Cruiser beginner bikes?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruiser beginner bikes?

Cruiser beginner bikes?

Hey all, never posted in here...hah

so a buddy of mine is dying to get riding, I am trying my darnedest to get him started.

Hes dead set on a cruiser style bike (no issues there, just have no knowledge o this stuff)

Please post your recommendations regarding a beginner cruiser bike.
    250-600 cc or whatever works.

Realistic price range, no harlies here...

Thanks a bunch!
    but its our job to end this and ride motorcycles like men...today's society is soft as hell. but riding a 600cc is the least you can do...

Imperialengravers.com --------------
    ------------------------------------
    ---------------------------

Re: Cruiser beginner bikes?

How tall is he?
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

6ft

hes got his eye on a vulcan 500...
    but its our job to end this and ride motorcycles like men...today's society is soft as hell. but riding a 600cc is the least you can do...

Many things to consider, but make sure they do some homework and find something that suits them. The next point is price, what's he hoping to pay? Remind them they will need a lid, jacket, gloves....ect as well and that can eat into the old budget!
    If he's looking at a 500 vulcan, a 650 v-star or shadow 750 would also be in the realm, so many bikes from 400-1100cc that are rider friendly.
    Cheers
    Aminal
    In the breeze

right on, not worried about gear budget...
    im seeing alot on trader in the 3500-5000 for a 2003+ vulcan 500 style bike

but post up some models, im useless at cruisers.

Vulcan
    V-star
    Shadow

Is the Vulcan a 4 or 5 speed? I think the older ones are only 4 speed and I would definitely recommend against that.

Also, a jump to something like a V Star 650 or even the Suzuki 800 would not be out of line for a larger man. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that anything smaller than the 800, and your friend will be bored with it by the end of the summer. The 650 is a fine little bike, but is underpowered for any serious riding.

My wife started out on a Suzuki Savage (single-cylinder 650) and by the next season, was riding a Volusia 800.

A good place to just look at the market is www.northernmotorsports.com
    They're in Bradford and usually have a decent selection.
    Cheers
    Aminal
    In the breeze

Quote Originally Posted by Scob View Post
    Is the Vulcan a 4 or 5 speed? I think the older ones are only 4 speed and I would definitely recommend against that.

Also, a jump to something like a V Star 650 or even the Suzuki 800 would not be out of line for a larger man. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that anything smaller than the 800, and your friend will be bored with it by the end of the summer. The 650 is a fine little bike, but is underpowered for any serious riding.

My wife started out on a Suzuki Savage (single-cylinder 650) and by the next season, was riding a Volusia 800.
    In fact Vulcan 500 is the only one, I know, with 6 speed tranny.

I will give the same advice that I give to all new riders....go sit on a bunch of bikes and see what bikes fit the best. Some of the smaller cruisers can feel cramped for a taller person. The other thing to do is to call for insurance quotes on the different bikes that are under consideration. Quite often the cost jumps significantly for a new rider once you get over a certain engine size.

Best of Luck

I recommend the all round best cruiser bike I've seen the Honda Shadow 750 (1998 and forward) They are reliable, stylish and just keep going! Great bikes.
    Lets Ride

I have got alot of votes and recommendations for Shadow and Vulcan 900.
    for beginners, price, comfort, power, etc.

thanks for the suggestions!

I'm 6'3" and my Shadow 750 fits great.
    That said, the point earlier about wanting somthing bigger/faster after the first season applies to me (I find myself wishing for a 1100 or bigger now, even though those seemed excessively large to me before I started riding).

I think it all comes down to budget - if your buddy is rich, I'd suggest he start bigger, but my insurance quotes doubled after anything bigger than the 750.

Quote Originally Posted by jolomatic View Post
    I'm 6'3" and my Shadow 750 fits great.
    That said, the point earlier about wanting somthing bigger/faster after the first season applies to me (I find myself wishing for a 1100 or bigger now, even though those seemed excessively large to me before I started riding).

I think it all comes down to budget - if your buddy is rich, I'd suggest he start bigger, but my insurance quotes doubled after anything bigger than the 750.
    Actually, if money is no object, he should start small (rebel 250) and upgrade after hes got 1000km on it.

If he's trying to keep costs down, the shadow 750 is an excellent middle ground.

Quote Originally Posted by RicoChet View Post
    I recommend the all round best cruiser bike I've seen the Honda Shadow 750 (1998 and forward) They are reliable, stylish and just keep going! Great bikes.

+1. If I was into cruisers that would have been the route I took. Shaft driven on some models too, so no chain to clean/lube!!
    o~`o
    VSRI #1930
    The most common problem with motorcycles is the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by jolomatic View Post
    Actually, if money is no object, he should start small (rebel 250) and upgrade after hes got 1000km on it.

If he's trying to keep costs down, the shadow 750 is an excellent middle ground.
    I don't know about that...
    I took that route... The 250cc Rebel was my first motorcycle, what a drag!
    You need to rev the heck out of it to get that little 233cc 18 hp lawnmower moving... and when you are revving it high, or doing anything above 100km/hr, you're pretty much riding a paintcan shaker. Have you ever been beaten off of a green light start by a scooter? It's embarrassing. I couldn't ride that thing for more than a couple hours without my legs cramping up. Wasn't long before I sold it, I was sad to see her go, but forgot about her by the next day when I picked up the new bike.

I don't think I gained anything by riding her... besides motorcycle mechanics 101... she was 23 years old so she needed basic tlc (new brakes, sprockets, chain, and seat). For 1,000 km? I don't see a point in buying a bike and selling it three weeks later...

Quote Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
    In fact Vulcan 500 is the only one, I know, with 6 speed tranny.

Yes, you are correct - it is the Shadow VLX that is a 4speed. We looked at a bunch of bikes when my wife started riding and got them mixed up. Thanks.

I think intervention is in order here.... SV650

I have to thank a salesman at Cycle World West for directing me away from a cruiser to a standard bike for my first bike.

Best decision ever
    Last edited by spankayf; 03-04-2010 at 12:42 PM.

Do i ever agree with you...! and i want him to get an sv650 or ninja 250...but realistically hes more of a cruiser type guy...

to each his own...

maybe his mind will change after trying the maurader and the cbr 125 with RTI

Buy a chrome skull from Canadian Tire and stick it on the SV .... instant cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    I don't know about that...
    I took that route... The 250cc Rebel was my first motorcycle, what a drag!
    You need to rev the heck out of it to get that little 233cc 18 hp lawnmower moving... and when you are revving it high, or doing anything above 100km/hr, you're pretty much riding a paintcan shaker. Have you ever been beaten off of a green light start by a scooter? It's embarrassing. I couldn't ride that thing for more than a couple hours without my legs cramping up. Wasn't long before I sold it, I was sad to see her go, but forgot about her by the next day when I picked up the new bike.

I don't think I gained anything by riding her... besides motorcycle mechanics 101... she was 23 years old so she needed basic tlc (new brakes, sprockets, chain, and seat). For 1,000 km? I don't see a point in buying a bike and selling it three weeks later...
    I was being a little tongue in cheek with that...
    I just had a lot of fun on the little 125cc bikes at the MTO course, and for that first few weeks making the transition from complete novice to having a feel for riding, I think I would have had a better time with a small, light bike.

But yes, I don't imagine being happy with something that size for long... which is why I mentioned it only if the guy is loaded.