Buying without getting insurance or platted

Thread: Buying without getting insurance or platted

Buying without getting insurance or platted

I want to buy a used bike. I won't be riding it. It's just going to sit in my garage and I'm going to take it apart. Is it possible to have the ownership transferred without having insurance and without getting the bike registered?

I looked at the back of a Vehicle Permit. It has a part about filling out the insurance details about the bike. If all I want to do is have the bike as a possession that I won't be riding; how would I go about doing this?

Re: Buying without getting insurance or platted

Also, it it possible to purchase a license plate for a motorcycle without it being linked to a specific vehicle.

You can buy a bike and register it as unfit and you don't need it plated or insured. As for the plate it is assigned to the specific vehicle unless you have a dealers licence then you can move a dealer plate from vehicle to vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Smokinjoe View Post
    You can buy a bike and register it as unfit and you don't need it plated or insured. As for the plate it is assigned to the specific vehicle unless you have a dealers licence then you can move a dealer plate from vehicle to vehicle.
    And I can always go and get it re-registered as fit and road worthy later on once I get the insurance and safety stuff sorted out right?

Quote Originally Posted by indrish View Post
    And I can always go and get it re-registered as fit and road worthy later on once I get the insurance and safety stuff sorted out right?
    yes once you get a safety and insurance you can go in and get it plated

Quote Originally Posted by 31Smokinjoe View Post
    You can buy a bike and register it as unfit and you don't need it plated or insured.
    You can do 'fit' without plate and insurance.

Transferring ownership of the bike does not require plate or insurance.

1) If you want to transfer the bike under a 'fit' title, you will need a safety cert.
    Else, if you do not have a safety cert, 'unfit' is your only option.

2) You can own a plate without having it registered to any vehicle.

3) If you want to assign a plate to your motorcycle, you will need proof of valid insurance.
    '01 SV650s
    '04 GS500
    '03 SV650s
    '07 GSX-R 600

yes, you have have the bike with out registering it with the Ministry, as long as you're not out riding it.

To register you must have bike's VIN # (to be plated)