Cruiser beginner bikes? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cruiser beginner bikes?

Re: Cruiser beginner bikes?

Honda Shadow 750. If you go with a newer style, like the Spirit, they come with a shaft drive.

These bikes are bullet proof. I put over 60K on mine and sold it with 100K on the ODO.

I think the Shadow 750 only has 38HP so don't worry about it being overpowered for him.

It doesn't matter though. My Shadow took me all across Canada without problems.

~steven - south central 'ssauga

i think thats a great plan, shaft driven 750...bulletproof for my mechanically challenged friend
    but its our job to end this and ride motorcycles like men...today's society is soft as hell. but riding a 600cc is the least you can do...

Imperialengravers.com --------------
    ------------------------------------
    ---------------------------

If you go with Shadow check out Suzuki Marauder VZ800. If you go with Honda check out last gen. Magna VF750. It's sweet...

Those Magnas are pretty sweet. The 90-degree 'L-Twin' will make it sound almost Ducati-ish for a cruiser, vs. the more traditional v-twin potato potato, but it's alright. I don't mind my L.

prices are great on those, he LOVEs the look.

gotta get him signed up RTI before we make any moves..

but if i had his money, id buy a 1098...
    but its our job to end this and ride motorcycles like men...today's society is soft as hell. but riding a 600cc is the least you can do...

Imperialengravers.com --------------
    ------------------------------------
    ---------------------------

V-rod
    Night Rod Special

Quote Originally Posted by djbordie View Post
    Do i ever agree with you...! and i want him to get an sv650 or ninja 250...but realistically hes more of a cruiser type guy...

to each his own...

maybe his mind will change after trying the maurader and the cbr 125 with RTI
    When I took my course at RTI I immediately went for the maurader, because I'm not a sport bike guy. I ended up doing the whole course on the CBR125 because I'm 6ft and my knees hit the bars on the maurader. Still don't want an SS...

My dad started on a 1983 Honda CM250, its a tiny little belt driven cruiser.

He's about the same size as me, 5'11, pushing 200 pounds. I wouldn't recommend a bike with that little horsepower to anyone. He was fine with it, but I went riding and it was scary how much it vibrates, how slow it is on the top end. It doesn't go past 100.

Finally got him to pick up a 500cc cruiser this year, since speed or power isn't a concern for him. But the new bike will at least be a bit more capable.

On the flip side, I've got a buddy who wants to get into riding, and his body type (obese) is suited to a cruiser.

Unfortunately, he works with a bunch of idiots who think maximum CC is the only way to start. Anything short of 1100 cc's is a waste.

My buddy managed to roll a pick-up truck on a straight road, so I'm not exactly encouraging him to get a bike. Luckily he can't afford one right now.

Don't worry about a cruiser being over powered for a beginner. My V-Rod was my first bike and riding it is like riding a tri-cycle.
    Night Rod Special

Quote Originally Posted by Royson View Post
    My dad started on a 1983 Honda CM250, its a tiny little belt driven cruiser.
    Weird thing is, the CM-250 is the precursor to the CMX-250 (a.k.a. the Honda Rebel)... only the Rebel never got belt drive, it got a chain. I used to own an '85
    Last edited by adri; 03-05-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Since everyone is sharing stories... I got my licence last year and picked up a 1980 Honda CX500 as a first bike. I have little riding experience and wanted something that I could control and learn on. I am 6'2" and 250lbs but I still made lots of novice mistakes which, if I had a larger bike would have been horrible.

With that said, I decided it is time to move up so I did a lot of internet research and decided to go with the vStar 1100 for a few reasons, most of which revolve around the fact that I found an absolutle mint one at an unbeatable price!

Depending on the budget, tell him to make sure he buys something with all the accessories already on it (saddlebags, windshield etc.) as that stuff adds up real quick. He may save $400 on a naked bike and then end up spending $1,000 to dress it up!

Of course everyone has their opinions. My vote would be Vstar 1100, Vulcan 900 or Boulevard C50 in the cruiser line. All affordable, won't be in a hurry to upgrade, powerful and heavy enough to give you stability and piece of mind on the highway (I'd add that the VStar 950 be included but too new and too expensive). The 250's and 500's have their own headaches such as over steering, being blown around by every truck on the road, uncomfortable for someone over 6'.

My 2 cents worth ...

Quote Originally Posted by djbordie View Post
    Hey all, never posted in here...hah

so a buddy of mine is dying to get riding, I am trying my darnedest to get him started.

Hes dead set on a cruiser style bike (no issues there, just have no knowledge o this stuff)

Please post your recommendations regarding a beginner cruiser bike.
    250-600 cc or whatever works.

Realistic price range, no harlies here...

Thanks a bunch!
    You can't buy a bike FOR someone. You can't usually even SUGGEST a bike FOR someone.
    Its such a very individual experience. If you're lucky you may be able to suggest some known clunkers to stay away from. It comes down to comfort level, experience level & a ton of intangibles like "do I see myself riding this bike" "does it fit who I see myself as" "how do I look in matching gear" or do I care? As for the Harley comment...not all Harley's are pricey, look at the 883, but if your friend is willing to take all the "girly bike" comments in stride its a fun flickable little runner to the coffee shop that is still a Harley. I take it your friend hasn't done the M2 course otherwise he still wouldn't be dying get riding, he'd be dying to get the fat spring issue of Biketrader and start shopping. Let that be his intial guide as to what he prefers.
    Last edited by zoomerthe1; 03-13-2010 at 07:57 PM.
    Got Torque?

He'll figure it all out anyway. When I got into it I was in love with sportbikes... Four bikes later I've still never owned one, with no intent to (any time soon). I've found what works for me, it wasn't what I originally thought, but I came around.

Quote Originally Posted by 90GT_Cobra View Post
    Since everyone is sharing stories...
    Okay, Ill bite

In 1992 (or sooner, the memory is going at my age, lol) I got my first ride... a sport style 1982 Yamaha Seca 400... Wasn't my 1st choice, wasn't a choice at all, other than being 'the bike I could afford'.

I really loved it. Although I can't say I ever felt that it was too small I absolutely had thoughts about something bigger (especially when I tried a friends shaft-drive Nighthawk (650? 750?) in a parking lot, but back to the point...

What I *didn't* like about the bike, at least what sticks in my mind to this day, is the lack of a faring or windshield I didn't even mind the weight - sure it was like going on a horizontal roller-coaster riding the highway 37 Novato-Vallejo route (two lanes, undivided, average speed 65+ mph with lots of big-rigs) but that just added to the excitement.

In 1996 I sold the bike and moved to the east coast. Now, 14 years later I'm finally thinking (seriously this time) about getting back on a motorcycle. I gotta say the C50 has my eye, but obviously I should go sit on a few rides before settling on something.

Hopefully I'll soon be joining you cruisers around the GTA and beyond!

Well if things don't work out this weekend, i'll have a C50SE posted for sales monday
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

My Beginner Bike (and current bike) is a 1982 Yamaha Virago 750

It is tall enough for me and has enough power (but not too much)

For a cruiser 750 is not too big for a beginner. One thing I do recommend is to take the Motorcycle Safety Course (even if you already have your M2 or M)

I agree with the comment about the 750 cruiser not being too big. I learned on a Honda Shadow Spirit 750 and it was perfect...easy to ride but not limiting (able to drive on the highway, able to keep up with traffic, etc.). I wouldn't have wanted a smaller bike.

Funny... I learnt on a 400 and it was perfect... easy to ride but not too limiting

You'll hear the same from 250 learners, I suppose...

To be serious, however, even the 400 was, quite frankly, more juice than any young mail rider ought to have, in my humble opinion... I could see 600-800ish for more mature (i.e. lower testosterone) riders being somewhat safe (in a relative way - it is motorcycling after all) but if I had a newb asking me about a first ride I'd be quite adamant to get 250cc's or less for the first bike, regardless their age or maturity...

It just boils down to the fact that it's a better way to learn... besides, nothing teaches you respect for wind, buffer zones, etc. like being on a bike that weighs only 300-400 lbs... (or less, even).
    bike
    1st bike: 1982 Yamaha XS 400 Seca
    current bike: 2001 Devinci Caribou M
    current bike: Suzuki VL800SEK7 red/black

At 6ft a vulcan 500 is small my wife had one and I could barley ride it, way too crampt. Same for all the <500 cc cruisers for a tall guy.

2008 Triumph Bonneville T100
    2009 Harley Ultra Classic
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT