alot.
    'Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly'

While you may see great deals at US stores, don't forget to factor in Shipping, and custom duties and clearing charges if they use FedEx or UPS.

Also as suggested earlier go to your local store and try everything on first including the Jacket and Boots as well as the Helmet every manufacturer is slightly different so its best to know what works for you first. Then if the price differential is really big go ahead and order online, else cost of returns etc.. is yours to bear and you had no deal.

If you're going to take the course, I recommend you to rent a helmet if you can (some stores offer rentals for course or rent from a friend)

I wouldn't jump into buying brand new gear, wear jeans and denim jacket for the course and boots that cover your ankle. You won't be sure if you enjoying riding or not till after the course. Plus you need time to break into some of the new gear, you won't enjoying the course with a body of new stuff.

just my 2 cents

When I started out, I bought an HJC Helmet brand new from royal for about 130. Leather Gloves for 50 , and a used leather joe rocket coat off this forum for 80. About 250 and I was ready to roll. you don't need to drop 600 to start out. Good luck, check out kijji and this forum for deals here and there. Agian good luck and be safe

If I were in your situation I'd either buy used stuff (aside from the helmet) on kijiji or such or go with a cheap, online store like newenough.com - got a Teknic jacket from them for $40US. Another for $80US - I've seen the same jacket at the recent bike show for $250CAN so even with shipping and duties you're still saving money.

Try everything on for size at your local store, different brands don't fit the same.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Quote Originally Posted by icecube172 View Post
    If you're going to take the course, I recommend you to rent a helmet if you can (some stores offer rentals for course or rent from a friend)

I wouldn't jump into buying brand new gear, wear jeans and denim jacket for the course and boots that cover your ankle. You won't be sure if you enjoying riding or not till after the course. Plus you need time to break into some of the new gear, you won't enjoying the course with a body of new stuff.

just my 2 cents
    +1
    Also what are you going to do in the meanwhile, walk around the house wearing all your motorcycle gear?
    Don't put the cart before the horse. Sign up and pass the test. You might decide that a 250 is too small. You might want to matchy poo all your gear to the new bike. Then again you might dump the bike, fail your test, break your leg and never get on a bike again (yes, its been known to happen). Take it a step at a time.
    Got Torque?

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    If I were in your situation I'd either buy used stuff (aside from the helmet) on kijiji or such or go with a cheap, online store like newenough.com - got a Teknic jacket from them for $40US. Another for $80US - I've seen the same jacket at the recent bike show for $250CAN so even with shipping and duties you're still saving money.

Try everything on for size at your local store, different brands don't fit the same.
    +2

I bought all my gear 1st season from Newenough.com. Gloves for $35, Jacket for $135, helmet for $100. About $300CDN all together and that wasn't even the cheapest option they had.

Later when you upgrade to better gear, you'll have a backup set of gear or if you choose to sell, you can get a pretty decent amount back since you bought cheap in the first place.

Also try used gear from the classified section on GTAM, they have some good deals there all the time.

Sorry, I didn't read all the posts but you can always borrow used equipment from a friend that rides, or post a thread asking people to lend you their spear gear for the course, so you can learn about gear from now till you are ready to purchase your bike. I find the more people educate themselves about riding and gear, the better gear choices they make.

Thank you very much for the responses.
    They're all very strong arguments and all have given me much to think about.

I think as it stands, it makes most sense to wait and then figure out whether or not I'd like to take the chance of ordering across border (factoring in duties and such) closer to when I start riding.

I guess that would be the safest as it would ensure I don't grow out of the gear by then (doubtful, but possible).

The biggest deal for me is finding a place to rent right now. I don't know many people who ride here and after checking with the riding school, I am unable to rent from there. They're pretty tough on what you ride with, I've heard.

I'll call in to the local dealerships (ones that sell gear) and see if they can hook me up. Otherwise, I'll just hit Kijiji and pick up some <$100 helmet that will do for now (before I get flamed: I'll upgrade when I get the bike).

Just out of curiosity, though. How bad were the duty fees and taxes from Newenough (for those who ordered from there)?

And on the subject-- while I'm not worried about dropping the bike during test, breaking my leg, finding the 250 to be too small or failing the course, I think parents are still border-line iffy about letting me get a motorcycle. Therefore, it is probably wise to get them to make a decision BEFORE I drop 600 bucks on just the gear alone. Especially because university is coming up soon. Plus, the bank account likes being that much fuller .

Thanks again, you guys are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by omee66 View Post
    Thank you very much for the responses.
    They're all very strong arguments and all have given me much to think about.

I think as it stands, it makes most sense to wait and then figure out whether or not I'd like to take the chance of ordering across border (factoring in duties and such) closer to when I start riding.

I guess that would be the safest as it would ensure I don't grow out of the gear by then (doubtful, but possible).

The biggest deal for me is finding a place to rent right now. I don't know many people who ride here and after checking with the riding school, I am unable to rent from there. They're pretty tough on what you ride with, I've heard.

I'll call in to the local dealerships (ones that sell gear) and see if they can hook me up. Otherwise, I'll just hit Kijiji and pick up some <$100 helmet that will do for now (before I get flamed: I'll upgrade when I get the bike).

Just out of curiosity, though. How bad were the duty fees and taxes from Newenough (for those who ordered from there)?

And on the subject-- while I'm not worried about dropping the bike during test, breaking my leg, finding the 250 to be too small or failing the course, I think parents are still border-line iffy about letting me get a motorcycle. Therefore, it is probably wise to get them to make a decision BEFORE I drop 600 bucks on just the gear alone. Especially because university is coming up soon. Plus, the bank account likes being that much fuller .

I have some extra gear (pants, jacket, gloves) you can borrow from me for the course, don't know how big your head is but I have also an extra small helmet you can borrow, pm me if you want

Edit: Just noticed your addrers is Ottawa, sorry body, i'm in TO

Thanks a lot for the offer, really does mean a lot.
    If only I had a bike to get down there and pick it up, haha.

I'm going to look around at the classified section to see if I can pick up cheapo helmet and gloves. The rest I'll try and fudge (i.e. work boots, denim jeans and jacket, etc.)

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by omee66 View Post
    I think parents are still border-line iffy about letting me get a motorcycle. Therefore, it is probably wise to get them to make a decision BEFORE I drop 600 bucks on just the gear alone. Especially because university is coming up soon. Plus, the bank account likes being that much fuller .

You've been given good advice about renting the helmet at Parker Brothers.
    You've also been given good advice about where to look for sales.
    Cross-border purchases can be difficult from the perspective of not being able to try on the goods before the purchase and shipping costs can be huge. I wouldn't buy a helmet without trying it on and knowing what a good fit actually is. Each style and manufacturer is different. A XL in one type, can be a Medium in another.
    As for mom and pops. My advice is as long as you live under their roof its their rules. I've seen some individuals advocate sneaking about the process but I personally believe thats a recipe for ongoing disaster. When you're out on your own...do what you want.
    As for university. Don't incur more debts than you really have to. Pay only in cash for the "toys", they're not an investment. NEVER finance a bike. If all the cash you can afford is a used moped or a 1980's "classic", then thats what you ride. Many of us have been there.
    Got Torque?

Agree 100% with every point. Except Parker Brothers is in Toronto and I am in Ottawa.

I also would never try to sneak around parents. My plan is to get them to accept it over the next year otherwise I'll wait until it does happen.

I admit I've thought about financing the bike but I've really thought about it and as you say, 'toys' should be paid in cash. That's why I've hit the Excel spreadsheets and planned out when the best time would be to buy the bike (in full, cash, with extra left around for repairs and one year of insurance).

kijij or royal distributing's spring sale is a great time.