1989 FJ600 exhaust question

Thread: 1989 FJ600 exhaust question

1989 FJ600 exhaust question

Hey, new to the boards - just have a quick question. Recently purchased a 1989 Yamaha Fj600, looking over the bike i noticed that on the underside of exhaust there is a drilled hole on the lower part of the muffler. I'm assuming this is to drain any condensation build up in the pipes.

My question is, is the a normal thing? Is this the way the pipes come stock? Just curious because i am going to be bringing the bike in to get a safety standards check done on it and I wasnt sure If i had to patch the hole or not.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Re: 1989 FJ600 exhaust question

Question really belongs in the "technical" section, but anyhow, that is a drain hole, and it's designed to be there. If the inspection calls you on it, then explain that it is a drain hole.

my fz750 had the same thing. for moisture to escape as your pipes rise up so water does not collect and rust out your exhuast

My 1985 FJ600 had them as well. Always thought they were a good idea when I saw how much mositure came out on a cold morning start.

My 89 CBR600 and my 98 CBR 600 both had steel stock mufflers, and had a pinhole drilled in the bottom front lip of the muffler to drain water.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---