A Dozen Ways to Die

Thread: A Dozen Ways to Die

A Dozen Ways to Die

Killer advice for the living-impaired

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there were 5091 motorcycle fatalities in the U.S. in 2008-more than any year since 1975. Meanwhile, there were fewer automotive fatalities in '08 than any other year in that time period. After 40 years of riding, I'm the sort of coward who plays it safe. If you don't, here are 12 ways to drastically increase your chances of dying.

1. Lose the helmet: NASCAR drivers wear them to race again next weekend. Kids wear them on bicycles because mom wants them home for dinner. Football and hockey players survive puny, 20-mph collisions all afternoon, but your unprotected skull is hard enough. Smack it against something solid and you're toast-or hamburger.

2. Wear basic black: How many times has some policeman presiding over a motorcycle accident heard a driver say, "I never saw him, officer"? Why stand out in bright colors like white, red, orange or yellow when you can peg the macho-meter in black leather? That's the color your family and friends will wear to your funeral.

3. Go naked: Okay, it's against the law to ride in the nude, but to really wow those hot ER nurses, strip down to a T-shirt, cutoffs and flip-flops. Beauty may be skin-deep, but nothing impresses a medical professional like road rash down to the bone.

4. Start big: Rookie riders in Europe and Japan are required to learn the basics on something small and manageable, but you don't. Life is short, and the best way to shorten it further is with inexperience and 180 horsepower.

5. Be a night rider: Nighttime is the right time, because that's when four-wheelers can't see so well. Especially the ones who just popped a few cold ones after work. One little bike headlight makes you half as visible as the two on a car. Every time the sun goes down, your odds of becoming a statistic go up.

6. Have one more for the road: Toss back enough liquid talent to slow your reaction time and dull your senses. If you're really lucky, you'll just end up in a nice, safe jail cell with a DUI conviction and no driver's license.

7. Cut class: What's with these motorcycle-training programs anyway? We'll never crack 10,000 deaths per annum if instructors have their way. Real life is the best education-followed shortly by real death.

8. Go faster: Newton's laws of motion say you're less likely to die at 5 mph: not enough kinetic energy, no equal/opposite reaction. Crank it up to 70 or more so even a little mistake will have major consequences.

9. Let it be: Forget preventive maintenance. Checking the oil, tire pressure and chain tension could actually prevent an accident, so don't. Imagine the thrill of seizing an engine on the Interstate!

10. Let it rain: One tiny contact patch steers the bike and does most of the stopping. Another puts the power down. Boring? Just add water. Snow and ice are even better.

11. Loud pipes waste lives: Remember that thundering V-twin that set off car alarms as it passed? Ditch your muffler so oncoming traffic will hear you and be extra careful. Actually, they won't, but ride like an immortal anyway 'til some cage driver proves you're not.

12. Bring on the E-'stractions: Talk to and text everybody in your cell phone's address book while you ride. If that's too difficult, clutter your cockpit with a GPS receiver, satellite radio, MP3 player, radar detector, etc. and let them lull you into an electronic trance. You'll never see what hit you.

By Vince Ciotti

Re: A Dozen Ways to Die

Quote Originally Posted by REDBALLS View Post
    Killer advice for the living-impaired

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there were 5091 motorcycle fatalities in the U.S. in 2008-more than any year since 1975. Meanwhile, there were fewer automotive fatalities in '08 than any other year in that time period. After 40 years of riding, I'm the sort of coward who plays it safe. If you don't, here are 12 ways to drastically increase your chances of dying.

1. Lose the helmet: NASCAR drivers wear them to race again next weekend. Kids wear them on bicycles because mom wants them home for dinner. Football and hockey players survive puny, 20-mph collisions all afternoon, but your unprotected skull is hard enough. Smack it against something solid and you're toast-or hamburger.
    This really is the single largest reason for the large number of motorcycle fatalities in the USA. Many states had repealed helmet laws and fatalities have gone up accordingly. You pretty much can stop at this point as the rest are pretty minor compared to this one.

2. Wear basic black: How many times has some policeman presiding over a motorcycle accident heard a driver say, "I never saw him, officer"? Why stand out in bright colors like white, red, orange or yellow when you can peg the macho-meter in black leather? That's the color your family and friends will wear to your funeral.

I think hi-vis is highly overrated. If drivers aren't looking at you or if you are hidden by motion camouflage it simply doesn't matter. Having said that I do have some reflective strips on my bike and my gear includes reflective strips as well.

Please take a look at the links below:

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

5. Be a night rider: Nighttime is the right time, because that's when four-wheelers can't see so well. Especially the ones who just popped a few cold ones after work. One little bike headlight makes you half as visible as the two on a car. Every time the sun goes down, your odds of becoming a statistic go up.
    My bike has two headlights and they are very bright (and aimed correctly!) If you ride in congested areas I agree that you can get lost in all the visual background noise quit easily. If you do so, then proper positioning and the concepts in the SMIDSY links become even more important.

If you ride away from congested areas the biggest thing to watch for isn't cars but wildlife, and good headlights (aimed properly) help here. The key to staying alive in night riding is being very aware of the situation around you.

8. Go faster: Newton's laws of motion say you're less likely to die at 5 mph: not enough kinetic energy, no equal/opposite reaction. Crank it up to 70 or more so even a little mistake will have major consequences.
    There is virtually no correlation between speed driven on roads and fatality rates. In fact, in Canada and worldwide the fastest roads are the safest roads.

However, speed can be a contributing factor in a crash and it is excessive speed for the situation where the problem lies. Excessive speed rarely just means going over the speed limit as speed limits (in Ontario especially) have little to do with safe engineering strategies for the road but have more to do with political considerations.

10. Let it rain: One tiny contact patch steers the bike and does most of the stopping. Another puts the power down. Boring? Just add water. Snow and ice are even better.
    The key to safe riding in rain is the same as night riding plus adding a bit more smoothness to your technique (which is always a good idea anyway.)

12. Bring on the E-'stractions: Talk to and text everybody in your cell phone's address book while you ride. If that's too difficult, clutter your cockpit with a GPS receiver, satellite radio, MP3 player, radar detector, etc. and let them lull you into an electronic trance. You'll never see what hit you.

By Vince Ciotti
    I only half disagree agree with this statement. Talking and texting are just dumb ideas most of the time. Listening to music, having a GPS, etc can have no impact on safety if done properly. Being consumed by the use of any of the devices can be a bad thing, but music might help you stay more attentive. GPS can help you understand what the road has in store for you ahead, and radar detectors (illegal in Ontario) can help you be aware of the potential hazard presented by a Police car on the side of the road.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Re: A Dozen Ways to Die

I am so tired of being told that we have a risk of being injured or killed, we all know. Ride smart and keep your head up, in the end its all that will help you; as you are the only one who can keep you alive. Thats the be all end all, if something happens, its your fault . But yes, always wear a helmet.
    Yes I have bad Spelling, Yes I have bad grammar, and no, I don’t care if it bugs you.

88 Suzuki Kantana-Crashed@ 69K
    01- Kawi zzr250 18K-sold
    87/02 Honda hurricane/600rr hybrid. 76K still going.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”