24 in 24

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 24 in 24

24 in 24

I've decide in trying for my 2400km in 24 hours this year. I will look at attempting it in May 2010. My start and end point will be the Petro Canada gas station at Heart Lake Rd and Sandlewood. From there it's to Windsor then to Montmagny Quebec and back to Brampton. GPS = 2428km. All on the 401/410. I did the Lower Great Lakes a few years ago with the Zen riders.

Garry
    IBAID 26718
    BMWMOA 117552
    2011 K1600GTL NOW RIDING
    2007 Piaggio MP3 (wifes)

Re: 24 in 24

your going to have a sore *** by the end of it !

Good luck to ya"! That's a helluva goal and one big notch on belt.
    Cheers
    Aminal
    In the breeze

are you trying to do one of the ironbutt rides?
    http://www.ironbutt.com/

I have done Halifax-Waterloo (2000km) in 30 hrs, I was rolling off the bike after that
    Last edited by kw-ont-75; 03-07-2010 at 09:28 AM.

Good luck. I did 1600 in 16 hours a couple years ago (home from the gap). I didn't find it that bad. Pic in my signature is from the start of the journey. Didn't document it, or go through all the hoops to get my iron butt though.
    http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/306/signaturelj4.jpg

Damn....I thought this was going to be about beer
    Sorry, Luke. I'm just doing my job. You gotta appreciate that. Nah, calling it your job don't make it right Boss.

Quote Originally Posted by hdsomeday View Post
    Damn....I thought this was going to be about beer
    What, a 24 in 24 mins? You'd need a shunt installed in your stomach to even have a chance.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by kw-ont-75 View Post
    are you trying to do one of the ironbutt rides?
    http://www.ironbutt.com/

I have done Halifax-Waterloo (2000km) in 30 hrs, I was rolling off the bike after that
    I already have done 1 IronButt an I am a member of the IronButt Association. I did the Lower Great Lakes.

Garry
    IBAID 26718
    BMWMOA 117552
    2011 K1600GTL NOW RIDING
    2007 Piaggio MP3 (wifes)

so if you go to Windsor then to Quebec your gonna back track all your ride

I dont want to sound negative but i really dont see the point of running all those miles in a row with absolutely nothing to look at or any decent roads to run. all 401/410? why would anyone want to do that? sorry i just dont see the attraction. sure your endurance is admirable but in the end where is your entertainment? are you actually entertained by setting these kinds of goals and then acheiving them? i get the iron butt rally because of it's competition factor and how difficult it is on machine and man(or woman). but this is merely riding high miles for the sake of riding high miles. no bonus stages, no last minute route changes, no competition between participants. again i dont mean to be negative(but it sure seems that i am) but i just dont see why you would do it. maybe you could explain what drives you and why you do this. i am probably not alone.
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

Isn't there an organized Saddle Sore 1000 (1609 km) out of London every two or three years? They have a nice round route, up through Northbay, down into Quebec, then back along the 401 to London.

This would come up short of your 2400 km goal though...
    o~`o
    VSRI #1930
    The most common problem with motorcycles is the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by roadhamr View Post
    I dont want to sound negative but i really dont see the point of running all those miles in a row with absolutely nothing to look at or any decent roads to run. all 401/410? why would anyone want to do that?
    I suspect part of it is just because he can. Its a a personal challenge, a goal, a measurable achievement. It's not the kind of thing I can see myself doing it but I can understand the appeal.

I commute on my bike every day I possibly can. It's 58km each way and heading in I normally take one of two ways. I've done that for a few years now and last week commuted 6 days into work. I was talking with a friend late last week and it occurred to me that I don't really know why I love it so much. You would think riding over the same roads each day would be boring but for some reason I can't wait to do so on the bike. On the way home on occasion I'll take a real long way but didn't last week. You would think that after 6 dayus nof commuting I would be tired of riding but Sunday I went for a solo ride and did about 400 km. I still loved ever moment of it.

..Tom

ps: I'm just heading out to do some domestic stuff (shopping, etc.) I'll be doing that by bike as well.
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

i completely understand the passion for riding, i think we all do. but there is a point where it is not so enjoyable. i for one make sure i stop before that ever happens to preserve my love of riding. i went into the business of motorcycles because i loved it and then left motorcycling for awhile because i was over saturated in it. i dont like being on the superslab in a car let alone a bike, and it just seems a bit like it is mileage for the sake of mileage. i mean if you were raising money for charity or something maybe that woudl raise the stakes a bit. again i am not wishing to be negative, and i dont think my questioning what you are doing is going to change or even effect what you are doing anyways but i am trying to understand. v tom your comments about your commute have very little in common with 2400kms in 24 hrs along the 401/410. i can understand wanting to be on the bike but we are talking about pushing the limits of your ability to focus. i just wondering what makes someone want to do that?
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

Good luck Gary.
    Having heard your riding resume you're the type of guy who can pull this off. I'm sure the BMW will be a trusty steed for this ride.

~steven - south central 'ssauga

i can understand wanting to be on the bike but we are talking about pushing the limits of your ability to focus. i just wondering what makes someone want to do that?
    Marathoners, Iron Man participants, mountain climbers, Great lake swimmers, Motorcycle racers... why do they do it? Because they can!

I dont want to sound negative but i really dont see the point of running all those miles in a row with absolutely nothing to look at or any decent roads to run. all 401/410? why would anyone want to do that? sorry i just dont see the attraction.
    It's kind of like the need to join or form a motorcycle club. Some people see a reason, and some people don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chinto View Post
    It's kind of like the need to join or form a motorcycle club. Some people see a reason, and some people don't.
    very good chinto, but i can quantify my desire or reason as it is put by you. i am only wondering what makes this kind of cat tick. i see the allure of the iron butt rally. i understand the because it is there philosophy. i am just trying to get some insight into what drives people to make these kinds of choices. i am coming at this from a standpoint of curiousity. where are you coming from?
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

very good chinto, but i can quantify my desire or reason as it is put by you. i am only wondering what makes this kind of cat tick. i see the allure of the iron butt rally. i understand the because it is there philosophy. i am just trying to get some insight into what drives people to make these kinds of choices. i am coming at this from a standpoint of curiousity. where are you coming from?
    Not coming from anywhere. Just pointing out that everyone enjoys and desires different things from motorcycling. There was no venom in my post.

Some riders are looking for camaraderie, some are looking for a sense of accomplishment, some aren't looking for anything....The list goes on.

... v tom your comments about your commute have very little in common with 2400kms in 24 hrs along the 401/410. i can understand wanting to be on the bike but we are talking about pushing the limits of your ability to focus. i just wondering what makes someone want to do that?
    My point (evidently poorly expressed) is that I do what I do because I enjoy doing it. Others look on and think of all kind of reasons why I'm crazy and why not to do it but I like it and do it just the same. And ultimately that's all that matters to me.

24 hours of steady riding would be too much for me at my age unless it was an extreme emergency, but certainly it was within my abilities 20 years ago when I was younger (and went 48 hours without sleep when my first child was born.)

It's not something I would enjoy but I can completely understand it.

..Tom
    Last edited by V-Tom; 03-08-2010 at 04:41 PM.
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

OK, here goes, Why do people climb mountains? Why do people jump out of airplanes? Why do people explore regions they never have been? I want to do it to see if I could do it. Simple as that. Yes it may be boring to some people but it is a challenge, me, my motorcycle and time, I enjoy the challenge. You may not want to do challenging things, this doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.

Garry
    IBAID 26718
    BMWMOA 117552
    2011 K1600GTL NOW RIDING
    2007 Piaggio MP3 (wifes)