When must you use a torque wrench? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When must you use a torque wrench?

Re: When must you use a torque wrench?

I use one whenever I can. For the extra couple of seconds it takes to set the wrench why not.............

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf In Canada View Post
    If you watch the fix your hog videos they use torque wrenches. Most car dealerships use them now to check the bolts on tires when installing. So I'm thinking hmmm, there's a reason..
    The main reason for using a torque wrench on wheel lug nuts is due to the brake rotors. Improperly torqued lug nuts will cause a brake vibration. Back in the olden days, brake rotors were a part of the hub, all cast in one piece. They were not very sensitive to improper torque. The current design is very sensitive to it.

As for the original question, I use a torque wrench for just about anthing that has a gasket (I do not use one for drain plugs), any internal engine/trans bolts or any of the torque to yield bolts. If you are new to this, use one until you feel comfortable not using it.

The ones on sale at the tire are 1/2" and 3/8" drive. The 1/2" is, in general, a bit big for most motorcycle fasteners. The 3/8" drive is better for the lower torques found on bikes. What I have found is that a 1/4" drive torque wrench is the best for motorcycle use. It is better suited to lower torque values. The wrench is closer to the middle of its range, where it is at its most accurate. The 1/4" is harder to find and a little more expensive, but if you care enough to torque it in the first place, it's the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by twinn View Post
    Decided to go too Univeristity instead.

A torque wrench should technically be used on every fastener. If there isn't a torque spec for a specific bolt then the spec for the bolt diameter and grade should be used ... this is in an ideal world.
    When I've had an apprentice in the past they use a torque wrench on almost everything. This builds up the ability to 'feel' the correct torque.

There is only one problem when using a torque wrench ... it adds an additional step. I am a firm believer in if a bolt / nut is run in then it gets tightened. That way if your attention is pulled away from what you're doing you can visually tell what's been tightened. I have seen too many times bolts getting seated without the proper torque because of this.
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc.../gear-ratchet/

Anyone know where to buy this or if it is any good?

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    remind me not to go to your shop, thanks for the info
    find me a shop where the guy uses a torque wrench for every oil change... more trouble than its worth.

in an ideal world yes. but in this one... nope.

however, on other things, like when assembling engines, then i take my time, and do everything nice, slow, and proper. but for an oil change? hell when i do my own oil changes its in the garage at home with a regular wrench and bucket. is nobody else guilty of this? am i alone?
    Last edited by insert; 02-28-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by insert View Post
    find me a shop where the guy uses a torque wrench for every oil change... more trouble than its worth.

however, on other things, like when assembling engines, then i take my time, and do everything nice, slow, and proper. but for an oil change? hell when i do my own oil changes its in the garage at home with a regular wrench and bucket. is nobody else guilty of this? am i alone?
    you didnt say oil change pal. Now you are. Do I need to quote you again?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by insert View Post

I used to work in a shop,I've never used a torque wrench to tighten an oil drain bolt,and have never seen anyone else use one for an oil drain bolt either.

I def need one i striped my friggin drain plug before.

Lightbulb Re: When must you use a torque wrench?

Quote Originally Posted by gideel View Post
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc.../gear-ratchet/

Anyone know where to buy this or if it is any good?

all canadian retailers of gear wrench products....
    http://www.gearwrench.com/wheretobuy...tobuy.jsp?r=ca

Only use one for engine work. Never use one for anything else and cant count how many threads I have repaired over the years from DIY guys who stripped out aluminum using a torque wrench. Not saying dont use one just saying it isnt necessarily gonna save ya.
    A torque spec given for say a oil drain bolt was when it was new in the factory but after its been in and out many times that value is generally to strong and can get you in big trouble if you try to maintain it over the years.

I only use it in critical areas, just brake calipers, engine mounting bolts....internal motor parts, etc.

but for stuff like drain plug bolts, external mounting bolts...i pass...i'd just a regular wrench/ratchet to get a feel of how much torque im applying to the fastner.

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    you didnt say oil change pal. Now you are. Do I need to quote you again?
    i highlighted the part where you're wrong, pal.

refer to post #15. where i quote the OP who was asking about oil drain plug, coolant drain plug, etc. and i reply that i never used a torque wrench for "these things". i thought it was pretty clear.
    Last edited by insert; 03-01-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by sircastic View Post
    If there isn't a torque spec for a specific bolt then the spec for the bolt diameter and grade should be used ... this is in an ideal world.
    posts like this = the reason why rookies strip out their drain plugs

ie the drain plug in my car is 14mm. I looked up the torque spec just now, for a 10.9 14mm bolt, and it's 131 foot lbs.

I don't really know what torque my drain plug needs, but it sure as hell doesn't need 131 foot lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    posts like this = the reason why rookies strip out their drain plugs

ie the drain plug in my car is 14mm. I looked up the torque spec just now, for a 10.9 14mm bolt, and it's 131 foot lbs.

I don't really know what torque my drain plug needs, but it sure as hell doesn't need 131 foot lbs.
    Have a look in your service manual and tell me there isn't a torque spec for a drain plug with a crush washer ...

It's ignorance that would cause someone to strip a drain plug not a post on the internet describing at a conceptual level what should be done.
    Last edited by sircastic; 03-01-2010 at 11:28 AM.
    Soar # 21

Never too old for fun.

I still don't get how people manage to overtighten drain bolts. Are they all meatheads on steroids with gorilla arms? Cross-threading is something else, that's just plain incompetence.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

When I first started wrenching I would break off bolts, strip threads, etc. Once I learned the "feel" of how tight fasteners should be I rarely use a torque wrench. Engine internals like connecting rod caps, head bolts, etc need to be torqued.

I would be surprised if a mechanic was tighteneing every fastener with a torque wrench. There are many things that are not done by the book. An example is replacing every lockwasher after each use (they are one time use parts). Same goes for the locking tab washers. As long as there is still a portion that has not been bent I reuse them.
    Semper ubi sub ubi

I worked yrs ago with a mechanic that built race engines for stock cars and was by day a dealership mechanic. He torqued every fitting on the race engines and every part and fitting was cataloged. He used his elbow as a guage at the dealership unless it was a critical part.

You do get a feel for "tight" with aluminum and copper threads, but the torque wrench wasn't invented to fill drawers in the toolbox.

Like my plumber buddy says, after tight comes wet.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    I still don't get how people manage to overtighten drain bolts.
    It was a rainy day in Pizzaville when my buddy laid on his back to untighten a drain bolt but instead he unloosened it because he got disoriented. That's one way.

Quote Originally Posted by inreb View Post
    It was a rainy day in Pizzaville when my buddy laid on his back to untighten a drain bolt but instead he unloosened it because he got disoriented. That's one way.

Good point, most undo the drain plug with it facing away from them thinking (smartly) that they won't end up with a face full of oil but then might forget that to loosen the they need to turn it the opposite way.
    Soar # 21

Never too old for fun.